Candy for excessively humid environment (reef store)?

Nichole

Hi everyone!

For Christmas, I am purchasing a single-head Beaver machine for my Mom, and a friend of ours has already agreed to place it in his saltwater fish store. I expect it will be relatively low-volume, but Mom is retired and I know she'll love having a little thing on the side!

The environment in the shop is extremely humid (owner says "Overnight in the winter can hit as high as 90%... We run dehumidifiers, so normally between 35-70%"), but it's in Canada, so we're not concerned about sunlight or heat. I'm wondering which candies would hold up to the constant humidty. I'm leaning more towards a candy than a gumball because I figure candy will tempt the employees as well as the kids visiting with their parents ;), but gumballs would work if everything else is risky.

Does anyone have any experience in that sort of environment? I'd appreciate any advice.

Runts are about as good an option as you will find.

But no candy, not even runts, is impervious to humidity.

So having to deal with product gone bad may be a foregone conclusion since you believe this location will be a slow one.

As an aside...

If this machine winds up costing your mom some money rather than making her some money, then owning a candy machine will lose it's charm really quick.

It's clear that you do not expect your mom to get rich with this single machine.

But, I'm guessing you also don't want your mom to LOSE money because of this machine.

And losing money is a real possibility in the scenario you describe.

It's hard to make profit in bulk vending without buying in large quantities.

The lack of volume discounts and the high shipping can kill your profit before you even get started if you are not careful.

Crunch the numbers before you invest in this gift for your mom.

There is plenty of info here throughout the forum to help you do  that.

And because you mentioned the "kids that visit with their parents", maybe you should consider vending toys or bounce-balls instead of candy.

With toys you don't have to worry as much about the humidity.

Toys also tend to have a much longer shelf life than candy...which is important when you have only one location.

Runts are about as good an option as you will find.

But no candy, not even runts, is impervious to humidity.

So having to deal with product gone bad may be a foregone conclusion since you believe this location will be a slow one.

As an aside...

If this machine winds up costing your mom some money rather than making her some money, then owning a candy machine will lose it's charm really quick.

It's clear that you do not expect your mom to get rich with this single machine.

But, I'm guessing you also don't want your mom to LOSE money because of this machine.

And losing money is a real possibility in the scenario you describe.

It's hard to make profit in bulk vending without buying in large quantities.

The lack of volume discounts and the high shipping can kill your profit before you even get started if you are not careful.

Crunch the numbers before you invest in this gift for your mom.

There is plenty of info here throughout the forum to help you do that.

And because you mentioned the "kids that visit with their parents", maybe you should consider vending toys or bounce-balls instead of candy.

With toys you don't have to worry as much about the humidity.

Toys also tend to have a much longer shelf life than candy...which is important when you have only one location.

.....especially toys that are fish or aquatic related

Archived