When do you pull a bulk location?

Davis Caroline

When to pull a location?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. At what monthly average would you pull a location?

• Under $4.00 a month
    • Under $5.00 a month
    • Under $6.00 a month
    • Under $8.00 a month
    • Under $10.00 a month
    • Under $12.00 a month
    • Under $15.00 a month

I am struggling with when I should pull a bulk machine from a location. I tend to pull locations with my nice Northwestern machines so I can place them else where. But for my poor machines such as my Vendstars, I hardly ever pull those because I hate placing a crappy machine somewhere else.

Anyway, wanted to put a poll out there to see what others say. Feel free to also respond to the thread with your number and any comments as well as I think that could help. TIA.

I am struggling with when I should pull a bulk machine from a location. I tend to pull locations with my nice Northwestern machines so I can place them else where. But for my poor machines such as my Vendstars, I hardly ever pull those because I hate placing a crappy machine somewhere else.

Anyway, wanted to put a poll out there to see what others say. Feel free to also respond to the thread with your number and any comments as well as I think that could help. TIA.

The only machine I've pulled so far has a 3 month high of $1.00 so that was a no brainer. But I do have a $5-$7 per month machine that I haven't pulled yet. It is about to turn into my experimental machine with switching different candy out and seeing how that goes. But I would say consistently under $5 a month should get pulled. Depending on what area you live in too, if there are unlimited other locations you can get then the pull limit would probably be higher but I don't have a huge selection here!

Under 70 to 100 a month

Under 70 to 100 a month

Was referring mainly to non-rack accounts.

That said, I think what you are saying plays a role. And what I mean by that is that I think the time you are in this industry dictates ones answer.... I have been set up as an LLC for a little over a year now and I have just at 100 locations. I think I am ready to dump almost half of my current (bottom) locations and only focus on 'more-prime' spots. My guess is that in 2-3 years, I'll want to be upwardly mobile again and want to dump 'good locations' for 'great' rack locations.

My 'route' machines I relocate if they come in under $5.00 a month consistently. I have one exception- that crummy Vendstar. I should just sell it, but until then I have it "buried" at a salon where I'm not likely to get service calls. It has a history of breakdowns, so I don't trust it at better spots, and when I find the time I'll sell it.

I think this is a two or three fold question. It depends on how many months your machine makes low numbers. Value of the machine placed there. The amount of product you have available at a location.

I personally want to make around 15 a month on each machine. Running my vend cost at .08 cents or less That means I make 10.00 clear. 3 head vendstar 5 bucks a head gross.

If you have 2 or three heads there you can try a candy swap a couple of months and see if sales go up.

If not move down a head and move to a longer service cycle for that machine. 2 heads instead of three one instead of 2.

Then work on getting your larger set up working a more profitable location.

There could be the thing that you have a machine that makes low numbers until summer or Christmas and then explodes. That short time makes it worth keeping it there the rest of the year.

How many are low performers. If most of your route is running under 5-10 Pull the lowest preforming and work on getting it into a better location. 5.00 dollar spot is a spot but if you don't have anything to place and it is way out of your normal service area then it might need to go so you have a extra piece of equipment to place somewhere else.

What all of you forgot is that if one new person works at a location or something changes 1.00 per month could easily turn in to 25 per month. Equimpent is cheap instead of pulling stuff buy more. If more than a few years have passed and you have tried many different products and it is hopeless pull it or sell it to a competitor.

What all of you forgot is that if one new person works at a location or something changes 1.00 per month could easily turn in to 25 per month. Equipment is cheap instead of pulling stuff buy more. If more than a few years have passed and you have tried many different products and it is hopeless pull it or sell it to a competitor.

I've had this happen to me both ways. I've had machines wallow with $1.00 total pulls from triples, jump to $20+ and then back down. I keep one triple stocked with unpopular "Baby Face Pacifiers" in hopes that the one person who nearly bought the entire head out last time comes back for seconds. It's based on a runts formula, so time is on my side.

That is a great point Action, thanks!

• 6 months later...

I will pull a machine if I feel the place is about to go out of business. I will downsize a rack to a single or double-head if it makes less than $70 a service cycle. I will pull a single or double-head if it makes less than $10 a service cycle.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2

I agree completely with the $70 mark as the rack performance mark. If it's close, I normally leave it and figure that it will average with other locations, but if it's significantly less, it must be pulled. I find downsizing to a lesser machine is not the way to go as gas expenses are on the rise. I shoot for more per location.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming you are talking about smaller machines (singles/doubles/etc.) I look at it like this:

1. You pay for a locator (or you place yourself with your effort) the machines in spots. Be aware, pulling will result in more time/money spent locating.

2. Not all of your spots will be gravy no matter how much you try to pull and respot, the averages will still hold. (Example, you place 10 spots, 1 or 2 will be good, the rest average, decent, or crap. You will still be in the same pickle with debating on pulling, just from a different spot.)

3. Machines in the garage are guaranteed to make $0. If you have a ton of equipment still in your garage, don't even think about pulling spots unless you are told to or feel the spot is going under. Unless you are psychic you won't get this down pat 100% but you can more often than not save equipment and extra lifting that way.

4. Vend gum and toys and more gum and more toys, they will last longer if you have to do longer service cycles on lower tier spots.

5. Upgrade your better accounts any way you can and move the machines taken from there to the next best spot, etc. (Example: 5-way in a buffet, take the 4-way to the barbershop doing well, use that double for a new spot.) I hope to achieve more $ per location as well as more locations closer together by doing this.

All this takes time, I have spent several years doing this, especially over the last 6 months and it is a project. I see it as a good way to keep busy during the slow time in the winter and getting ready for the spring and summer months when business is better.

Archived