Better lock solution

PerformaVending

I have an Evervend triple at a busier stop. It makes pretty good money where it is, but I'm very concerned about the locks. The locks are the old cabinet locks, and if somebody sat there for 5 minutes with so much as a plastic spoon I think they could twist either one loose inside and pull the doors right off without a hitch.

My goal is to replace this machine ASAP with something I can rely on, probably a cheap double or something I can grab cheap off Craigslist, but until then, are there any steps I can take to secure the locks? I understand Evervends are unpopular for a reason, but if anyone has any tips or tricks, I'd be very appreciative!

Thank you everyone for your input!

The old hasp and padlock comes to mine your replace the keyed lock with a barrel key locks. I would see if I could get the barrel key locks to work myself. Under the guise if you do the locks and hasps there stuck on forever or you have holes in your machine permanently and the more you make it secure you make it the more likely it is that someone will want to rip it off. (must have a lot of money in it do to that to it) That is the kind of attention you need to avoid.

The old hasp and padlock comes to mine your replace the keyed lock with a barrel key locks. I would see if I could get the barrel key locks to work myself. Under the guise if you do the locks and hasps there stuck on forever or you have holes in your machine permanently and the more you make it secure you make it the more likely it is that someone will want to rip it off. (must have a lot of money in it do to that to it) That is the kind of attention you need to avoid.

The machine is in a little courtyard outside of a barber shop in my mall location. I replaced my Northwestern Triple Play with it because of the low volume, and figured it'd be a good spot for this one to stay until I sold it. Then things picked up, and it earns it's keep these days. The problem, I guess, isn't even that the locks are bad- it's difficult to explain if you haven't used these machines. The problem is that it uses these cabinet locks, which are secured into the machine with a threaded nut. I have to re-tighten this nut all the time just from unlocking the machine. If the nut gets loose, someone can just turn the lock and the latch all the way around inside, effectively unlocking the machine. I've tried Lock-Tite once, but all that did was make it sticky for awhile. Though I doubt it'll be tampered with, it is a concern of mine. I stand to lose quite a bit of candy and money if some bored kid gets creative.

Like I say, the only "final" solution to this is to replace it. The poor triple is 30+ years old, has had at least 7 former operators, and it's seen better days. A part of me doesn't even want to sell it, because I don't want to saddle another vendor with one of these machines. They look good on the outside, and with proper care they're fine mechanically, but they are far from ideal machines. I just want to buy myself a little more time if I can.

If the nut gets loose, someone can just turn the lock and the latch all the way around inside, effectively unlocking I've tried Lock-Tite once, but all that did was make it sticky for awhile.

you need to use a nylon nut! do you know what Im talking about?

I got a

The machine is in a little courtyard outside of a barber shop in my mall location. I replaced my Northwestern Triple Play with it because of the low volume, and figured it'd be a good spot for this one to stay until I sold it. Then things picked up, and it earns it's keep these days. The problem, I guess, isn't even that the locks are bad- it's difficult to explain if you haven't used these machines. The problem is that it uses these cabinet locks, which are secured into the machine with a threaded nut. I have to re-tighten this nut all the time just from unlocking the machine. If the nut gets loose, someone can just turn the lock and the latch all the way around inside, effectively unlocking the machine. I've tried Lock-Tite once, but all that did was make it sticky for awhile. Though I doubt it'll be tampered with, it is a concern of mine. I stand to lose quite a bit of candy and money if some bored kid gets creative.

Like I say, the only "final" solution to this is to replace it. The poor triple is 30+ years old, has had at least 7 former operators, and it's seen better days. A part of me doesn't even want to sell it, because I don't want to saddle another vendor with one of these machines. They look good on the outside, and with proper care they're fine mechanically, but they are far from ideal machines. I just want to buy myself a little more time if I can.

I got the solution to your problem real easy go to the parts store and get some Red Locktight. That is the Strongest they sell. It comes in Red and Blue. It provides a Chemical Thread lock. You can still get it apart but it will take a little effert to do so. A tube is only a couple of Bucks and should last for a several locks. I used to do AC work and used it on Fan blades for set screws also on rod and Main bolts when I put Engines together. If it can help a small block from coming apart at 7000 rpm it should work great on your set of locks.

If you have a locksmith supply, get so real vending machine locks for it.

thats why I am afraid of those plastic machines, so one could rob you with a hot glue gun.

and another reason to check your machines offen. but as you get bigger, that will get harder thou.

err, your route, not you...

you need to use a nylon nut! do you know what Im talking about?

No I'm afraid not. Where should I get such a thing Will, I'm assuming some hardware places might have it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but again, the lock itself is fine, it's the whole "connect it to the machine" so the whole assembly can't be rotated. Evervends mount the locks on the right side of the machine at an angle to the door- this makes upgrading to better locks difficult. To top it off, I'm not entirely sure this machine is worth the investment.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'll put them to good use!

All right I have a question for you guys. I'm looking at the web site Bill posted and Im trying to find the kind of locks that are on my Oak machine. You know the kind I'm talking about were the lock threads on to the rod. What type of locks are those? Is there a name for those, and could I get that style of lock with a barrel type key? Also is there any other web sites you could recommend like the one Bill posted

No I'm afraid not. Where should I get such a thing Will, I'm assuming some hardware places might have it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but again, the lock itself is fine, it's the whole "connect it to the machine" so the whole assembly can't be rotated. Evervends mount the locks on the right side of the machine at an angle to the door- this makes upgrading to better locks difficult. To top it off, I'm not entirely sure this machine is worth the investment.

http://www.lowes.com/Search=ntlon+nut?storeId=10151&N=0&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&rpp=16

a nylon nut is basically a nut that has nylon plastic in the threads it holds like a lock washer.

All right I have a question for you guys. I'm looking at the web site Bill posted and Im trying to find the kind of locks that are on my Oak machine. You know the kind I'm talking about were the lock threads on to the rod. What type of locks are those? Is there a name for those, and could I get that style of lock with a barrel type key? Also is there any other web sites you could recommend like the one Bill posted

http://www.laigroup.com/pdf/acc-bulk-vendinglocks-camlocks.pdf

this is where I buy my locks, there are other places too. A&A sells locks but there all other vendors have those key codes too.

http://www.lowes.com...Id=10051&rpp=16

a nylon nut is basically a nut that has nylon plastic in the threads it holds like a lock washer.

http://www.laigroup....ks-camlocks.pdf

this is where I buy my locks, there are other places too. A&A sells locks but there all other vendors have those key codes too.

Wow, thanks Will! I'll be putting this information to good use. That nylon nut sounds like a lifesaver! Thanks!

http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=155_163&products_id=12

there you go use small screws or even epoxy to hold that in place prevents the locks from being forced

bill

I have an Evervend triple at a busier stop. It makes pretty good money where it is, but I'm very concerned about the locks. The locks are the old cabinet locks, and if somebody sat there for 5 minutes with so much as a plastic spoon I think they could twist either one loose inside and pull the doors right off without a hitch.

My goal is to replace this machine ASAP with something I can rely on, probably a cheap double or something I can grab cheap off Craigslist, but until then, are there any steps I can take to secure the locks? I understand Evervends are unpopular for a reason, but if anyone has any tips or tricks, I'd be very appreciative!

Thank you everyone for your input!

It could be as simple as they have the wrong nut on them. If they are similar to the vendstar locks I have a few I could send you a set to try out. all you would probably have to change is the little catch end. I have several sets since I have keyed the vendstars all the same. I notice that happened when changing out the locks on the vendstars if I swamped the nuts around they would snug up but not stay tight old Nuts on new locks.

Archived