Motor Stall Errors

My AP 123 machine has worked well for almost 8 years. It is in a busy office and has a very high number of vends. Recently, it began to have many "motor 136 stalled" errors. It seems random and spread over many different motors. I don't see it being a motor problem. Seems more like a board or a battery problem. It has a Maxell Super Lithium ER6K 3.6V battery stamped 02-12. Is it possible that this battery could be the problem?

My AP 123 machine has worked well for almost 8 years. It is in a busy office and has a very high number of vends. Recently, it began to have many "motor 136 stalled" errors. It seems random and spread over many different motors. I don't see it being a motor problem. Seems more like a board or a battery problem. It has a Maxell Super Lithium ER6K 3.6V battery stamped 02-12. Is it possible that this battery could be the problem?

I own quite a few AP's but not this model.  Anytime I start seeing random vend issues I immediately suspect the keypad,  but it could be the board - the battery just protects the memory in case of short power outages.  Another possibility might be the tray harness but I've never had a problem with these in my AP machines.

I ran a motor test in diagnostics. Every motor passed except a motor for gum on the bottom tray. I also ran a test vend on every selection with the same results, only the single gum motor failed.

Does this information help to diagnose the problem?

I ran a motor test in diagnostics. Every motor passed except a motor for gum on the bottom tray. I also ran a test vend on every selection with the same results, only the single gum motor failed.

Does this information help to diagnose the problem?

If the machine is actually vending properly then you could have a control board on it's way down.  If you get random problems when vending then I suggest that you may have a bad keypad.  If you think this is the case, look for a pattern ie: everything item with "three" won't work or all the "B" tray items won't vend.

If your only problem is the error display, I wouldn't worry about it as long as everything's working.

Check the troubleshooting section of your manual to find out what "motor 136 stalled" really means - your machine doesn't have 136 motors so this is a code.

The Motor 136 is just an example. My selections go from 110 to 174, even numbers only. The motor 136 stalled isn't a code it just refers to that selection 136. When the problems occur, the machine accepts the dollar, the customer selects XXX and nothing happens. The motor never turns, there is no make another choice or invalid choice message. Basically, the machine keeps the dollar and never turns the motor.

The problem is random and happening on all 5 shelves.

Thanks for your help.

The Motor 136 is just an example. My selections go from 110 to 174, even numbers only. The motor 136 stalled isn't a code it just refers to that selection 136. When the problems occur, the machine accepts the dollar, the customer selects XXX and nothing happens. The motor never turns, there is no make another choice or invalid choice message. Basically, the machine keeps the dollar and never turns the motor.

The problem is random and happening on all 5 shelves.

Thanks for your help.

This smells like a bad board but don't rule out the harnesses.  Vendors Exchange will rebuild these boards for about $150 and I think Technivend may be in the same ballpark as well as AZ.  Usually you send them your board and they send out a refurbished one.

When the customer puts their dollar in, makes their selection and nothing happens, what do they see on the display?

Does the dollar show on the display before the selection is entered? 

Does the customer get the "Thank you" message after they make their selection but nothing vends?

Is proper change paid out after the phantom vend?

If you erase all errors and then this phantom vend occurs, do you immediately find a "Motor xxx stalled" error for that motor only?

On the non-working gum/mint motor, is the motor at 1/2 cycle?  If so does the door switch work, forcing all motors to home?

Does that bad motor show "Make another selection" when trying to buy it?

The first thing to check is if both wires are connected to the motor.

You might need to "turn on" the motor.  Go into the Configuration menu, scroll down to Motor Pairs and press the selection number for the bad g/m motor.  You should see Pair Motor XXX N, where XXX is the bad motor number.  Press > and the N flashes, press + and N changes to Y.  Now C/CE to back out of this function back to Master Menu.  Now close the door to force a motor scan then see if the motor show up.  If not, try repricing it.  If nothing works then the motor is probably bad or you have a harness problem behind the g/m rack.  If the wires from the motor next to it will reach, connect a different pair to the bad motor and see if it works using the good selection number.

Check the menu on the door. F3 on the service keypad will bring up "clear error" option. Use the +/- to toggle to "clear errors Y" then hit enter. The 123 holds the errors in memory until you clear the memory even if the error has been corrected.

Check the menu on the door. F3 on the service keypad will bring up "clear error" option. Use the +/- to toggle to "clear errors Y" then hit enter. The 123 holds the errors in memory until you clear the memory even if the error has been corrected.

This may sound funny but I would change out both your Dollar validator and your Coin acceptor. I have had bad coin acceptors and $1 validators cause crazy things to happen. If that does not work change ouit the main control board and see if that fixes it.

Archived