Arcade: Need for Speed or Fast & Furious?

jayhawk22

I am looking to buy either a linked pair of Need for Speed or a linked pair of Fast & Furious.  What are your guys thoughts on these 2 games?  Which is a newer game and/or a better earner.  I assume they are similar in age & earnings.  Any thoughts anyone could provide such as reliability or service issues would be appreciated.  Thanks!

We have a linked pair of Need for Speed in our arcade that we purchased new back in 2004 and have since been upgrade to Underground.  Overall we have been happy with them.  No major repairs and they are still decent earners for a video.  There are two persistent issues we have had with them though.  One has been the force feedback in the steering.  It seems to be every couple of months one of the gears strips out or a belt will strip or break.  It is possible to overide this when the game is powered up, so if it is your location and your folks running it, then it will get overridden.  If these units were on location elsewhere I would be concerned that they would just sit out of order when in fact they could still be played.  The other issue is in the shifter.  It just seems that over time and from the constant flexing the wires leading to the microswitches will eventually break, preventing you from going into one of the 6 gears.  Eventually, the game will just default to automatic and not allow you to select manual until the shifter has been repaired.   Neither one of these issues is a complicated or difficult repair.  Within 30-45 minutes you can be up and running again and since it is at our location we can deal with it. 

I have no knowledge or experience with the Fast & Furious to offer any type of comparison.

We have a linked pair of Need for Speed in our arcade that we purchased new back in 2004 and have since been upgrade to Underground.  Overall we have been happy with them.  No major repairs and they are still decent earners for a video.  There are two persistent issues we have had with them though.  One has been the force feedback in the steering.  It seems to be every couple of months one of the gears strips out or a belt will strip or break.  It is possible to overide this when the game is powered up, so if it is your location and your folks running it, then it will get overridden.  If these units were on location elsewhere I would be concerned that they would just sit out of order when in fact they could still be played.  The other issue is in the shifter.  It just seems that over time and from the constant flexing the wires leading to the microswitches will eventually break, preventing you from going into one of the 6 gears.  Eventually, the game will just default to automatic and not allow you to select manual until the shifter has been repaired.   Neither one of these issues is a complicated or difficult repair.  Within 30-45 minutes you can be up and running again and since it is at our location we can deal with it. 

I have no knowledge or experience with the Fast & Furious to offer any type of comparison.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to TVF.

Fast and furious hands down, they will out earn nfs any day of the week. Nfs have endless issues while our ff keep earning.

Thanks for the tip Southern!  I really like the looks of Fast and Furious.  I do like the neon lights on Need for Speed though.  I think in the end it comes down to reliability & which earns more.  I appreciate any advice I can get from you arcade guys.  I am mainly a bulk & redemption vendor but I have arcade in 5 accounts.

Yeah, don't bother with the Need for Speeds, you will eventually end up with computer issues in them along with force feedback issues, etc... Are you talking about the original Fast N Furious? These are decent earners, but see if you can find a pair of FNF Tokyo Drift. Those will still earn good and have all the courses of FNF as well as new ones. One thing to check for though, is if they have the original Microtel PC's in them. If they do, they are CRAP!!!! Get some upgraded Dells in them and you should have no issues besides maybe a power supply going out. Microtel PC's are a time bomb waiting to explode!!!

Yeah, don't bother with the Need for Speeds, you will eventually end up with computer issues in them along with force feedback issues, etc... Are you talking about the original Fast N Furious? These are decent earners, but see if you can find a pair of FNF Tokyo Drift. Those will still earn good and have all the courses of FNF as well as new ones. One thing to check for though, is if they have the original Microtel PC's in them. If they do, they are CRAP!!!! Get some upgraded Dells in them and you should have no issues besides maybe a power supply going out. Microtel PC's are a time bomb waiting to explode!!!

Thanks for the info.  I may hold off & look for the Drifts.

I have a couple Need for Speeds and 4 Tokyo Drifts and all of them have been pretty darn solid.  The drifts are all slowing but sure going down with "low battery" warnings which seem to be an easy fix and they are back up running again.  I also have a couple Nascar drivers that are same for reliability.

I have 2 H2O Overdrives linked and they do fairly well.

my drifts do well and they are several years old ..like clockwork about every $1000 or so that goes through them then you have to send computer off to get fixed,, same with all Raw thrills games I have.. I think they put timer or something in programming to cause this to happen! lol ...cause my big buck hunters etc do the same thing.

my drifts do well and they are several years old ..like clockwork about every $1000 or so that goes through them then you have to send computer off to get fixed,, same with all Raw thrills games I have.. I think they put timer or something in programming to cause this to happen! lol ...cause my big buck hunters etc do the same thing.

Do you have the crappy Microtel PC's in your drifts? How about your Buck Hunters? If so, the next time you are better off investing in the Dell PC's since they last much longer and do not have the problems the Microtel PC's do. Plus you can pick up the Dell PC's for like $100 each...

all buck hunters since big buck now use dells.

even segas "dead" games use dells. and run linux.

Oh yeah, all the newer bucks like Safari, World, etc.. use Dells, but I am talking about the Buck Pro's that are still out on location that were upgraded to World.  Are you talking about the House of Dead series from Sega? Don't remember any of those using Dell PC's all the way up to HOD4.....

Oh yeah, all the newer bucks like Safari, World, etc.. use Dells, but I am talking about the Buck Pro's that are still out on location that were upgraded to World.  Are you talking about the House of Dead series from Sega? Don't remember any of those using Dell PC's all the way up to HOD4.....

hmm, well HOD4 theatre used dell parts in a generic server case.

hell, williams pinball 2000 was pc based too.

Archived