Stupid Mistake

VendingExperts

I had a machine that I was changing products in.

I took off the label and there was a little residue left. I went to my go to gunk remover (carb cleaner.)

As a result it clouded the globe.

Is there anyway to restore the globe with some kind of polish and a buffer or is it pretty much trash?

The globe is no longer available therefore I pretty much trashed a perfectly good machine.

Any advice? Other than not to use carb or brake cleaner on plastic!

I had a machine that I was changing products in.

I took off the label and there was a little residue left. I went to my go to gunk remover (carb cleaner.)

As a result it clouded the globe.

Is there anyway to restore the globe with some kind of polish and a buffer or is it pretty much trash?

The globe is no longer available therefore I pretty much trashed a perfectly good machine.

Any advice? Other than not to use carb or brake cleaner on plastic!

It's only stupid if you do it twice - we all make mistakes.  I wish I could tell you the perfect fix but there are any number of acrylic restorers available - hopefully somebody here has used something that works the best.

Baby Oil works on old labels - you might need to let it soak a while, but it will come off.  I did 20 machines with 3 labels each this way

Not sure how to restore the globe.

Bart

Try PlastX - it's a pretty efficient, if slow, way to restore clarity to plastic. I'd guess it depends on just how far the 'cloudiness' has penetrated though - it is a cut and polish type product, so abrades the surface away (very slowly).

One thing you must always remember when cleaning inside of globe and it's inward parts that come in contact with candy or food NEVER use a product that is a poison that could leave a residue and come in contact with candy or food. Use a product that is safe like dish washing soap or some type of disinfectant because you don't want any residue getting on the candy and making people sick. I don't know what made you use that. If somebody saw you using that and reported you to the health dept you would be shut down in a heartbeat and your equipment confiscated along with a fine. Just remember big brother doesn't play around and common sense should be used. I don't know what to use to restore that globe but hopefully somebody will come up with a solution.

I was at Dollar General the other day and saw that they sold 2 different products for restoring old scratched and cloudy headlights . I was wondering if either of these would work on plastic globes. Cheaper of these was like $5.00 so might be with trying.

If you used the gunk cleaner only in the area where you had the label, why not just turn the globe around?

I know the desire is to get the globe back to 100% or close to it, but turning the globe around is not a bad option.

Turning it around is cheaper and quicker and you don't have to worry about making the globe worse using some product on the plastic in an attempt to restore it.

First Lesson.

NEVER use solvents or poisons in Food Vending Machines.

How would you like if you went for lunch at McDonalds and saw

the staff clean the food prep table with stainless steel cleaner,

then prepare your food on it?

Thanks I will try a plastic restorer before I trash this machine. It's a DI machine so worse comes to worse, it won't be a great loss.

I have seen water fountains and prep tables cleaned with stainless steel cleaner. We are not taking about walking into a location and spraying something on a machine that has edibles in it. This was a dismantled machine in the privacy of my own home. Obviously the globe would have been washed and thoroughly disinfected before use.

BTW is plastic restorer "food safe"!

Archived