Can I get compressors WITHOUT the entire deck?

Hi everybody. I've been busy for the past few weeks (maybe longer, I really don't know). Is it possible to get a compressor for a Vendo 407?

I have a friend that wants to buy a replacement compressor for a vending machine that he had acquired months ago. He got it due to some business transaction but he doesn't deal with vending machines at all. He sold the machine to a friend of his and the compressor went out and he wants to save a buck (if he can) by replacing the compressor only. I told him that it would probably be better and easier to just replace the compressor deck entirely but he insists on replacing just the compressor since he *knows* it's the compressor.

He works with refrigeration on a daily basis so he does have knowledge about refrigeration. I just can't find a place that sells compressors by themselves because I don't know how to look for them! Anything?

I also think it might cost more to replace the compressor than to swap it out with a refurbished compressor deck... we'll see!

Why yes you can. If he has experience and the proper equipment, you can save a lot of money replacing just the compressor. Average cost for a basic replacement compressor is around $200-300 for a say coke machine. Just get the model, serial, tonnage, and voltage of the compressor for a proper match and contact a HVAC wholesaler like Johnstone Supply. If he works in the industry he should have plenty of contacts.

There are two main ways a compressor goes. Mechanically (valves) and electrically (windings). I find most compressors go out due to lack of maintenance more than age. Cleaning the condenser and evaporator is a must for happy compressor life. You may find the extra bucks to get a replacement deck may be a little easier than finding a compressor, matching capacitor and refrigerant. If it is a electrical burn out, more than likely there is acid in the system that must be flushed out or the new compressor will definitely not last long.

What kind of machine? A dn deck costs me about 250 if the comp is that much just get the whole deck

This is what I was thinking too. I saw a compressor deck for $230~ from various sources whereas a new compressor goes for at least that much. By the way, it's a Vendo 407. Read the first sentence :D .

Why yes you can. If he has experience and the proper equipment, you can save a lot of money replacing just the compressor. Average cost for a basic replacement compressor is around $200-300 for a say coke machine. Just get the model, serial, tonnage, and voltage of the compressor for a proper match and contact a HVAC wholesaler like Johnstone Supply. If he works in the industry he should have plenty of contacts.

There are two main ways a compressor goes. Mechanically (valves) and electrically (windings). I find most compressors go out due to lack of maintenance more than age. Cleaning the condenser and evaporator is a must for happy compressor life. You may find the extra bucks to get a replacement deck may be a little easier than finding a compressor, matching capacitor and refrigerant. If it is a electrical burn out, more than likely there is acid in the system that must be flushed out or the new compressor will definitely not last long.

I don't think this is going to save any money at all. As dogcow mentioned (and as I implied), it costs $200-$300 to swap out the compressor deck with a refurbished unit. I was hoping to find a source that sells compressors for cheap but I doubted that I would find it.

Hi everybody. I've been busy for the past few weeks (maybe longer, I really don't know). Is it possible to get a compressor for a Vendo 407?

I have a friend that wants to buy a replacement compressor for a vending machine that he had acquired months ago. He got it due to some business transaction but he doesn't deal with vending machines at all. He sold the machine to a friend of his and the compressor went out and he wants to save a buck (if he can) by replacing the compressor only. I told him that it would probably be better and easier to just replace the compressor deck entirely but he insists on replacing just the compressor since he *knows* it's the compressor.

He works with refrigeration on a daily basis so he does have knowledge about refrigeration. I just can't find a place that sells compressors by themselves because I don't know how to look for them! Anything?

I also think it might cost more to replace the compressor than to swap it out with a refurbished compressor deck... we'll see!

My guy gets parts here:

COLDPARTS, INC.

4401 S. WESTERN BLVD.

CHICAGO, IL. 60609

PHONE (773) 247-8842

FAX (773) 247-8742

http://coldparts.com/company/

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of compressors and such. What do you guys use to clean your fans, etc. Do you just bring in a portable air compressor and blow it out thru the grate on the front? Do you pull the machine out and go at it from the backside?

If you use a portable air compressor, which brand do you use?

Speaking of compressors and such. What do you guys use to clean your fans, etc. Do you just bring in a portable air compressor and blow it out thru the grate on the front? Do you pull the machine out and go at it from the backside?

If you use a portable air compressor, which brand do you use?

Actually, my parents bought me a portable mini shop-vac as a gift. The little guy is less than the size of a 5-gallon bucket and doesn't weigh much either. One of the attachments is a narrow tube that provides extra suction for getting between the slots that are full of crap. It also works as a blower as well so you can hook up the tube on the exhaust side and blow stuff out. It works great but there's also some refrigeration deck cleaner that you can buy. The stuff is expensive (something like $20+/bottle I think? maybe more..) but it dissolves pretty much everything that gets stuck in there and it's not too toxic either!

Actually, my parents bought me a portable mini shop-vac as a gift. The little guy is less than the size of a 5-gallon bucket and doesn't weigh much either. One of the attachments is a narrow tube that provides extra suction for getting between the slots that are full of crap. It also works as a blower as well so you can hook up the tube on the exhaust side and blow stuff out. It works great but there's also some refrigeration deck cleaner that you can buy. The stuff is expensive (something like $20+/bottle I think? maybe more..) but it dissolves pretty much everything that gets stuck in there and it's not too toxic either!

So you just clean it from the front where that intake gate is? Don't you need to get deep in there where the fan is,etc? I ask, because I don't know. I try to keep that intake grate clean, but I wonder if deep inside is building up a bunch of crud that I can't see.

I'm talking about pop machines here

So you just clean it from the front where that intake gate is? Don't you need to get deep in there where the fan is,etc? I ask, because I don't know. I try to keep that intake grate clean, but I wonder if deep inside is building up a bunch of crud that I can't see.

I'm talking about pop machines here

Yeah, I use the exhaust side of the shop-vac to BLOW the dust out from the back of the condensor, then I suck it out with the intake side of the shop-vac. It works quite well believe it or not. The trick is to have a good narrow attachment that will concentrate on the small spaces between the metal on the condenser/evaporator.

Yeah, I use the exhaust side of the shop-vac to BLOW the dust out from the back of the condensor, then I suck it out with the intake side of the shop-vac. It works quite well believe it or not. The trick is to have a good narrow attachment that will concentrate on the small spaces between the metal on the condenser/evaporator.

Hmm, OK thanks. I think I'm understanding that you blow it from the back of the machine to the front. I just blow it from the front...a bunch of dirt comes flying out the back and I assume all is well. To blow it from the back means you have to pull the machine out to do it. I've got a place that I need to clean every 2 weeks. I guess I really need to pull those away from the wall and see what's in there.

Just gotta be careful that you don't get everybody mad by creating a big cloud of dust and getting it all over the place. Its never happened to me, but I've heard of it happening that if the dust is thick enough it can trigger some of the newer type sprinkler systems that are optically activated and not temp activated

Hmm, OK thanks. I think I'm understanding that you blow it from the back of the machine to the front. I just blow it from the front...a bunch of dirt comes flying out the back and I assume all is well. To blow it from the back means you have to pull the machine out to do it. I've got a place that I need to clean every 2 weeks. I guess I really need to pull those away from the wall and see what's in there.

No, it's all from the front. Think of it this way if you've ever gotten a piece of ice stuck in a straw, you can blow the ice back out to get the piece dislodged from the straw. Then, you can suck your beverage again. In that sense, I will blow the dust out that's stuck in the condenser and then when it's floating around, I will suck it all back out again.

Archived