Insurance quote....

Just got out of a meeting with my Farmer's Insurance agent. They can't directly write the policy because I'm a new business. So they partner with Northland Insurance to underwrite it.

Here are the details:

Each occurence limit: $1,000,000

Damage to premises rented by you: $100,000

Medical expense limit: $5,000

Personal and Advertising Injury limit: $1,000,000 (what the hell is an advertising injury......paper cut?)

General aggregate limit: $2,000,000

Products/completed operations aggregate limit: $2,000,000

Annual premium: $630

They claim that these are the lowest limits they can write. Being that it's liability only, there's also no deductible.

To me, this seems a bit high (the $630 premium). When I was in the ATM business I had a policy for about the same limits and same cost - and that covered CASH as well as the ATM's.

Thoughts?

My broker told me that it depends on what you gross for the year. Since I just started out, my liability/fire coverage costs me 200$ a year (I am grossing under 25K so its the minimum). It looks like we have similar coverage other than that.

I happen to have just had State Farm run me a quote for a $25k/year gross business with $25k in machines (just some numbers that gave me room to start and grow). The $1 million in liabilty insurance was only $52 annually, the property loss ($500 deductible) was $276 annually. With used machines, I don't expect to go with the property insurance. I haven't yet asked if I can get the liability only portion of the policy at the $52/year, but based on my quote I think you should keep shopping. That is in Oregon, BTW.

Just got out of a meeting with my Farmer's Insurance agent. They can't directly write the policy because I'm a new business. So they partner with Northland Insurance to underwrite it.

Here are the details:

Each occurence limit: $1,000,000

Damage to premises rented by you: $100,000

Medical expense limit: $5,000

Personal and Advertising Injury limit: $1,000,000 (what the hell is an advertising injury......paper cut?)

General aggregate limit: $2,000,000

Products/completed operations aggregate limit: $2,000,000

Annual premium: $630

They claim that these are the lowest limits they can write. Being that it's liability only, there's also no deductible.

To me, this seems a bit high (the $630 premium). When I was in the ATM business I had a policy for about the same limits and same cost - and that covered CASH as well as the ATM's.

Thoughts?

Yeah,

I have a thought - next time you ask for a quote tell them you've been in business for three years. You've already been in the ATM business which is a form of vending and there's nothing that could happen with your machines that couldn't happen with mine. I pay $300 a year based on 60k gross

I did check back to resolve a few things with the quote and found out that there is a certain lower limit on State Farm's policies. This one was quoted at $305 annually and it doesn't matter if I drop the property value down a little or a lot, that part of the premium stays the same. Package deal essentially - you can't get the liabilty policy alone. So you have to buy the property portion of the policy in order to get the liability portion of the policy. Basically I guess you treat it as a liability policy and don't claim any property damage if you have cheaper used machines that are essentially worth the deductible. That's still way better than the $630 annually for liabilty alone that Farmer's quoted you.

If you have nicer, newer machines, at least you have some property coverage (less deductible) - but if you exceed the upper limit on property value you have to let them know and that portion of the policy starts going up.

• 3 months later...

Find an independent agent.  Each company might have a "minimum premium".  Therefore when you make less than so much per year you still have a minimum premium to meet.  In my experience it can range from $350 to $550 and with additions go up from there.  One thing that I saw a few people touch on is that you might want to make sure that running your vending route and getting into an accident is covered.  Pizza delivery drivers have a problem with this.  Doing business in a personal vehicle.  Careful as there could be exclusions under your personal auto policy.

Archived