Advice for a beginner

jdb3

Hi,

I'm looking to get in the business and want to start small to test the waters. I found the following opportunity on Craigslist. Please let me know what you think.

There is a 1800Vending Machine (same model found here) located at an auto shop about a mile from my work. The guy selling it needs to the money for his carpet cleaning business and said he would keep it otherwise. He wants $2250 for it. He says he nets about $300 per month from it but doesn't keep exact records. I thought that seemed high but I found out the employees at the shop do not get a lunch and rely on the machine largely for drinks and snacks so it may be true.

The machine is less then a year old and seems to be in good working order. I've read negative reviews for combo machines on here but I'm still tempted by this opportunity because of the great location. I could easily maintain it during my lunch or on the way home from my full time job. The actual CL posting is here: http://littlerock.craigslist.org/bfs/3658688731.html

Thank you for your time and feedback!

Don't pay that much. Combos suck and they don't hold much product. If he is selling 300 every month in product he probably is going to fill it up every 2-3 days.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably pass on this opportunity. I would like to find something small to get started and would prefer an established location which is why this appealed to me.

Do you think it's difficult to find a fair priced machine in a established spot? What would be a realistic price range for an established location with a full size machine such as Crane, AP, USI, Rowe, Dixie Narco, Vendo, or Royal?

If u want some advice finding a single standalone location is gonna be tough better off rolling ur own first loc find a soda only loc like a tire sbhop and a cheap single price can vendor

Jdb, this is similar to the machines I was looking at. I am also a fan of combos, but I'm super fresh in the industry and these guys have scared me away from them :-P.

I am looking for a good deal right now on cl or ebay on a machine, starting with soda and working my way up.

Dapoopta, I saw your original post with you being presented with a similar opportunity with similar machines. The main appeal for me was the location, not so much the machines. I really wish it was a better machine at this location, it would be very convenient location for me to start with in the vending business.

What approach are you using to find a location for the machine you are looking for? I'm confident I will eventually find a decent deal on soda machine but not sure where to place it. Do you secure a location first? Or the machine?

I agree with treadmill. I would find a location… and in the mean time if you run across a great deal then jump on it. It would be nice to have the machine in advance to play with it and test it out a little. I spoke with a local guy selling a lot of machines and he told me to get a location then I could come get a machine

This is kind of a "chicken or the egg" deal. If you're in an area where picking up good equipment at a reasonable price is no problem, then get the location first. On the other hand, if your only quick option is to buy from a refurbisher at inflated prices, then look for good deals on machines and have a couple ready to go if you get a new account.

Here in So Cal, I find great deals on machines through Craigslist but it doesn't happen everyday. If I got a new account and had to buy equipment through a refurbisher, it would cost at least $1,000 more.

That said, not all machines will work for all accounts - sooner or later you going to need a three wide snack machine or a glassfront drink machine - not the kind of thing I'd have sitting in reserve.

Dapoopta, I saw your original post with you being presented with a similar opportunity with similar machines. The main appeal for me was the location, not so much the machines. I really wish it was a better machine at this location, it would be very convenient location for me to start with in the vending business.

What approach are you using to find a location for the machine you are looking for? I'm confident I will eventually find a decent deal on soda machine but not sure where to place it. Do you secure a location first? Or the machine?

Soda only accounts are a "no brainer" and a great way for a beginner to get their feet wet.

These will never be large accounts - large accounts will always require a snack machine at least (much more hassle).

The theory with soda only accounts is to find a Body Shop or Transmission place that will do $200 or better a month - service it once a month and pocket the $100 profit. To gross $200 a month, you're going to need a machine with at least a 500 can capacity - you don't ever want selections to run dry between servicing.

Archived