Extension Cords?

Ok now I know you are not supposed to use extension cords for soda and snack machines due to fire hazards but I have a new location and their only plug is inbetween their two bathroom doors and the area they want the machines is right next to the bathrooms. The cord would have to go above the bathroom door to the outlet but it is not long enough and this is the only place they have an area for the machines. Is there maybe a heavy duty extension cord I could use to reach the outlet? I am short about 3-4 feet. Or any other option I am not thinking of? Thanks

Ok now I know you are not supposed to use extension cords for soda and snack machines due to fire hazards but I have a new location and their only plug is inbetween their two bathroom doors and the area they want the machines is right next to the bathrooms. The cord would have to go above the bathroom door to the outlet but it is not long enough and this is the only place they have an area for the machines. Is there maybe a heavy duty extension cord I could use to reach the outlet? I am short about 3-4 feet. Or any other option I am not thinking of? Thanks

I am very new to vending so don't take my advice unless someone else says it is a good idea!

What I would think of doing is getting a surge protector (a good one) Usually they have a 6 foot or so cord on them. That would give you the 3-4 feet you need and would let you plug into a surge protector. No idea if this would be a good or bad idea so like I said, don't listen to me unless someone actually says you can do this.

The problem with using extension cords is that most people don't use the right size for what they are powering. Keep the cord length to a minimum and get a heavy gauge cord. Thinner, longer cords add more resistance to the circuit= heat= fire.

Does the machine have a refrigeration unit? Also, with it being in a bathroom, you'll want it to be GFCI protected.

What I would do in a case like this is to replace the entire cord with a longer one. Because of the additional length no less than a 12 gauge wire.

Surge protectors won't protect the machine or outlet from a fire.

This is a long shot, but have you asked the location to install an outlet where they want the machine? I have one location that wanted a drink machine in a specific location, but since there was not outlet there, they took on the expense of putting in the outlet where they wanted the machine.

Installing a surge protector in this case would probably make things worst. I agree with mission and ben ( I refuse to call someone buckethead unless I have seen their work)

10 to12 gauge heavy duty extension cord at your local hardware store will cost you most likely between 50 and a 100 dollars but well worth it if you like sleeping at night. Also check your local electrical codes. It is a violation in the National Electric Code to install an extension cord thru a door, wall, or ceiling on a permanent basis unless the cord is needed to perform temporary work.

Just an FYI

You could also make your own extension cord or better yet, replace the cord in the machine with a longer cord. Lowes, Home Depot, and my local Ace Hardware all sell extension cord wire by the foot. You could take the existing cord out of the machine and replace it with a custom length cord that would suit your location yet still be hard-wired to the machine. I would probably go with 10 or 12 gauge wire.

Using an extension for a permanent installation is code violation.

If there is a fire the fire marshal will find your extension cord and blame you

I say do it right or don’t do it. You will sleep better.

Walta

Without knowing what type of machine you are speaking of no one can answer this question. There are issue that you need to be aware of doing this.

Manufacturers do not recommend extension cords and their UL listing is based on the cord type and length that is on the machine and plugged into a wall outlet. Changing any of this changes liability.

There is also the issue that it may be against fire codes and building codes to go over a door way. I would,t go over a door anyway there is always a chance the cord could get pulled down.

A surge protector or power strip is a bad idea as someone will always piggyback something oin the machine you do not want.

A long extension cord acts as an antenna that will introduce airborne crap into your electrical supply.

Shauna is correct that the only correct way to do this is by adding another outlet in the wall. Don't skimp. There is a reason the saying penny wise and pound foolish exists.

Looks like walta banged me while I was typing!!!!

Archived