Changing candy to .50

LandJGroup

We still do a small number of candy heads (35). All of which are skittles or runts, and at the lowest setting per vend. I've wanted to get out of candy entirely but I have some accounts that absolutely kill the hard pressed stuff. Been seriously considering switching all of them to .50. Has anyone done this yet? If not I will have some decent data about this switch over the next few months or so. Gonna keep the candy vend amount about the same...Maybe a bit more but hey, who knows until you try.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose you could try .50 in new locations.  I think you would hear complaining if you raised prices in current locations. You'd be surprised what some people expect for .25.  I know it's ridiculous, but people are funny.   i can't tell you how many times people tell me they got ripped off over a quarter.   

If I only had Runts and Skittles, I would make next to nothing. I might try Nitwitz, but Runts are complete bust here. They don't even sell if people ask for them.  

I'd want to get into toys, but I can put a candy machine anywhere.  I certainly can't do that with toys. The only places I see toys are grocery stores, dollar stores, some pizza parlors and Walmart.  That's it. You don't see them anywhere else.  Now, this may present an opportunity for me. Plus Vendomatic has the lion's share of contracts around here. I don't see many small time guys with racks.  So I have a challenge to break into this market as an independent vendor.  I have some work to do, buy it may pay handsomely if I can make it work. 

Don't see why it would be a big deal. I have a candy crane I just put out last week priced at .50 and it picks up maybe a piece or two when you win. It did $250 in the first week there, so people will pay .50(actually I have it priced with 2 tokens).

I suppose you could try .50 in new locations. I think you would hear complaining if you raised prices in current locations. You'd be surprised what some people expect for .25. I know it's ridiculous, but people are funny. i can't tell you how many times people tell me they got ripped off over a quarter.

If I only had Runts and Skittles, I would make next to nothing. I might try Nitwitz, but Runts are complete bust here. They don't even sell if people ask for them.

I'd want to get into toys, but I can put a candy machine anywhere. I certainly can't do that with toys. The only places I see toys are grocery stores, dollar stores, some pizza parlors and Walmart. That's it. You don't see them anywhere else. Now, this may present an opportunity for me. Plus Vendomatic has the lion's share of contracts around here. I don't see many small time guys with racks. So I have a challenge to break into this market as an independent vendor. I have some work to do, buy it may pay handsomely if I can make it work.

I've done the .50 cent switch with toys (over a 100+ mecs so far) and have had zero complaints. Most of these are accounts I've had for years. I hate candy, but at .50 I could adapt. I don't have many candy heads out, but believe me they will all be at .50 in the near future.

I've done the .50 cent switch with toys (over a 100+ mecs so far) and have had zero complaints. Most of these are accounts I've had for years. I hate candy, but at .50 I could adapt. I don't have many candy heads out, but believe me they will all be at .50 in the near future.

Well I tried MM Peanuts at 50 cents for a while a few years ago.  Results were average and choppy at best.  In some places, it did well at first then tapered off significantly.  In the end, not worth messing with.  Never tried any other candies at 50 cents.  I have eliminated all candies except for Runts and overall it does well at a quarter in many places.  Have had some $60 to $80 Runt/Gumball doubles' collections this cycle - nice margin AND no mess AND no commissions!  It's nice to not mess with all that other candy.  Been thinking about Chewy Spree as an alternative, but have not pulled the trigger on that one yet. 

Profit is the name of the game, so .50 for candy may be a good idea.  I hope it works for you. It's good to stay informed on the market so we can maximize profit.  I will definitely vend 1" toys at .50, even though I see many vending at .25.  I agree that sometimes you should price as you see fit and not worry about the competitor's price.  As we used to say in the sales biz, Don't be afraid of your selling price. 

Profit is the name of the game, so .50 for candy may be a good idea. I hope it works for you. It's good to stay informed on the market so we can maximize profit. I will definitely vend 1" toys at .50, even though I see many vending at .25. I agree that sometimes you should price as you see fit and not worry about the competitor's price. As we used to say in the sales biz, Don't be afraid of your selling price.

Well said Dan. I've just noticed that in my region almost all the full time guys have raised their prices on everything except flat, so naturally I think candy is the next thing to go up. The good thing about candy is you can adjust your vend, so if one were to get complaints you can justify it by setting the pie wheel accordingly. For me I'm going to keep the pie wheel the same.

Archived