Switching to Chrome

The Mage

Technically Google Chrome.

Really I have all the browsers on my computer for development purposes, but I have used Firefox as my main browser for years.

Really 2 things were bugging me with Firefox that I couldn't figure out. First the longer I kept it running, the more it would freeze up. Not a real big freeze, but little half second freezing which interfered with watching any videos, and simply scrolling pages.

Next, one of the web pages I hit often is Motley Fool. (fool.com for anyone who cares.) I read a few financial articles there, almost daily, but for some reason every time I open a link to an article, it opens in the middle of the page. It doesn't do this in Chrome, Opera, Safari, or IE.

Since this is the "official" browser of VENDiscuss, this should make Web Monkey, Web-Master Caserri happy.

I've used Firefox for what seems like eternity, and I'll agree, the latest version has some issues. It's weird how when it first opens my homepage (VENDiscuss) it loads the bottom of the page and I have to scroll up. I'd make the switch, but last time I tried it, it was painfully slow to load everything, so I got rid of it. Probably figured it out by now.

Say, how can you say you have all the browsers? Where's Flock? ;D

Unfortunately Flock has stopped developing.

There is SeaMonkey that is still in development, and based on the same Mozilla (Gekko) based browser as Firefox, but now being developed independently. Not sure if it supports HTML5 yet.

As far as I know, the only browser I don't have that supports HTML5 is Maxthon.

Now if I can play lawyer... (I'm not a Lawyer, but I killed one with a TV. Oh wait, that's not the quote.)

I said I have all the browsers for development purposes. And since I am only developing to the major browsers, I have all the browsers for development purposes. (Official term: Nyah. Unofficial term Nanny Nanny Boo Boo.)

Though I probably should have said all major browsers. (Since were being so anal here. ;D )

The Mage uses attack: Knowledge and applied terminology!

PerformaVending is hopelessly defeated! Alas!

Really though, I should know better than to play games with the master! ;D

I've never heard of Maxthon, I'll have to check that out sometime. Thanks Mage!

Maxthon used to be called IE2, running off the same Trident layout as Internet Explorer.

Here's a nice little chart of most of the browsers, and their evolution:

http://upload.wikime...eb_browsers.svg

It's interesting, though it doesn't give the whole story. For example it seems to imply that Netscape came from Mosaic, and that is only partly true. Marc Andreessen really created Mosaic, then went on to start a business intending to update it, but the University of Illinois, where he developed it took legal action, stating they were the owners since it was developed there. So Netscape rewrote the code. And this is when they came up with the name Mozilla, which was code for Mosaic Killer. (I'm pretty sure a lot of people here are familiar with this story, so sorry.)

Oh yeah, I misspelled Gecko earlier. Oops.

In my line of work I use IE, Chrome, FF and Safari for compatibility testing but for normal work usage I love chrome, it handles well when I have about 20 screens open for work. At home and on my laptops I still have FF que'd up, simply because I have not had the time to configure chrome and import my extensive list of work related bookmarks. Scre Safari, i am not a MAC fanboy, I use it for doing some print work occasionally but prefer my PC and IE can suck it except for the testing because the majority of the sheeple are still using it **Boo**

IE can suck it except for the testing because the majority of the sheeple are still using it **Boo**

Just a note here, I DID NOT pay him to say that. :lol:

Rdendy, My distaste for IE is well documented here. If fact, i no longer even test my sites for compatability with it. I just don't want anyone to think I put you up to it.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Technically Google Chrome.

Really I have all the browsers on my computer for development purposes, but I have used Firefox as my main browser for years.

Really 2 things were bugging me with Firefox that I couldn't figure out. First the longer I kept it running, the more it would freeze up. Not a real big freeze, but little half second freezing which interfered with watching any videos, and simply scrolling pages.

Same here, I occasionally have it freeze up on me and at the top header if flashes up "not responding" and after 1-2 seconds it goes away and everything works normally. I thought it had something to do with my poor internet connection.

i use lynx , what the hell do you need pictures for anyway lol

actually i do use it a lot to be honest

but anyway yes firefox is a piece of crap and has been for a long time

big slow bloated, idk what happened. however a lot of the plugins can be

the culprit. firebug for one. if you are using it on a mac tho it has a bad memory leak

problem that has never been fixed, i do not know why basically rendering it unusable.

chrome is a nice browser, the developer tools are not as intuitive as firefox but they

are all there.

believe it or not ie6 is still pretty widely used not so much as a few years ago

but i see it a lot from companies that have a very locked down set up

i dont think we test for it, the last place i used to work backtested everything to

ie5 but i think that was really absurd.

Archived