Route purchase opportunity

SeaGypsy

I'm just getting started and have a line on a bulk route near my home.  Included are 34 located  1800 triple machines.  The asking prices is $5500 and the seller isn't real motivated from what I can tell.  The price seems high compared to what I've read int he posts here.   They are also ready to be serviced.   I'm calculating that a fair price would be closer to $3500.  Any comments or experience?

Stephanie

Welcome Stephanie.  Any comments I would have for you would be based on the monthly gross of the route, whether it's 100% candy or if he's doing GB/toys and if it's commission or charity based.  Without that, there's really nothing to compare your $5500 and $3500 figures.

Best of luck with it!

FWIW

I would question that gross amount. thats over $26 month per stop, not likely, unless he has good documentation I would not believe it.

As for your offer of $3500 thats too high.

I would start at $2000 and go up from there.

at $2500 top end thats $73 per stop, worst case you can get most of your money back in equipment if the locations bomb.

Thats been my rule of thumb so far and its worked out pretty good.

I just bought a small route and paid $60 per location and thats was high for me, I have paid as little as 40-50 per stop

Sweetstop and I are usually on the same page so take this with a grain of salt - I may be having an off day.  I have paid as little as 1.5 months gross for a stop, but generally they are worth far more than that.  I also disagree that $26/month is unlikely.  If a candy vendor has properly culled his/her route as they've grown $26 is easily attainable.  I average over $42/loc with my candy stops, but I also know that's not the norm. You would definitely want to run the route with the existing vendor to verify numbers.  

I'd value this route at $3,600 or approximately 8 months net.  I'm generally looking for 4-5 months return on investment for candy locs, but this route has a few factors tilting in it's favor.  $26/month is a high average for a candy stop and I'm always willing to pay a premium for places that up my hourly take.  Being only 2 year old 1800's, there's some nice resale value baked in here.  If I was him I wouldn't be terribly motivated either.  He knows what he has, this isn't a route of neglected vendesigns.  

Ask yourself this - what would you pay for a newer/used 1-800 (in my neighborhood they go for $70/$90 routinely).  Now put it on a 3.5/4-star candy location (which these are if they truly gross as advertised).  It starts looking a little different.  

Rick I do agree with you to some extent.

beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. In my experience most people are not selling "successful" routes.

thats why I doubt the higher averages.

if he can back up his numbers $3600 is a decent number, 1800's are a decent machine.

Also what one would pay depends on the individual. Ive got some of my best deals because i am willing to walk away. If someone really wants it and there isn't much else out there It could also command a higher price.

good luck Stephanie, let us know how it goes!

Update:   We are in the bulk candy business!!  I bought the route this week along with 14 additional like new 1800's I found on Craig's list for $35 each including 5 more without the canisters.   Thank you so much for all the guidance and the wealth of information sharing on this forum.   It has cut the learning curve way down.   I'm ready to start working with a locator in my area to get these machines placed asap.

I'm ready to start working with a locator in my area to get these machines placed asap.

Welcome to the world of bulk vending. Don't hire a locator. Do your own locating to save money and learn the business.

Update:   We are in the bulk candy business!!  I bought the route this week along with 14 additional like new 1800's I found on Craig's list for $35 each including 5 more without the canisters.   Thank you so much for all the guidance and the wealth of information sharing on this forum.   It has cut the learning curve way down.   I'm ready to start working with a locator in my area to get these machines placed asap.

Nice work - very happy for you!  $35 apiece like-new 1-800's is borderline theft so that's a great purchase!  For the most part, I agree with dkochan.  If you rely 100% on locating services for growth, chances are good you'll end up very disappointed.  I'd humbly suggest you split the difference and start by ordering 3 locs with a service as well as try locating yourself and gaining experience with that.  Opinions vary on locators from complete waste of money to best way to grow quickly and everything in between.  

An argument could also be made to taking a breath: run the route, get your service cycle dialed in, get comfortable with the nuances of your machines, proper cleaning and maintenance, comfort with your tracking methodology and vend amounts, etc.  Five minutes after I bought my first route I was ready to expand...and five minutes later I realized there was a helluva lot more that went into it than filling machines and collecting quarters.  

Archived