Movin' On Up, or trying to...

Randy 805

Hey guys, I'm trying to phase out some older Crane 145's from my locations, and replace them with something newer, the Cranes function well, but are increasingly requiring more and more repairs and service calls. 

I'd like to really start moving in a new direction, more upscale and position my small route for some good growth with a strong base snack machine to build from and use as a selling point, I plan to start going after larger accounts and really want to impress them with what I can offer...  What I need is something that has looks nice and newer (not brand new per say though this is a possibility), has dual coils, a guaranteed vend system of some kind, MDB, and the option of integrating Credit Card readers and a remote monitoring system in the near future.  The guy I've been using for parts is a good knowledgable guy and sells refurbished machines and has asked me to consider the USI 3152 as he recently aquired a few of them, price is reasonable at $1495 each, these machines seem to meet all my previous requirements with the exception of the guaranteed vend system, what I need to know is first, is the USI, particuilarily this model a good base machine for expansion?  If not what would be a suitable substitute?  Also, is there a way to integrate some kind of guaranteed vend system into these?  I've heard that many 3rd party GV systems dont really work all that well and actually cause more trouble than they are worth, but it's a strong selling point I'd like to offer as I hunt for the bigger accounts.

What say ye?

Randy

You know after re-reading this, it's pretty similar to my post a day or so ago, for some reason it sounded different in my head.  Thanks to all those who previously responded and who respond to this.

You know after re-reading this, it's pretty similar to my post a day or so ago, for some reason it sounded different in my head.  Thanks to all those who previously responded and who respond to this.

I'm kind of interested in the AMS Outsider as my next "go to" machine to replace the AP7600's I have.  The downside is you have to buy them new in California as you'll never find anybody who's got a used one when you need it.  The alternative for me is the revision door - I finally got one and am attempting to install it on an AP7600 this weekend with my brother's help (the doors are too heavy for one guy to maneuver).  I read the directions and it seems complex but maybe it'll make more sense once I get into it.

I was going to point that out to you, as the forum generally frowns on duplicate posts.  They may end up merging these two threads.

If you are certain you want to offer guaranteed vend then don't bother with the USI's that guy has as no aftermarket kit will work on that flimsy delivery bin.  You would have to get parts from USI to put on the machine and you probably won't like the prices.  Not knowing what machines are typically found in your area, you will see that machines with guar. vend probably won't be readily available.  You might have to go to a major rebuilder such as VE if you want a fairly steady supply of any one particular model.  If you can lower the standard a little bit you could look for dual spiral machines only, with or without guar. vend, or if you are more flexible you could use any machine you find that has either or both options.  You have to remember that dual spirals were standard in National's and optional in AP's and guar. vend was only standard in AMS but they didn't have dual spirals and they're pretty ugly machines in my opinion. 

As to having card readers as an option and you are certain that you will be using them in accounts that warrant them or using them as a selling tool, you will have to find newer machines that use the MDB communication protocol.  This is how the card reader communicates with the logic board, so it's a must have if you want to simply pop a card reader into a machine.  The plus is that the same newer machines will be more likely to have the dual spirals and guar. vend options, too.

One other option is to find dual spiral machines from AP and National and the ones that don't have guar. vend can be upgraded to aftermarket boards that will give you MDB, guar. vend for an additional price and allow card readers.  Heck, with an aftermarket board and guar. vend you can go find a bunch of AP113's and upgrade them, refront and paint them and they'll look like new.

It's good that you are looking to the future and planning your expansion.  You are thinking smart and you are increasing your chances of being successful with this type of planning.  Good luck with this, I like your refreshing attitude.

I'm kind of interested in the AMS Outsider as my next "go to" machine to replace the AP7600's I have.  The downside is you have to buy them new in California as you'll never find anybody who's got a used one when you need it.  The alternative for me is the revision door - I finally got one and am attempting to install it on an AP7600 this weekend with my brother's help (the doors are too heavy for one guy to maneuver).  I read the directions and it seems complex but maybe it'll make more sense once I get into it.

Follow-upl we just got the door on finally - the directions are worthless (maybe the French part makes more sense)  Basically all the parts and then some are there - it's just up to you to figure out which ones you'll need and how they fit.  Tomorrow I tackle the control board hook-up - the upside is that there aren't any directions so figuring out how to program it should be interesting (at least this time I'll know I'm on my own)  :blink:

Thanks Falls,  we got it figured out - just ticks me off that the manual is so bad, Instead of duplicating it in French they could have printed one that actually discussed the parts required to install the door instead of making us figure it out while manuevering a 60 lb door. It was a real PITA

I was going to point that out to you, as the forum generally frowns on duplicate posts.  They may end up merging these two threads.

