Stupid new guy bill acceptor questions. . .

ki4fkw

Ok, for those whom have been watching, I've juuuust about got my first drink machine working 100%. It's a learning adventure for me.

Last on my list of having the machine operating 100% is the bill acceptor. 

My machine is a Dixie Narco 276E. It has a Mars coin mechanism and a Mars 2500 bill acceptor.

Everything works - the machine vends properly - but there is no power to the bill acceptor (or at least the LED's front and back don't blink or light up).

The machine is completely refurbished by a professional company, so I assume the bill acceptor is in good shape.

I further assume that it is my ignorance that I have a setting on the machine or the acceptor wrong. All of my coin tubes (quarter, dime and nickel) are full.

How should the switches on the side of the bill validator be configured? Am I missing something else? 

Here is the manual to the bill acceptor, but so far, it's speaking Greek to me. http://www.meitechnical.com/mei-files/files/access-public/documentation/technical-documents/series_2000_operational_service_guide.pdf

Ok, for those whom have been watching, I've juuuust about got my first drink machine working 100%. It's a learning adventure for me.

Last on my list of having the machine operating 100% is the bill acceptor. 

My machine is a Dixie Narco 276E. It has a Mars coin mechanism and a Mars 2500 bill acceptor.

Everything works - the machine vends properly - but there is no power to the bill acceptor (or at least the LED's front and back don't blink or light up).

The machine is completely refurbished by a professional company, so I assume the bill acceptor is in good shape.

I further assume that it is my ignorance that I have a setting on the machine or the acceptor wrong. All of my coin tubes (quarter, dime and nickel) are full.

How should the switches on the side of the bill validator be configured? Am I missing something else? 

Here is the manual to the bill acceptor, but so far, it's speaking Greek to me. http://www.meitechnical.com/mei-files/files/access-public/documentation/technical-documents/series_2000_operational_service_guide.pdf

A professional refurbisher should provide a machine that's fully functional, including the validator and coin mech and it should all have a ninety day warranty.  They should also teach you how to change the pricing and set the machine up for what you want to vend (including flavor strips).  You've paid a premium by buying their machine versus a much cheaper one off Craigslist and the machine should be 100% location ready

It sounds like the BA is bad.

Common failure for this model is the capacitor on its logic board will display the symptoms you described.

Any professional company will happily test and exchange there BA for at least 90 days at no charge if you bring it to them.

Walta

Since this is and E model machine, if the coin mech and validator are connected as MDB devices (small 6 pin connector from the coin mech), then if the coin mech powers up but the validator won't (not even running the stacker at power-up), then you need to replace the validator.  I say this because in MDB machines, the machine connects to the validator harness which is plugged into the side of the Mars 2502/2512 validator, then the coin mech in turn, is plugged into the empty end of the validator harness.  Before pronouncing the Mars validator dead, you should inspect the pins in the side of the validator to ensure that none are bent over due to a sloppy installation of the validator harness.  Sometimes a pin will miss the connector and then get bent over as the connector is plugged in.

Since this is and E model machine, if the coin mech and validator are connected as MDB devices (small 6 pin connector from the coin mech), then if the coin mech powers up but the validator won't (not even running the stacker at power-up), then you need to replace the validator.  I say this because in MDB machines, the machine connects to the validator harness which is plugged into the side of the Mars 2502/2512 validator, then the coin mech in turn, is plugged into the empty end of the validator harness.  Before pronouncing the Mars validator dead, you should inspect the pins in the side of the validator to ensure that none are bent over due to a sloppy installation of the validator harness.  Sometimes a pin will miss the connector and then get bent over as the connector is plugged in.

Thanks, man. I got your parts, btw. They worked perfectly.

I'll get to checking the pins, now.

Hey,

New guy here as well, but not new to vending by a long shot. Another thing to check on that harness is whether or not the pins are seated in the plugs correctly, I had a string of bad harnesses come in with Mars validators where the plugs looked great but when you plugged them in the male end would push the wires right out the back of the female end.

I checked all of the plugs, didn't appear to be anything wrong with them.

Also, for all those who said it . . . I have had the machine for nearly a year now, so I'm sure warranty work is out. It has been sitting in a building, not used. 

Maybe I'll just try a new BA and see if that works.

If you have access to another one of the correct type, that would be the easiest way to confirm that the validator is bad.  If you need another bill validator for it, just PM me and I can send one out to you.

Archived