Is being cheap smart or stupid?

bill123

I see a lot of people bragging that they have a low cost of goods sold.

1. I beleive you have more theft if your customers feel they are being ripped off. If you rip them off they will rip you off.

2. Won't you have more sales if you have a value product.

3. If there is little perceived value you will loose the account

3. The average markup in retail has always been 100%. Therefor a at $1.00 you need to have an average price of your product of 50 cents. Less than that causes 1 & 2 & 3 above.

My vote is that it is stupid and short sighted to be bragging about low cost of goods sold.

What do you think? (Please also reply with the number of accounts you have so I know if your opinion has any value.)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I beleive you have more theft if your customers feel they are being ripped off. If you rip them off they will rip you off.

3. The average markup in retail has always been 100%. Therefor a at $1.00 you need to have an average price of your product of 50 cents. Less than that causes 1 & 2 & 3 above.

My vote is that it is stupid and short sighted to be bragging about low cost of goods sold.

What do you think? (Please also reply with the number of accounts you have so I know if your opinion has any value.)

you know i was gonna give you an answer

because your premise is completely wrong here

but then i read your last line

so here's my advice (as someone who did run an honor box route)

1) free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it

2) you can pucker up and kiss my ... i will never help you

Post edited by moderator.

Please refrain from abusive language and/or personal attacks.

THANKS!

Wait a minute guys, he may have something. We can buy gumballs for 3 cent and with a 1005 mark up sell them for 6 cent we can get rich. Does someone know where I can buy some 6 cent coin mechs. I will be rich.

Well young man you asked for it, and from above accts. you pretty much got it. Just looked at your profile and i figured you was pretty new to this. You don't give your age but I assume your young with no business expertise. Your other post was just as condensending as this one. There are a lot of very experienced people on this forum, that have a lot of knowledge to help you out, but first you had better grow up and figure out how too get back in good graces with them.

Well young man you asked for it, and from above accts. you pretty much got it. Just looked at your profile and i figured you was pretty new to this. You don't give your age but I assume your young with no business expertise. Your other post was just as condensending as this one. There are a lot of very experienced people on this forum, that have a lot of knowledge to help you out, but first you had better grow up and figure out how too get back in good graces with them.

I owned a real estate company for 10 years. Sold 120 homes a year myself (About 10 times what the average full time realtor sells a year). Employeed and managed 23 people. Trained at an investment school. Did public speaking on investing in real estate. I coul go on.

I am sincerely sorry if anyone was offended. I was just trying to get some good advise and have enough experience to know that everyones opinion is not of value.

Also, if I were to walk into a room of 10 people and shout "2 of you are loosers", there will be 2 people who will get offended and respond they are not loosers and begin to protest. The others will not say anything because they are confident I am not talking about them.

Being that you didn't share the number of accounts you have, I'm not sure how much value I should place on your opinion.

B)

I am a novice. You should put very little if any value on my opinion, but I gave it just to begin the discussion. My 1st day out was in fact yesterday and I got only 4 accounts so i need help. (1 - 50 person break room, 2 - Manufacturing plant, 3 - Dispatch office, 4- A hotel.

I owned a real estate company for 10 years. Sold 120 homes a year myself (About 10 times what the average full time realtor sells a year). Employeed and managed 23 people. Trained at an investment school. Did public speaking on investing in real estate. I coul go on.

What kind of real estate company was it? When you say you "sold", do you mean you were an agent involved in the closing? Just curious, I have been getting involved in real estate a fair bit lately.

What kind of real estate company was it? When you say you "sold", do you mean you were an agent involved in the closing? Just curious, I have been getting involved in real estate a fair bit lately.

