Picked up a Rowe 4900s snack today

Decided to randomly look at CL today and found an ad that posted just a few minutes earlier. Rowe 4900s, $50. Came with service manuals and keys.

Right place, right time, it's in the back of the truck. Of course, it's supposed to rain tonight...

post-6615-0-75172200-1362634706_thumb.jpg

Nice job! That's a great price if it works and is complete. I assume it is since you didn't say otherwise. I ran over a hundred of them on my routes in the 90's and loved the strength of their cabinets. They also had some of the most straight forward programming of any machine. I was upset when our Rowe distributor closed up shop and I had to learn how to use AP equipment. Do you repair the CBA's or do you upgrade to new validators?

AZ-

It works, with a couple of issues.

One shelf, I'm told, sometimes loses power...needs to be jiggled or something to get power back. I'm assuming it's a contact of some sort, maybe a microswitch?

One coil was reported as "never worked right" (maybe third coil on third shelf).

The changer was reported as having "just been rebuilt....that cost more than a hundred bucks". It's a CBA...if it works fine I'll leave it for a while, while I figure out the whole "mobile software/hardware monitoring systems". I'm a wirehead, that sort of thing is exciting to me. Once I know what the heck I'm doing, I'll need to techify everythign I can.

I was in a hurry, figured there are more than $50 in parts there, so I had them load it up (that's worth $50 alone!) and took it home. It's still in the back of the truck, I managed to get a tarp over it before the rain last night. Of course, when I woke up at 3am trying to remember if I did, I remembered the sunroof was in "tilt/vent" position and had to go out to close it anyhow. D'OH!

I'm in deep...

AZ-

One shelf, I'm told, sometimes loses power...needs to be jiggled or something to get power back. I'm assuming it's a contact of some sort, maybe a microswitch?

One coil was reported as "never worked right" (maybe third coil on third shelf).

The changer was reported as having "just been rebuilt....that cost more than a hundred bucks". It's a CBA...if it works fine I'll leave it for a while, while I figure out the whole "mobile software/hardware monitoring systems". I'm a wirehead, that sort of thing is exciting to me. Once I know what the heck I'm doing, I'll need to techify everythign I can.

I was in a hurry, figured there are more than $50 in parts there, so I had them load it up (that's worth $50 alone!) and took it home. It's still in the back of the truck, I managed to get a tarp over it before the rain last night. Of course, when I woke up at 3am trying to remember if I did, I remembered the sunroof was in "tilt/vent" position and had to go out to close it anyhow. D'OH!

I'm in deep...

When you move snack machines, you can lighten the load significantly by pulling out the shelves - they weigh about 30 lbs each x 6. That will make it easier to get out of your truck.

I'm in the process of parting out a 4900 - hopefully sell it off piece by piece on Ebay. I'm figuring it will add up to $400 to $500 so you can't lose at $50.

To me, a machine that old (and out of mfg.) is just not worth refurbing.

AZ-

I'm in deep...

On the shelf that loses contact, pull it out and make sure the roller nuts are tight. Misalignment of the shelf can break the connector on the back of the cabinet when the shelf is pushed in. There are pins on the back of the shelf that slide into a connector on the back wall. If you look into the back female connector, you will see in each opening 2 sides of the metal connection reflecting back at you. Be sure that you see 2 sides reflecting back from each slot. On the back of the shelf make sure all the pins are protruding out the same amt, that none are pushed back into the connector. If you find a short pin or a female opening without 2 side of the connector showing, this is evidence of misaligned pin and connector damage. If you find this damage I can explain the workaround. More than likely your shelf pins/connectors are okay and if the roller nuts are tight and you still lose communication to the shelf, you can slightly tweak the pins in an attempt to make better contact as they slide into the back connector. Rowes with age and abuse will begin to have connectivity problems.

The "coil that never worked right" could be a bad motor or the same problem I covered above. A loose shelf connection can affect one motor, several motors or the entire shelf depending on which pin isn't right.

As far as the CBA validator, if it gives up the ghost the easiest upgrade is to a BA30 using a Coinco 9340L coin mech and a power/credit harness that goes from the 9340L through the machine to the BA30. You will also need a bracket to mount the BA30 but its a great reliable upgrade.

As luck would have it, I found two brand new fancy-pants bulk machines for sale that have to be picked up this morning...that tip about removing the shelves will sure come in handy...the 4900 is still in the truck!

Archived