If you are certain you want to offer guaranteed vend then don't bother with the USI's that guy has as no aftermarket kit will work on that flimsy delivery bin.  You would have to get parts from USI to put on the machine and you probably won't like the prices.  Not knowing what machines are typically found in your area, you will see that machines with guar. vend probably won't be readily available.  You might have to go to a major rebuilder such as VE if you want a fairly steady supply of any one particular model.  If you can lower the standard a little bit you could look for dual spiral machines only, with or without guar. vend, or if you are more flexible you could use any machine you find that has either or both options.  You have to remember that dual spirals were standard in National's and optional in AP's and guar. vend was only standard in AMS but they didn't have dual spirals and they're pretty ugly machines in my opinion. 

As to having card readers as an option and you are certain that you will be using them in accounts that warrant them or using them as a selling tool, you will have to find newer machines that use the MDB communication protocol.  This is how the card reader communicates with the logic board, so it's a must have if you want to simply pop a card reader into a machine.  The plus is that the same newer machines will be more likely to have the dual spirals and guar. vend options, too.

One other option is to find dual spiral machines from AP and National and the ones that don't have guar. vend can be upgraded to aftermarket boards that will give you MDB, guar. vend for an additional price and allow card readers.  Heck, with an aftermarket board and guar. vend you can go find a bunch of AP113's and upgrade them, refront and paint them and they'll look like new.

It's good that you are looking to the future and planning your expansion.  You are thinking smart and you are increasing your chances of being successful with this type of planning.  Good luck with this, I like your refreshing attitude.

Thanks AZ,

I'm considering a base National 147/148 with the Revision Door from VE, it would have everything I need I think, LED lighting, motion sensor with light dimmer, new board, guaranteed vend, dual coils, available CC reader, ect...

How are the National 147/148's as far as a base model, Pros & Cons of those machines?

If you want to use either the 147 or 157 series you will need to add in the cost of installing the shelf connector upgrade kit.  The original shelf connectors in those models are notorious for losing contact with the shelves.  Installing the kit will make the machine much more reliable and you can then upgrade from there.  The 147 (not sure about the 157) can't do MDB so an aftermarket board will be the best solution to enable you to add a cc reader.  The Revision door and board kit, LED lights, shelf kit, etc., will be good upgrades, but all these upgrades will add up so you will need to buy the machines right.

You should see what these models would cost from VE with all the upgrades already done.  They used to have a price list of machines published, but now you have to call for pricing.  You can probably get a break if you buy in quantity.

If you want to use either the 147 or 157 series you will need to add in the cost of installing the shelf connector upgrade kit.  The original shelf connectors in those models are notorious for losing contact with the shelves.  Installing the kit will make the machine much more reliable and you can then upgrade from there.  The 147 (not sure about the 157) can't do MDB so an aftermarket board will be the best solution to enable you to add a cc reader.  The Revision door and board kit, LED lights, shelf kit, etc., will be good upgrades, but all these upgrades will add up so you will need to buy the machines right.

You should see what these models would cost from VE with all the upgrades already done.  They used to have a price list of machines published, but now you have to call for pricing.  You can probably get a break if you buy in quantity.

I followed another thread on here and found that these guys are a distributor for VE and advertised better pricing than VE, I noticed that they offer the 147 with the Revision Door already installed for $2,250, not sure if that includes the shelf connector upgrade kit you spoke of, probably not...  I also want to price the same setup from VE directly to see how they compare.  Another benefit of ordering from these guys is that they're based in CO., I'm in CA., so shipping would most likely be cheaper from CO. to CA. than from OH. where VE is located.

http://www.vendorstech.com/Vending-Machines.html

I doubt that would include the shelf connector upgrade.  I would also doubt that they can get you very many of them at any given time, but if you only need them on a one-at-a-time basis, they might be able to supply them at that rate. 

I doubt that would include the shelf connector upgrade.  I would also doubt that they can get you very many of them at any given time, but if you only need them on a one-at-a-time basis, they might be able to supply them at that rate. 

Ya, probably only need between 2-4 at a time for now...slow & steady as she goes, I don't want to bury myself in debt for this, with 2-4 at a time I can set them up and pay them off relatively easily, then acquire more as I need them without stretching myself too thin.

Archived