Credit Cards: USA Tech vs. Crane MS (Merchandising Systems)

delb101

Hi

Does any one use Crane MS for their credit Card acceptance?

(http://www.cranems.com/getconnected.cfm)

I was talking to them the other day and they are just about cheaper then USA Tech.

Equipment Cost:

USA T:  $200-350 (depending on model)

Crane MS: Flat  $49 both models (You can choose: just the reader or combo reader(cash & card) Their $49 reader accepts ISIS also

Processing:

USA T: 5.9%

Crane MS: 5.4%

Monthly Fee:

USA T: $9.95

Crane MS: $12.95  ($3 higher but you SAVE $300 on equipment and 1/2% lower on processing)

(with Crane MS you chose Verizon, At & T or Tmobile - depending who has stronger signal in your area)

Crane MS also offers 2 tier pricing just like USA T.

I kept asking what are the hidden fees - they say NONE

I am going to TEST 1 reader next week and see how they compare.

Does anyone have experience using Crane MS?

Thanks

Del

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have something showing the fees associated with cc readers? A lication asked me to show them that there is indeed fees, and what those fees run like. Anyone have like a contract or something showing the fees

There are no fees to the customer when they purchase a product - though you might have a lower price for a cash transaction which in effect would be a "fee" for a credit/debit customer's purchase.  It sounds like that is what is being asked for.  The only fees are assessed against the machine owner as a monthly service fee for the batch reporting and the interchange fees per transaction and per batch.  These fees can be viewed on the supplier's web site.

Yeah thats what they wanna see the fees.I have to pay. Anyone have like a pdf showing what fees your paying. This place wants bottom pricing and healthy only so I told them I wouldnt raise pricing for regular Vending as more sales is more money in which case I can offset the card fees. But not if I do healthy.gotta raise it a.bit if they want cc readers

They do a real good job of not disclosing the fees on their website.  This is because of the different programs they sell the card reader on and the different options you can choose.  All of that impacts the fee structure, so you will have to call them to get something emailed or faxed to you.  Check out the Two Tier pricing page as that might be useful to you.  Just remember that with Two Tier pricing, all cash sales are at a discounted price, so cash sales won't recover any additional revenue to offset your investment in card readers.

All they have to do is Google for credit card interchange fees and they will see that there is a fee for any and all credit card transactions paid to the processor of the card.  The interchange fees are between the banks and the card issuer and there is absolutely no card transaction made without a fee assessed.  Those fees are then passed on to you the vending operator.  It's just like any business that accepts credit cards for payments - that business will pay a fee for the transaction approval, for each batch of transactions sent to the processor, and then another fee at the end of the month when the bank fees are assessed on the merchant service statement.  I would bet your customer allows their customers to pay with credit cards - they pay fees to their merchant service for those transactions so they should understand this. 

Just called usat they said $289 for the g8. No shipping or activation fee. Its 5.9% per transaction and $7.99 a month for fees. Anyone have the crane one or use something else

• 7 months later...

Not sure if this conversation is still running, but any updates.  I use ePort devices from USA tech, but the only choice is Verizon service and some of my locations do not have a strong signal for Verizon.  I love the reports USA tech can provide, it does save me time when filling up my  machines and handling inventory.  I did speak with a USA tech recently and in 2015, they are supposed to offer ATT service, but it will require new card readers....so I have held off on buying new card readers for a few locations. 

What's the status on the Crane MS vs. ePort with USA Tech?

I use both Crane & USAT, I think Crane's reports are much better than USAT hands down.  That being said USAT big advantage is that you can get real time data, with Crane you need to wait until the following day.  Crane has told me that they are working towards real time reports, who know when that will be.  All of my Crane Readers are integrated cashless and they seem to work very well I also love the ability to mesh multiple machines. 

Just like everything else its personal preference, but I would challenge anyone's claim that the USAT reports are better. 

All of my Crane Readers are integrated cashless and they seem to work very well I also love the ability to mesh multiple machines. 

I was told that you are not able to mesh any of the Navigators together, I would really like additional information on this

Not sure what you are asking Angry, Integrated cashless, means that I don't have a cutout and stand alone card reader, Crane offers this in their Media machines.  Mesh, I have several locations with multiple machines either two snack machine or a combo of Crane Snack and Bevmax.  With the mesh capability I can connect multiple machines and only use one cell line, by doing this I only pay one fee of $12.95/month which saves me the additional service fee. 

RSchlig - I don't know what a navigator is?  I have several of the Media machines which have built in cashless, yes I'm able to mesh (connect) multiple machines at any give location.  Its not a huge deal but I'm able to save $12.95/month at every location I can mesh multiple machines. 

Not sure what you are asking Angry, Integrated cashless, means that I don't have a cutout and stand alone card reader, Crane offers this in their Media machines.  Mesh, I have several locations with multiple machines either two snack machine or a combo of Crane Snack and Bevmax.  With the mesh capability I can connect multiple machines and only use one cell line, by doing this I only pay one fee of $12.95/month which saves me the additional service fee. 

RSchlig - I don't know what a navigator is?  I have several of the Media machines which have built in cashless, yes I'm able to mesh (connect) multiple machines at any give location.  Its not a huge deal but I'm able to save $12.95/month at every location I can mesh multiple machines. 

The meshing is what I was asking about, not the integrated deal.  What I want to know is... when you say one cell line costs you 12.95... is that the bottom line monthly service fee (not including the transaction fees)?  I think I pay $7.95 for my USAT readers.

What I want to know is this.. lets say you have a snack and a soda machine (both reader capable).  Do you need TWO readers, but only have to pay ONE fee of $12.95?  Or is there some other form of communication between the devices?  In other words... do you end up paying one monthly fee PER ACCOUNT unlike the rest of us with USAT readers that pay a monthly fee PER READER?

That's the information I am looking for.

What Paveitall is describing is related to the integrated card readers and realtime data reporting that is built in to the newer Crane Media machines.  This is entirely a deal within that line of equipment.  If you wanted to do this with Crane's Navigator card readers it is certainly possible, but it's iffy that you'll actually like the lack of support and integration that Crane's stuff has right now. 

Archived