Rethinking machines for starting out

SRC

We're in Greensboro right now, but may be moving to Chapel Hill this summer.  I won't know for another month or so if we'll be moving, and we don't plan on placing any machines yet until we know where we will be, so I've got some time to get all of this planned out.  Good luck to you as well!

This is all such great advice, I wish I had read up here before I bought these two used Vendstars.  But live and learn, at least we didn't spend much money and my kids are getting a kick out of using quarters to get candy from the machine we have set up, lol.  I think I decided to order 2 of the PO89 300s, one for candy and one for gumballs with 25 cent mech and 1 PO89 panel for capsules with 50 cent mech.  That way I can get a look at each type of machine and if we decide we like the panel better we'll just get those from now on.  I will probably get a 450 soon, but maybe just for gumballs on a single stand, since that will last longer than candy.  The 300 sounds like a good one to start on for candy, I'm thinking 2 300s on a double stand of candy and gumballs could be a good setup for some locations.  I know peanut M&Ms are either a blessing or a curse, but I might start out with them anyhow, we can get a 56 oz bag at Sams for $8.88 here.  But I may change my mind after we mess around with the machine settings, weights, and work out the costs.  If not those, I'm thinking Skittles could be a good alternative.  I'm leaning towards Bubble King assorted gumballs over Dubble Bubble - DB is cheaper at Sams, but everyone seems to love Bubble King more, so it might be worth the extra cost.  Sound like a good plan?

Ah, but toys.  Who knows what we are thinking with that.  Hubby really wants to vend toys, I'm on the fence about it, but I figure it doesn't hurt to get a few machines and 1 inch toys on hand, just in case he's able to find some good locations for toys.  It just seems like we'd need to do toys on commission, and I'm not sure about going down that road yet.  But I know I need to keep an open mind about it because most of you seem to like toys and do a lot on commission, and no one is going to let us put up a rack for charity.  The more I read up here, the more I am drawn to toys!  If we can actually sell 1" toys for 50 cents, then the profit is good.  And the idea of having a product that you don't have to worry about melting or going stale is very tempting.  I'm even thinking about maybe focusing on gumballs in most locations, just because they seem to be more durable than candy.  But we shall see.  I'm just excited to have finally made a decision about machines to try out.  And it only took a week, lol.  Thanks for all the suggestions - any input is always appreciated.

Nobody says you can't vend toys on a double pipe stand.  The machines don't have to be on a rack. In fact, I have more double and triples with toys than I do racks. And the good thing is that on the PO89 machine the same wheels will vend Gumballs or 1.1" capsules.  Just take the pacman looking piece that is under the wheel out to do capsules. The perfect combination is gumballs in one head for .25 and a 1" capsule for .50 in the other head.

That's a very standard set-up for my charity route.

Thanks, that's really good to know others have toys on charity locations.  I think that set up would work out well in locations with kids, and then maybe we'd do the candy/gumball set up for locations with mainly adults. 

Thanks, that's really good to know others have toys on charity locations.  I think that set up would work out well in locations with kids, and then maybe we'd do the candy/gumball set up for locations with mainly adults. 

Now you're starting to get it. And remember-It only takes 1 sugar junkie to make a really good location. Another thing to remember is that the Gumball is the lowest COG item you will probably ever vend.

I have several doubles with toys and gumballs. Some places want let you put in a rack.

You make a good point. There have been locations that we have tried to place racks and these are good spots like super markets or a buffet. Then a charity machine will pop up and they still can't pull the trigger on a rack.

Archived