I mean the properties i personally sold, this does not include what the agents who worked for me sold. The business is starting to pick up now. I would advise only doing real estae if you have a minimum of $20,000 to invest in marketing yourself. I've seen to many agents struggle because they didn't have the funds to self promote, advertise, or direct mail. I personally started in 2000 by putting $40,000 on credit cards and by 2005 I was a millinoaire. By 2009 I was banrupt because I was "all in" real estate and only anticipated the typical 6-18 month market correction of 5-10%. I will get back in real estate next year. Over the next 6 months I will build up my vending business and then sell it so I start with the required capital to be successful.

let me try to understand this...

your plan is to build a honor box business in 6 mo u can sell for 20 grand

i guess theres a lot of suckers out there but i cant imagine paying 20 grand for

an honor box route let alone one thats only been established 6 mo with a high

COGS

theres a lot of better ways to build up a vending business to sell it, i guess if u

can sleep at night just stealing someones money and setting them up for failure

So when you decided to go into realestate I take it you only asked for input from the very top sellers because nobody else had anything to say of any value to you. Maybe thats why you were a millionaire and not any more because you didn't listen to the little guy that knew how to struggle to make a decent living and not go head long into an insane realestate market.

Again there are many smart people on this forum small and large that have a lot of expertise in this market, and just because you sold R E that doesn't prepare you to deal with this kind of market. I know you won't agree but most of your clients either came in to your office or called you and even came to an open house. You did not have to cold call every account to get business. I will say that if you opened 4 accts on your 1st day out thats not bad. I have 35 years experience at cold calling and opening new markets for a range of different products. I've trained many salesmen and ladies, but to this day I still accept everybody as equal and value their opinions. As for myself I have no honor box accounts, but am deciding if I want to venture into this aspect of vending. So I guess my opinion has no value to you.

So when you decided to go into realestate I take it you only asked for input from the very top sellers because nobody else had anything to say of any value to you. Maybe thats why you were a millionaire and not any more because you didn't listen to the little guy that knew how to struggle to make a decent living and not go head long into an insane realestate market.

Again there are many smart people on this forum small and large that have a lot of expertise in this market, and just because you sold R E that doesn't prepare you to deal with this kind of market. I know you won't agree but most of your clients either came in to your office or called you and even came to an open house. You did not have to cold call every account to get business. I will say that if you opened 4 accts on your 1st day out thats not bad. I have 35 years experience at cold calling and opening new markets for a range of different products. I've trained many salesmen and ladies, but to this day I still accept everybody as equal and value their opinions. As for myself I have no honor box accounts, but am deciding if I want to venture into this aspect of vending. So I guess my opinion has no value to you.

1. Yes I only looked at what successful people did.

2. Only once in 10 years did a client find me by stopping in my office. Open houses don't help very much, they get you a few buyers but the real money is in the listings so I never did open houses. My entire first year I cold called 8 hours every day and did huge amounts of direct mail, that is how one is successful in real estate.

3. Everyones opinion does not have equal value. That is very democratic but unfortunately naive. For example only about 20% of agents really know what they are doing as prooved by the fact that the top 10% of agents do 90% of thebusiness.

4. I'm sorry if you were offended, it was not my intent. Sometimes because I express myself clearly people are taken aback.

5. I have trained dozen of salespeople and even taught investment classes.

I believe you have a very stuborn mindset, and have decided its a waste of my time trying to give you good advice. Every post you have made has that same condesending remark in it. Good luck finding anyone on here to help you out because they probably don't fit you value meter.

I believe you have a very stuborn mindset, and have decided its a waste of my time trying to give you good advice. Every post you have made has that same condesending remark in it. Good luck finding anyone on here to help you out because they probably don't fit you value meter.

u would expect a little humility from someone who lost a million dollars LOL

If you have a sincere question, just ask it. What you're wanting to do here is preach...not learn. Your post is basically:

...This is what I think

...If you think differently you're stupid and short-sighted

...what do you think?

Well...I think it's a waste of time having a constructive discussion with you when I have a differing opinion. Then again, I have fewer than 20 honor box accounts so it works out for you that my opinion is irrelivant. Carry on.

It is unfortunate that some people think forums are places they can go to pick fights and argue with people. If you want to do that you can go to a political forum where you know you can fight with people all you like.

I gave a reasoned opinion. That does not mean I don't want to hear other reasoned opinions. We can differ and even debate ideas, but I have no desire to waste my time fighting with people who have such low self esteme that everything becomes a personal offense to them. No person offense could possibly have been meant as I did not know the people getting angry before I made my comments.

If you have a sincere question, just ask it. What you're wanting to do here is preach...not learn. Your post is basically:

...This is what I think

...If you think differently you're stupid and short-sighted

...what do you think?

