Automatic Products 122 - Change Shelf Arrangement?

I have an AP 122 that I want to change one of the candy rows and convert it to a chips row.

I know how to pair two motors to make them work together, but I can't seem to remove this metal bar that is between two selections to make it big enough for a bag of chips.

Does anyone have experience with this machine and know how to adjust this?

I attached pictures for reference.

Thank!

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090011O136768954328268
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090021O136768954328268
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090031O136768954328268
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090041O136768954328268

I have an AP 122 that I want to change one of the candy rows and convert it to a chips row.

I know how to pair two motors to make them work together, but I can't seem to remove this metal bar that is between two selections to make it big enough for a bag of chips.

Does anyone have experience with this machine and know how to adjust this?

I attached pictures for reference.

Thank!

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090011O136768954328268

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090021O136768954328268

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090031O136768954328268

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010090041O136768954328268

I've done this on other machines - it's a spot weld that holds the dividers in place.  I drilled out the center of each spot weld and was able to pop them out - you don't need to do the whole weld,  I used a 1/4" bit in the center of each one, but this might vary depending upon how well they're welded.

I know what you mean about having more chip trays - 18 items in a snack machine is hard to fill, especially in the summer with no candy bars.

That appears to be a convertible shelf so every other divider should be removable without drilling. You need to remove the front plastic selection label/price holder. To remove it you need to remove the 2 phillips head screws that hold it in place. The screws are located on the underside of the tray. Once this is removed the divider should just pull out.

You will also need to have to purchase a new tray front for the chips.

That appears to be a convertible shelf so no drilling should be necessary. You need to remove the front plastic selection label/price holder. To remove it you need to remove the 2 phillips head screws that hold it in place. The screws are located on the underside of the tray. Once this is removed the divider should just pull out.

That sure would be nice - I've only done this on Witterns so far but finding the snack fronts was an issue.  VE has a lot of AP parts (I've bought 7600 tray fronts from them)

Based on your first picture you have a fixed candy shelf, not a convertible one. The dividers are welded in place and your motors only turn one direction. To convert this shelf you will have to remove every other divider by drilling the welds, replace the candy shelf fronts with snack fronts, and add either 5 grey/blue motors (yours s/b white/blue) or 5 dual spiral motors with the idler gear built in. Then you will need 5 new right hand spirals to match your left hand spirals, but since you probably have all 18 ct. spirals now, you will really need matching left and right spirals that snacks will fit into, such as 12 ct. or 15 ct. I have all these parts in stock if you need them.

Based on your first picture you have a fixed candy shelf, not a convertible one. The dividers are welded in place and your motors only turn one direction. To convert this shelf you will have to remove every other divider by drilling the welds, replace the candy shelf fronts with snack fronts, and add either 5 grey/blue motors (yours s/b white/blue) or 5 dual spiral motors with the idler gear built in. Then you will need 5 new right hand spirals to match your left hand spirals, but since you probably have all 18 ct. spirals now, you will really need matching left and right spirals that snacks will fit into, such as 12 ct. or 15 ct. I have all these parts in stock if you need them.

I think he's got a 4 wide AZ, so he should need 4 right hand motors and 4 of each spiral - 10 or 12 count.  My math was a little off in my first post, he's currently got 8 candy columns per tray or 16 total.

And the tray fronts

Based on your first picture you have a fixed candy shelf, not a convertible one.

I still think it's a convertible tray - on a convertible tray every other divider has the movable spacer and that's what I see in the first picture.

I've done this on other machines - it's a spot weld that holds the dividers in place.  I drilled out the center of each spot weld and was able to pop them out - you don't need to do the whole weld,  I used a 1/4" bit in the center of each one, but this might vary depending upon how well they're welded.

I know what you mean about having more chip trays - 18 items in a snack machine is hard to fill, especially in the summer with no candy bars.

Thats exactly why I want to do this... I don't know what to put in the machine during the summer.. chocolates all melt :(

That appears to be a convertible shelf so every other divider should be removable without drilling. You need to remove the front plastic selection label/price holder. To remove it you need to remove the 2 phillips head screws that hold it in place. The screws are located on the underside of the tray. Once this is removed the divider should just pull out.

I will have to look at the machine again later today and see if there are screws underneath the shelf... i've never looked down there.

You will also need left & right hand spirals. Be sure to order the same count spirals as the ones you already have. Good luck

If I was putting things sideways, like a PopTart package horizontally wouldn't two motors going in the same direction still be able to vend it?

