weird smart import prob

dogcow

Just serviced a loc today had a weird problem almost didn't notice the crane was broken. The lights and dbv were on but crane was not working. Checked the board it had an LED on so it seemed to be poweirng up as well. No error code on the disp, the disp showed nothing. Any ideas ? I didn't have my dmm with me but based on what I saw the ps seemed fine only thing is the loc moved the game. I re-seated the db25 pin connector to the board but nothing changed any thoughts?

I have been having the same issue a lot lately with my Smart imports. Repair shop found a short on the bridge on a few of them that cause the power supply to not power up. If you replace that power supply and it is still not working I would guess that is the problem.

Southernmusic2...thx I thought of that too and tried disconecting no dice but good point for others I've had it vget stuck in the past during transit

Mjacks...thx will try it. Where was the short?

Southernmusic2...thx I thought of that too and tried disconecting no dice but good point for others I've had it vget stuck in the past during transit

I have no idea honestly. I don't think it was the same place on all the problem cranes. I am growing tired of the smart cranes right now.

We also had a run of import smart cranes that would blow the fuse on the main board, everything 110vlt worked.

Is the string wound up backward?

Can you shut the crane off, push the trolly to the center of the crane repower the crane does the claw go home?

That has happened to me also. Good catch.

Is the string wound up backward?

Can you shut the crane off, push the trolly to the center of the crane repower the crane does the claw go home?

no string is wond the correct way, crane does not home when rebooted, i guess i'll order a new PS today, is there anywhere cheaper than smart to get one ? ive found their price on parts to be very high

If the crane wont go home when rebooted and the leds are lit on the board I would say its a relay on the board sticking. Usually if a power supply is bad everything comes up until you try to move (either by playing or crane homing) and then the power supply "trips" so what I do is push the trolly to home shut off and restart crane watching leds, then put a credit on and try to play all while watching the leds and listening for a "click" from the power supply.

You could also have a bad logic chip so the crane won't go through its "steps".

• 3 weeks later...

Board is going thru its self diagnostics

here is what I suggest to do

I am doing this without the manual in front of me so it makes it more difficult

1: unplug everything at first, all the connectors on the boards to the coin door connections counters, coin mech, dba, pots, speaker.. etc..

start with main power and cable to led screen... if there is anything else on that connector disconnect them at the coin door

2: slowly plug each connector on the motherboard back in 1 at a time and reboot each time you add one..

last replug in the coin door plugs 1 at a time...

check for same behavior or better results

this will eliminate a problem with each plug 1 by 1

this problem is a boot sequence error

could be the following

A short..

bad coin counter try a different coin counter-s or check each coin counter for a short there is 3 I think.. one will show different if bad on a meter

sometimes games will not work with a coin counter messed up to thwart employee theft

stuck or broken coin mech these went into program mode by holding the coin switch... could be getting a bad signal

stuck joystick? maybe?

(sometimes the dumbest things can fail a self test)

if all this does not narrow it down..

to at least 1 area

check the board for a memory battery maybe bad eproms

if all else fails smart will exchange the board at a good price

I was quoted like $100.00 a year or so ago..

bill

Ahh relay that makes sense...are the relays socket mounted or soldered direct to the board?

They are soldered direct to the board with lead free solder. You need a higher watt gun to get them off. We use a 45 watt. Could be a relay they can get stuck.

Archived