Massage Chair Purchase

Mooman333

I know a guy that has massage chair at a large bowling alley about 40 minutes from me.  I have been nagging him to sell it to me for a year but he didn't know how much he made from it, they just mail him a check every few months.  I told him i would give him $1000 cash right now, he finally said ok.

He allows them to keep 50% of the revenue though!  The chair has grossed $4400 dollars in three years, he gets half, so $2200, or about $760 a year.  I think $1000 i have offered him is sufficient, maybe too much?  Maybe offer $850?

Also, should i try renegoating terms with the owner of the business?  I would rather handle the money myself and go in and collect and pay them each month.  I was thinking maybe i could convince them to lower the commision to 25% and let me put a second chiar in another location in the building?

let me know what you guys think.

The chair is from thebackrubber.com if you were wondering what model.

Thanks

Coming from the soda/snack vending world, i thought that the 50% was obsurd! I didn't realize that was standard.  Does anybody have any experience with this brand of chair?

its a little high.

I only give 20% on my pinballs and video games.

wait until the chair breaks down, then that all comes out of your pocket.

I see out here mostly people just sit in them and dont pay.

and kids abuse them. learn to fix upolstry.

I'm starting to second guess this purchase... i found the same chairs on ebay for much less, however, this guy is trying to sell me a chair on location. 

How much is a location worth?

Is $1000 too much for this chair on the spot with a net profit of about $700 per year?

Here are similar chairs on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Massage-Vending-Chair-/221227884624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338235a050

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Massage-chair-vending-machines-/350794561267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51acfc36f3

I think it's a fair deal. More importantly in my book is you made an offer of 1k and he accepted.

Pay the man Moonie.

Yep,  a year ago would have been a good time to start thinking about this stuff - this is a done deal.  A verbal agreement is a binding contract.

Just to clarify:

You bugged the guy to sell his chair for a year.

You have already offered him $1k.

And only now are posting these questions?

I think in Texas this is called putting the cart before the horse.

I have a suspicion you offered more than the location and chair are worth.

I can't believe the owner would decline to sell for a year and then suddenly accept your offer unless you offered him too much.

I think it's a fair deal. More importantly in my book is you made an offer of 1k and he accepted.

Pay the man Moonie.

Agreed, you made the offer not really knowing anything about the deal and AFTER he accepts you want to renegotiate? Pay the guy. Dave Ramsey calls it "stupid tax".

Archived