If not, where would I buy these parts? I would only need 4 right since I have half of spirals already.

I will have to take a look at the machine to see what kind of shelf it is. I want to convert one row like this into chips, that row is 4 wide ... not 5.

Do you have a website or something that I can see prices on for everything if I need to buy these parts? Thanks

I think he's got a 4 wide AZ, so he should need 4 right hand motors and 4 of each spiral - 10 or 12 count.  My math was a little off in my first post, he's currently got 8 candy columns per tray or 16 total.

And the tray fronts

Yes, its 4 wide... what are tray fronts?

I still think it's a convertible tray - on a convertible tray every other divider has the movable spacer and that's what I see in the first picture.

I will take a look at it later today and try to see what it is.

Is there anything that I should take a picture of that would be helpful in identifying convertible or fixed tray?

If your tray is convertible, you would have alternating motors going clockwise and counter clockwise and your dividers between selections would be removable like the side spacers for snack selections are.  Your shelf is not convertible as all your motors are clockwise motors and you have fixed dividers.  The shelf fronts are the plastic pieces that are on the very front of the shelf and you will need 4 of those.  You also can't use two clockwise motors in a dual spiral selection as the products will jam up severely.  You have to have a counter clockwise motor on the left and a clockwise motor on the right.

Prices as follows:

4 CCW motor       24.45 = 97.80

4 Shelf front           2.40 = 9.60

4 CCW spiral       10.00 = 40.00

4 CW spiral          10.00 = 40.00

If this shelf is convertible, I would suggest using cd

Dual helix motors rather than a CW and CCW. This will also give you spare motors for inventory.

If your tray is convertible, you would have alternating motors going clockwise and counter clockwise and your dividers between selections would be removable like the side spacers for snack selections are.  Your shelf is not convertible as all your motors are clockwise motors and you have fixed dividers. 

In most cases you would have alternating motors and spirals on a convertible tray. However motor pairing wasn't available in the 120 series of Automatic Products machines until very late in the run . And even then it wasn't pushed as an option so very few 120 series machines have used it. It would be very unlikely that the machine in question would have alternating left/right motors/spirals. The easiest way to tell a AP 120 series convertible shelf is if every other candy divider has the movable spacer on it that narrows the column for candy. Also there should be a sticker on the top of the back plate on the tray that identifies it as a convertible shelf.

The AP 130 series and ST version of the Studios were the first machines (other than the Model 320) that motor pairing was pushed as an option.

If you need to order motors it would be best to use the Dual Spiral motor available - as the software in the AP122 may not have the option to motor pair in it.  Hard to explain but the motor pairing function in most AP120 series machines is only for the add on Model 320.

OK So I looked more closely at the shelf and found the two screws underneath holding the tray in place. I took that out and pulled on the spiral divider and that came out :D

The 122 that I have let me pair the two motors together and when I did a test vend they both spun at the same time.

Right now I put things back without the spacer and put fruit snack bags in their to test the "new" dual column. My machine has the golden eye sensor so it is guaranteed to vend even if it jams on the first run.

Both motors are only one direction however.

Not really the best solution but it sort of gets the job done

If your selection dividers are all removable, I'm surprised that you don't already have opposing motors in the machine.  If the shelf is convertible, meaning the dividers all remove easily, do you have 4 oblong holes in the rear frame of the shelf and 4 round holes for the motors?  The dual spiral motors require the oblong holes to be in the frame.  That would give you 8 spare clockwise motors.  If you only have 8 round holes for the spirals to connect through, then you will have to get the counter clockwise motors.  The dual motors will cost $2.40 more per motor and you will still need the shelf fronts and the matching right and left spirals.  Please let me know if you would like these parts.

OK So I looked more closely at the shelf and found the two screws underneath holding the tray in place. I took that out and pulled on the spiral divider and that came out :D

The 122 that I have let me pair the two motors together and when I did a test vend they both spun at the same time.

So you know one thing either it's a newer AP122 or the board has been upgraded. If you post the serial number I should be able to tell you exactly when it was built

If your selection dividers are all removable, I'm surprised that you don't already have opposing motors in the machine.  If the shelf is convertible, meaning the dividers all remove easily, do you have 4 oblong holes in the rear frame of the shelf and 4 round holes for the motors?  The dual spiral motors require the oblong holes to be in the frame. 

Automatic Products didn't start to use opposing motors in convertible trays until the ST/130 models.  Both dual spiral and single motors will work on this 122 shelf.

Archived