Well...I think it's a waste of time having a constructive discussion with you when I have a differing opinion. Then again, I have fewer than 20 honor box accounts so it works out for you that my opinion is irrelivant. Carry on.

Rick, I gave what I thought so because I want people to explain why I was wrong. I did explain why I beleived it was short sided to be cheap with product because I want people to explain why I was wrong. If you are not intelligent enough to explain why I am wrong I am forced to agree with you about the value of your opinion.

Adult ask questions. Adult give reasons for their opinions. Adults do not take things personally when they have different opinions. You make me sad.

This reminds me of why I don't go on forums. People today have lost the ability to communicate. They can hide behind their computers and just shout out opinions without giving reasons and if anyone dare have opinions backed up by thought they are accused of being intolerant or arrogant.

I'm not going to converse with people who take personal offense any more. I joined this forum because I want to learn from others while caring on a conversation that yes includes reasons why I think what I think. I hope people help me, I hope I am successful, and I want to help others if I am successful because I know how hard it is to start a business.

Rick, I gave what I thought so people because I want people to explain why I was wrong. I did explain why I beleived it was short sided to be cheap with product because I want people to explain why I was wrong. If you are not intelligent enough to explain why I am wrong I am forced to agree with you about the value of your opinion.

Adult ask questions. Adult give reasons for their opinions. Adults do not take things personally when they have different opinions. You make me sad.

Good deal, we're on the same page then. I won't burden you with why you're wrong because (as we both agree) it would be a waste of my time.

(Please also reply with the number of accounts you have so I know if your opinion has any value.)

so we start with...anyone who does low cost of goods is stupid (in your opinion who has no actual experience in the biz)

I am sincerely sorry if anyone was offended. I was just trying to get some good advise and have enough experience to know that everyones opinion is not of value.

Also, if I were to walk into a room of 10 people and shout "2 of you are loosers", there will be 2 people who will get offended and respond they are not loosers and begin to protest. The others will not say anything because they are confident I am not talking about them.

apology try #1...followed by a pompous insulting remark.

4. I'm sorry if you were offended, it was not my intent. Sometimes because I express myself clearly people are taken aback.

aplogy try #2...you're sorry but not that because what you said was insulting...

, but I have no desire to waste my time fighting with people who have such low self esteme that everything becomes a personal offense to them. No person offense could possibly have been meant as I did not know the people getting angry before I made my comments.

apology try #3....everyone who thinks you're a jerk has low self esteem, nice.

you really wonder why nobody is helping you...hey heres some free advice...the common denominator in the responses is YOUR snide and insulting remarks.

i will tell you basically everything about your approach is way off base to the point that it is almost comical to me. i could go out and locate honor boxes all day if i had nothing else to do,, its a very easy business. myself and others have posted all the information needed to be successful in honor boxes right here on this very forum but it is obvious you did not evevn bother to read 1 post you just expect thast people will spoon feed you the information free.

if i was you i wouldnt put my biz name either, not because failure is embarrassing (it isnt, EVERY successful person has more failures than successes most sales trainers know this lol ) but i would be embarrassed to be thought of as rude and clueless

so we start with...anyone who does low cost of goods is stupid (in your opinion who has no actual experience in the biz)

apology try #1...followed by a pompous insulting remark.

aplogy try #2...you're sorry but not that because what you said was insulting...

apology try #3....everyone who thinks you're a jerk has low self esteem, nice.

you really wonder why nobody is helping you...hey heres some free advice...the common denominator in the responses is YOUR snide and insulting remarks.

i will tell you basically everything about your approach is way off base to the point that it is almost comical to me. i could go out and locate honor boxes all day if i had nothing else to do,, its a very easy business. myself and others have posted all the information needed to be successful in honor boxes right here on this very forum but it is obvious you did not evevn bother to read 1 post you just expect thast people will spoon feed you the information free.

if i was you i wouldnt put my biz name either, not because failure is embarrassing (it isnt, EVERY successful person has more failures than successes most sales trainers know this lol ) but i would be embarrassed to be thought of as rude and clueless

Could you enlighten me as to what parts of my approach are way off base to the point of being comical and give me the reasons they are off base?

Archived