soda/snack machine motion sensors

spdydre

I've got them on all my Royal soda machines - they're factory installed. I also have an AP7600 with a Vend Wizard sensor which is an after market add on. I've never had any customer complaints about them but I've heard that repair techs hate them - especially the Vend Wizard. They always work for me when I test them but then even the broken machines work for me as long as I'm standing there.

There are instances that they cause more issues then they are worth. Don't use them if you don't have to.

I agree with Bill. I have seen it where products get stuck before delivery bins where customer vend multiple more selections on top & then shake the crap out of the machine until the bottom product comes free. I got a call one day because one customer vended so many packs of chips that they couldn't open the delivery bin.

Are you asking about the motion sensors over the top of the machine that turns off the lights when no one is using the machine or the electric eyes across the delivery bin to sense if the product actually vended?

Walta

The motion senser turning off the light will cut your sales about 25%.

Walta

the motion sensor that turns off the lights and turns them on when someone is near the machine. Are there other options that I could pitch to the account to "save" energy? Maybe a timer during the night? Thats the main reason they are booting their current vendor because they want more energy efficient machines

I think LED lighting is a good deal for all

Lower cost to operate is good for the location.

Longer “lamp” life is a win for the operator.

A snack uses very little power 1/2 of that is the florescent lamp.

A new coffee only the lighting has changed.

Food machines especially the Rowe are power hogs.

The soda are a little better than they were, the new thing is if it does not get down to its set point in 24 hours they are programmed to stop trying and go out of order.

I would get a Kill-A-Watt measure a few machines on location add 20% and purpose that your machines will use less than XX watts a day.

Walta

If you are going to rewire your equipment to turn off the lights and spend money on a timer why not give the customer what he wants and install motion sensors. After a few weeks I would change it delay setting to a 3 hour delay.

Walta

You need passive infrared motion sensors for a glass front machines which emit 5 motion fingers and respond to movement across any two fingers. This is probably going to kill your lights pretty quickly unless you set it to a long delay. The on-off cycles are what kills most lighting systems even the new LEDs.

The other type of motion sensor is called Ultrasonic which relies on air currents so it won't work in a glass front machine.

The easiest one to install is called the button type - drill a 1/2" hole where you want to mount it (front of the machine somewhere) and wire it in-line with the main power cord. As I recall, they run about $25. You could also use a non-button type if you can find someplace in the machine to mount it with clear vision to outside traffic

You could go with enerystar rated beverage machines and as Walta suggests LED's on the snack. An average snack with a floor tube draws about 1.01 kwh/day. One with LED's will draw about .61. This is not a lot of electricity. There are low draw led indicators that you can put on the front of the machines that will draw even less but again it will be at the expense of sales.

Unfortunately the return on investment for low energy consumption machines is very poor. LED is your best bet at this time though. As far as sensors, they used to say it took more power to turn on a floor tube then it did to leave it on. I don't know what the time was that was required as an off cycle to offset that though

Archived