Vendors need Vacations too!

tc vending

I get a lot more questions especially since I went to a uniform this year about the vending business. I would love to have a normal vacation were I could leave for a week rest however vending machines don't stock themselves and they will break when you have other things to do. Also you have no sick time worked my route with flu this week. This is what I would like to tell these ppl that ask me about the vending business thinking I make lots of money.  Thank God most of my accounts are closed a lot Christmas week I get some extra time off, but its been a great year looking forward to the next. Anybody else have any thought on sick days or vacation? 

Thats why you cant grow too big on your own. Or have small equipment. Luckily I only run my route twice a week, I could do once a week if I started early and left late. Like 8-7 pm. If it took me more thab 3 days a week id get an employee

this comes back to what are you in this for and the choices you have to make.

You can choose to hire someone to cover your route while your gone, You can have a family member or your best friend cover for you.

And this is a BIG ONE, What happens if something happens to you and you spend 5 days in the hospital. You need a contingency plan.

I have always had one but did not realize how important that was until I had two strokes in three days the first week in october this year.

My kids who grew up with the buisness and my best friend knew exactly what to do and who to service when I got rushed to the er twice and spent almost 6 days in the hospital. And then I had to have them switch off and on driving me around for two weeks because I was not allowed to drive or be by myself for more than an hour at a time. (Sorry I got off topic)

Anyway we like to camp so we havent taken what would be considered a normal vacation in years.

What we do is take friday and monday and we try to do this at least once a month and we try to do every other week in the summer.

WE crank out whatever we need to from monday to thursday and try to hit the road on friday and one of my kids or my best friend will cover in case I get a service call or a so called vending emergency lol. 

That works for us because we are not going to the bahamas and laying on the beach kind of people. After four days we are ready to get back to work.

So it all comes down to in my mind the choices you want to make. IMO if you want to work 8 to 4 and have two or three weeks of paid vacation where you can forget about the buisness and stuff then you are either going to have to pay someone or not go

My .02

Well I have taken it pretty easy this week. I thank you for your input things have changed in our family and left me with no help temporarly. My point was this for anyone look to jump into vending its not as easy or profitable as most think.

Archived