Theft while stocking the machine?!

Mike32110

Hello everyone, I am very new to the business, and just wanted to ask some questions to the more experienced people.

I have this one snack machine that is quite busy, however, almost every time I go to restock it, this extremely annoying younger guy always talks to me and acts very strange. I am a mental health clinician at my normal job, and am pretty confident the guy has Aspergers (high functioning autism) or a non-verbal learning disorder, but that's besides the point. He always stands super close and just watches me when I am stocking the machine, however, he has done this with several other people in the room as well. Last week he complained that the machine ate 15 cents as he put in 90 cents and bought something worth 75, I offered him a refund and he said "That's fine". Then he comes up with 75 cents and asks if he could buy a certain chocolate bar, I told him that 75 cents is my cost, but eventually gave him it so he would leave me alone. He also saw that I had about 3 or 4 crunch bars in my stocking bin and asked me to stock the machine with those. I told him I don't have enough for a row, etc. Well I continuned stocking the machine, left, stocked a couple other machines, then went home. None of my machines stock that chocolate bar,and when I got home I could not find a single Crunch bar. I am actually somewhat sure that this guy took it. I honestly don't care about $2-3 worth of chocolate (or whatever he DID take), but just wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before? Any similar stories?

Thanks!

I have not had that happen to me directly, but people are curious about vending machines....wanting to see the insides and how it works. My most common question/comment is "you must make a killing doing this. How much do you make......it must be easy". I always explain that most people think that vending is simply fill, forget and collect money, but there is alot of work. Fixing machines, refunding money, picking up inventory and it does not make as much money as most people think.

Also, kids.....8 - 15 year olds always ask for free stuff while I am stocking (which is different then just taking candy from your bins).

In the future I would be careful at that location. Keep your bins as close as possible and closed when not in use. If he approaches again, tell him that you are in a hurry as you have another appointment and that you are not able to talk right now. Not sure if he will get the point, but it's worth the try.

I give away stuff all the time when servicing toys, plush, tats if the location owner manager likes to play I will set some credits before I leave. Giving a way some won't put u out of business.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

This guy grabs watches,mp3,etc lol also I apy him 65% comission

He also has a spare key to the display part and I think he's been stealing premium balls

One loc kids are always stealing/begging makes me wonder whres the parents

Hello everyone, I am very new to the business, and just wanted to ask some questions to the more experienced people.

I have this one snack machine that is quite busy, however, almost every time I go to restock it, this extremely annoying younger guy always talks to me and acts very strange. I am a mental health clinician at my normal job, and am pretty confident the guy has Aspergers (high functioning autism) or a non-verbal learning disorder, but that's besides the point. He always stands super close and just watches me when I am stocking the machine, however, he has done this with several other people in the room as well. Last week he complained that the machine ate 15 cents as he put in 90 cents and bought something worth 75, I offered him a refund and he said "That's fine". Then he comes up with 75 cents and asks if he could buy a certain chocolate bar, I told him that 75 cents is my cost, but eventually gave him it so he would leave me alone. He also saw that I had about 3 or 4 crunch bars in my stocking bin and asked me to stock the machine with those. I told him I don't have enough for a row, etc. Well I continuned stocking the machine, left, stocked a couple other machines, then went home. None of my machines stock that chocolate bar,and when I got home I could not find a single Crunch bar. I am actually somewhat sure that this guy took it. I honestly don't care about $2-3 worth of chocolate (or whatever he DID take), but just wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before? Any similar stories?

Thanks!

Stuff like this is gonna happen, its the nature of the beast. You have just got to pay attention to what and who is around you and be sure to lock everything before you step away, even if its only a few seconds to go give a refund or whatever.

I was servicing a soda machine once and some dude yelled down the hallway that he lost some money in this machine, and wanted a refund.. I said "sure.. what'd ya lose?" and he walks over to the machine, and me, and says, "80 dollars".. then he laffed and walked away.. (I got a huge kick out of it, because usually there's SOMEONE saying they lost money on a vend..and I think he kinda knew that and was just tryin to brighten my day..)

I got attacked one time by a mob of kids while servicing will.vends bulk machines. There were hands coming and going so fast it made my head spin. I learned that day-keep the tops on the bulk machines or set them where they can't reach them. Glad he was thereto help me out of it. Of course he was leaning against a counter laughing at me.

I have a skilled nusing facility. It is my largest loc and some guy in a wheelchair came up and stole a bag of chips right infrom of me. The next time I saw him while servicing the machines and just gave him a bag of chips and he laughed and went away. I have not had a problem from him since.

My theory, I'm not loosing a large account over 1 bag of chips or 3 candy bars. You never know if the staff might get offended by the vending guy being mean to their patients.

Next time you see him, offer to pay him with a candy bar (or 2, or 3) if he keeps an eye on your stuff while you work.

Tell him, "Hey, if you stand here (somewhere out of the way) and keep an eye on my product to make sure nobody steals any while I work, I'll give you a candy bar (or 2, or 3) for free when I'm done."

Let him know he's your "security guard" and should keep his distance to keep an eye out for thieves and to watch the "exits".

See if that keeps him out of your way and keeps him away from your product.

Someone with that mental capacity is still a child and will always be a child.

He will probably enjoy the "security guard" game and appreciate the reward afterwards.

You could end up making a pretty good friend to boot....someone who will keep an eye on your machine even when you aren't around.

Next time you see him, offer to pay him with a candy bar (or 2, or 3) if he keeps an eye on your stuff while you work.

Tell him, "Hey, if you stand here (somewhere out of the way) and keep an eye on my product to make sure nobody steals any while I work, I'll give you a candy bar (or 2, or 3) for free when I'm done."

Let him know he's your "security guard" and should keep his distance to keep an eye out for thieves and to watch the "exits".

See if that keeps him out of your way and keeps him away from your product.

Someone with that mental capacity is still a child and will always be a child.

He will probably enjoy the "security guard" game and appreciate the reward afterwards.

You could end up making a pretty good friend to boot....someone who will keep an eye on your machine even when you aren't around.

I had one similar to your above suggestion. However he quickly became annoying. I had my number listed on the machine, and anytime someone smacked the machines or pushed a button "too hard" I was sure to get a phone call......

My father was being a smart a$$ and told me to mark out my number so he couldn't call.... Unknown to me, he didn't have my number saved, because when I did my next service after marking my number out he approached in almost a panic due to not having my number. lol And my life was more peaceful!!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that giving away a little product to keep an account is a good idea - when i have chips/pasties etc that go out of date I usually ask the employees at a loc if they want them so i dont have to throw them away. They see me as the good guy and if they haven't tried that product before they may buy it next time.

I agree that giving away a little product to keep an account is a good idea - when i have chips/pasties etc that go out of date I usually ask the employees at a loc if they want them so i dont have to throw them away. They see me as the good guy and if they haven't tried that product before they may buy it next time.

Yeah, I started doing that as well, there's nothing wrong with something that's recently expired either.

Archived