Telling A&A and Northwestern apart

lurtsman

For the super 60 and the A&A imitation. What are the fastest ways to be certain of which machine you are dealing with? A gentlemen informed me that I was wrong about some machines today. I'm not sure if he was right, but it's possible that I made a mistake. I'm looking for some objective ways to find out and be able to tell the difference in the future.

For the super 60 and the A&A imitation. What are the fastest ways to be certain of which machine you are dealing with? A gentlemen informed me that I was wrong about some machines today. I'm not sure if he was right, but it's possible that I made a mistake. I'm looking for some objective ways to find out and be able to tell the difference in the future.

the coin mech tells the whole story! NW has a small square coin mech and AA has an oblong mech. There are other differences but you can tell them apart by just looking at the mech.

I just thought about that someone could put a nw mech on an aa body and vice versa, but I can just look at them and know the difference. One noteable difference is the aa body isnt as sturdy built, it appears to be thinner metal, but actually it just doesnt have the metal clips along the edges.

I've carried the empty ones around from place to place enough to know the A&A machines are lighter- probably back to the thinner metal. The front-plate will be another factor, as A&A have a style (PN 95, and the PM Elite) while Nowthwestern's model 60 has one dominant front-plate design which is pretty much flat without all the extra molding that A&A has. Though I'm sure they don't all have it, my PM Elites have "PM Elite" stamped on the base along with A&A's logo.

The cute flap will have Northwestern on it and the hopper should be stamped aa or northwestern also the hopper is slightly different.

AA Chute flaps have Thank You on them I believe, not at the house or I could verify but pretty sure I am correct.

The cute flap will have Northwestern on it and the hopper should be stamped aa or northwestern also the hopper is slightly different.

Yes and no. A lot of old "big" vending companies paid to have their names stamped on the chute doors. Names that come to mind are Folz, Gabriel, and Curtis. You see these on eBay every now and again. Also, there are a lot of Northwesterns with aftermarket chute doors that are either blank, or have the generic "thank you" stamped on them. Though uncommon, these do exist in the field.

Ok, what am I missing? I don't think I've ever seen an A&A that looked anything like a NW. Unless there is a specific machine Im not aware of, they are both very different looking machines.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

From the pictures earlier it appears that I was correct and that the machines are Northwesterns. I had a buyer tell me I was wrong because it had an A&A Mech in it. I told him I had replaced the original 25 with an A&A50, but he was certain that the color of the machines indicated that they were actually A&A machines. The body matches the picture for Northwesterns perfectly--it does not have those triangle pieces in the corner on the front. I had always used the triangle pieces to tell if it was A&A, and then looked at the mech to check who made the mech (since I figured those could be swapped easily).

they were actually A&A machines. The body matches the picture for Northwesterns perfectly

Can someone post a pic of these? I've never seen an A&A that looked anything like a NW. :blink:

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I think cutting the first sentence there makes it misleading :P.

I'll send a picture to your phone.

Sorry Lurts... My lack of sleep or my aging mind must be playing tricks on me but I don't understand what either of those sentences mean.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I have plenty of A&A machines that look like NW. I also have plenty of NW machines that look like A&A. Only real way is to look for the casting numbers on the lid, hopper and base.

The posts on the chute door are the same size. But most of the A&A have a plastic chute cover whereas NW is metal.

Mechs will interchange mostly but will not on the NW triple or the old Classic machines. If you interchange parts from mechs pay close attention to the plastic cam. They are different in length.

I have plenty of A&A machines that look like NW. I also have plenty of NW machines that look like A&A.

Pics please. I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just have never seen it. I can't find any machine on the aa site that looks anything like a super 60. It would be interesting to know specifically which aa machine you guys are talking about.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I have plenty of A&A machines that look like NW. I also have plenty of NW machines that look like A&A. Only real way is to look for the casting numbers on the lid, hopper and base.

The posts on the chute door are the same size. But most of the A&A have a plastic chute cover whereas NW is metal.

Mechs will interchange mostly but will not on the NW triple or the old Classic machines. If you interchange parts from mechs pay close attention to the plastic cam. They are different in length.

most of my aa ones have a bigger flap posts so maybe i have older ones or something.

I have one A&A PN 95 that had the triangular front pieces pried off by vandals (previous owner) and then it was replaced with flat pieces of cardboard. If it weren't for the mechanism, it could have been mistaken for a Northwestern. I'd post a picture, but I threw the cardboard out, and the machine is in pieces so I can fix a couple aesthetic problems with it. Without the triangular pieces, and a good filler job, it could possibly be mistaken. However, I think any vendor that's familiar with both machines would be able to notice all the subtle differences, and then make the right call.

aa-pmelitep.jpg

That's my point Action. That machine looks nothing like a NW. unless you guys are talking about some sort of modified machine, I don't understand how anyone can confuse the two.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

That's my point Action. That machine looks nothing like a NW. unless you guys are talking about some sort of modified machine, I don't understand how anyone can confuse the two.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Thats what I think two but alot of people i guess are worried about people switching parts. I have a double i just put out that are nw's with aa coin flaps and mechs. So it is not really a nw or aa its actually a hybrid now.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

haha! do we need to get you a stick?

haha! do we need to get you a stick?

Between you and Lurts, I feel like I'm on the outside of an inside joke. I'm not understanding these references. Somebody PM me so I know what the hell is going on. :blink:

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I also have been wondering if this is supposed to be a troll thread because they don't really look alike.

comparison-pic.jpg

I also have been wondering if this is supposed to be a troll thread because they don't really look alike.

comparison-pic.jpg

That was my initial thought but Lurts is not a troll so I'm perplexed.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Archived