How to reccomend a Full line operator?

I'm a bulk operator, and in my locating efforts I'm often getting asked by clients if I can supply snack/drink machines. I don't have the resources to run full line, so usually I can't do anything to help them. Many times I'll find businesses disatisifed with their full-line guy (for instance, a local manager at a grocery store can't get the Coke guy to restock bottled water) and I get the call because my machines are nearby- only to explain to them that that's not my "department".

I got this question today from a guy who wanted a soda machine at his consignment store- and I said I'd look around for a vendor who could help him out. I'm trying to figure out the best way to reccomend a local full line guy. So, if I was reccomending a full line operator to a prospective location I stumbled upon, how would you have me pitch that one? Or would it be better if I just let these slide? I hate to see locations that could have machines (and make money) that don't have them- but I lack the resources to take them on myself.

Thanks guys!

Well.. in all honesty, i would offer a couple of things here if I were in your position, but I do full-line.

If you could find and honest guy (a real honest guy, not one that appears honest, which is difficult to differentiate) who does full-line and put a "partnership" together, you could do that. You could also act as a locator and have people pay you something reasonable and cheap to make them act, like $50, to locate these accounts for them (by just telling them who to talk to!). You could let it slide... but there's that risk (probably a small one) that a full-liner will also try to get a contract to have the rights over the bulk vending as well.

However, being that I am full-line, I would tell you to get a bottle machine for $500 and start selling some product! The only problem is that I don't think bulk-vending and full-line mix very well... meaning... it seems that bulk locations tend to be in restaurants and malls where the bottlers often have the rights to while full-line vendors tend to be in businesses where they take care of all of the candy and soda demand. What am I trying to say? The locations that you mention might be crappy and perhaps no full-liner would take them anyway. Grocery store owners often want large commissions because they are used to it from the bottlers but you probably wouldn't want anything to do with that deal and neither would any vendor. I surely would rarely consider placing a machine outside of a grocery store, due to the fact that many here stock their own machines or want huge commissions if you do it for them.

I would stay away from making recommendations unless you know who you are recommending VERY VERY WELL!!!

Here's why. If you make a recommendation then you are "on the hook" so to speak for what that guy does or doesn't do. You referred him and the future of your relationship with the location could possibly depend on it.

I would rather take the risk of losing the account to a full line guy that also has some bulk machines than bringing in a guy that gets me booted.

That's my .02.

Archived