Want to make a single price soda cheater cord

jerry1973

Hi, everyone. I want to make a cheater cord to help to diagnose single price soda machines quickly. I have found a pdf on how they wire up. I see that its a very simple wiring diagram, but I think the instructions do a lousy job of explaining how the actual switch wires up. I don't know which wire or wires actually activates the credit, and I don't know if it needs to be a momentary switch or just an on off switch.

post-4798-0-30010600-1384298364_thumb.jpg

Hi, everyone. I want to make a cheater cord to help to diagnose single price soda machines quickly. I have found a pdf on how they wire up. I see that its a very simple wiring diagram, but I think the instructions do a lousy job of explaining how the actual switch wires up. I don't know which wire or wires actually activates the credit, and I don't know if it needs to be a momentary switch or just an on off switch.

attachicon.gifcheater.jpg

Momentary switch........ Common/NC/NO

Blue or Pin 1 on Jones plug is common.

Yellow or Pin 3 on Jones plug is Normally Closed

Purple or Pin 7 on jones plug is Normally open

The cheater cord plugs into a single price machine in place of the coin mech.  Each press of the momentary switch will set a credit on the vend relay.  This allows you to test the machine on any column without the coin mech.  It can be used for quicker testing or to determine if a problem was caused by a bad coin mech.  Once you are finished testing the machine the coin mech can be plugged back in and the machine will function normally (assuming the coin mech is good).

It is just very handy for confirming that the coin mech is really the problem or for the times you want to quickly test vend columns without having to put money into the machine.  Of course, while test vending with coins and forcing the coin mech to make change will completely test the coin mech, sometimes you don't need to do that because you already know the mech is good, so you just want to test the vending.  I usually only use mine to quickly confirm a machine works fine with the cheater, proving that a suspected coin mech problem actually exists.  You can also use the cheater to confirm a good/bad vend relay when you're not sure if the problem is in the coin mech or the relay, or when you get tired of putting coins in while troubleshooting various problems in a machine.

Ok, to activate the credit are you momentarily opening the yellow (pin 3) or are you momentarily closing purple (pin 7)? or are you momentarily connecting them all together? If you are momentarily connecting all 3 together then when you release the switch, which wire or wires are being disconnected? Thanks guys.

I assume the normally closed yellow (pin 3) would be wired to the common directly, then momentarily connecting (or closing) purple (pin 7) would activate the credit, but I would like verification before I short something out. 

Jerry,

Use an old single price coin mech harness that you cut off of a worthless coin mech, such as an old Coinco S75.  Then use a selection switch from a single price machine.  Wire the switch up as the diagram shows and also ties wires 2 and 5 together if you want to test the correct change lamp.  Protect any bare connectors and now all you need to do is press the selection switch to set a credit.  Let the switch do all the thinking for you.

AZ, thanks, thats the piece of the puzzle that I was missing. I didn't know what switch the diagram was referring to. Thats why I was asking earlier if it needed to be momentary or what. Now that I see that its meant to be used with a dixie selection switch, its very simple, Thanks much!!

• 4 years later...
On 11/13/2013 at 7:14 AM, AZVendor said:

Jerry,

Use an old single price coin mech harness that you cut off of a worthless coin mech, such as an old Coinco S75.  Then use a selection switch from a single price machine.  Wire the switch up as the diagram shows and also ties wires 2 and 5 together if you want to test the correct change lamp.  Protect any bare connectors and now all you need to do is press the selection switch to set a credit.  Let the switch do all the thinking for you.

Can I use a selection switch from a multi-price machine? 

On 11/12/2013 at 4:24 PM, rmorris1953 said:

Momentary switch........ Common/NC/NO

Is this correct or is the diagram correct? I put one together as per diagram and it doesn’t work. Wondering if the NC and NO need to be switched. 

I was wrong and you need to use a single price selection switch.  That switch has three terminals, the multiprice switch only has two.  Make sure you tape up the connections so you don't electrocute yourself.  Use a Jones plug from a Coinco single price mech.

8 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

I was wrong and you need to use a single price selection switch.  That switch has three terminals, the multiprice switch only has two.  Make sure you tape up the connections so you don't electrocute yourself.  Use a Jones plug from a Coinco single price mech.

Thanks Randy. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 10:12 PM, allen watson said:

Is this correct or is the diagram correct? I put one together as per diagram and it doesn’t work. Wondering if the NC and NO need to be switched. 

This  thread is a mess. The schematic is completely wrong and the normally closed / normally open is wrong. This needs to be deleted it is horrible. I have tried to make this cheater cord using this thread and it’s all messed up.  The colors corresponding to the numbers are wrong. Number one is not purple it’s Brown. Blue is not even connected to the jones plug. It’s upside down and backwards and it has nothing to do with which plug I’m looking at. The numbers and wire colors are wrong either way.  Rant over. 

Edited by allen watson

9 hours ago, AZVendor said:

So just ignore the wire colors and know that each wire number needs to go to where the wire goes on the switch.  Colors don't matter, the wire and it's purpose does.

Got it! Thanks Randy

• 4 years later...