open source vending

There is alot more then just sheet metal in a vending machine. Electronics, motors, condensors etc. Once you factor all of that, plus painting, glass locks etc, you have spent probably as much as you would buying the machine from manufacturers who can mass produce. This doesn't include your personal time.

Travis

You can build a vending machine out of whatever you want, but if it doesn't hold up under years of use and abuse, or if people find it's made entirely of plexiglass or some other flimsy material no one will want it. Think about it, these things have to withstand abuse and thousands of uses. It sounds like you want to start building vending machines. If so then you should actually look at what's in most breakrooms or even outside a grocery store. If you think some flimsy cabinet can live in those environments then you aren't thinking realistically. Read this forum and you will find the number of recommendations against foreign manufactured machines. The build quality, including materials, is a large factor for those non-recommendations.

I can get plywood and 2x4's cheaper than plexiglass. I think I'll start a do-it-yourself vending machine kit. Ebay, here I come. AZ - you can sell the insides. I'll sell the outsides. We'll make a mint.

I like the plexiglass idea.... it'll allow someone to spin the machine around to read the nutritional labels so it would be compliant with calorie disclosure requirements.

Archived