Rustoluem flat black vs satin

I am planning to paint my FSI 3039 snack machine today. I read most of the post on how to paint snack machine and to use rustoleum satin black or flat black. I noticed most are using satin black. Well I went to my local lowes to purchase rustoleum satin black, but all they had was rustoleum satin black for outdoor furniture which is not in the professional series as the flat black was. With this in mind, I decided to get the flat black since it was professional series. My question to you guys is the outdoor furniture satin black just as good as the professional series? See pic.... I prefer to have satin if the paint is same quality as professional series. Thoughts...

post-8103-0-10226900-1394284617_thumb.jpg

I can't speak to the quality of the Outdoor Furniture series vs. the Professional Series, but you probably don't want to do flat black.  It will look very dull especially in black.  Satin black is about as dull as I would want to go and gloss looks the best but will show smudges easier.  If you let the paint dry real hard and then wipe it down after you install it, the gloss black will look real nice in your location. 

Can you go anywhere else to find Rustoleum?  If this is your only choice perhaps the Outdoor Furniture paint will do the job.  Just remember, preparation of the surface (sanding and cleaning) is 75% of the finished product.

I am planning to paint my FSI 3039 snack machine today. I read most of the post on how to paint snack machine and to use rustoleum satin black or flat black. I noticed most are using satin black. Well I went to my local lowes to purchase rustoleum satin black, but all they had was rustoleum satin black for outdoor furniture which is not in the professional series as the flat black was. With this in mind, I decided to get the flat black since it was professional series. My question to you guys is the outdoor furniture satin black just as good as the professional series? See pic.... I prefer to have satin if the paint is same quality as professional series. Thoughts...

A good coat of car wax might get you that Satin look since you've already gone with flat

I've painted a few. The flat black looks okay to start with and hides a lot of blemishes, but in about a year it looks worse than ever. The last one I used a semi-gloss with a automotive paint sprayer and it turned out awesome. Its a covered outdoor snack machine at a hotel and still looks good. Rustoleum is the brand thinned with mineral spirits.

I use the Rustoleum Professional spray paint.  I hate rolling the machines, they bubble easily, and they looked rolled.  It looks a lot more natural with spray paint.  After I do surface prep, I put on one coat of the Rustoleum white primer, then two coats of gloss black, and then a clear gloss coat on top.  I do that inside and out on the machines, and most of the parts inside.  I always put new trim on a machine, hate painting the old stuff with dints and the other two coats somebody already put on it.  Those 4 coats of Rustoleum Professional will give you a beautiful machine that looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. 

I use hand guns that hold the cans and then have a trigger on them to run the can.  Keeps your fingers from falling to sleep pressing that button constantly. 

WARNING!  If you use the spray paint, wait AT LEAST 48 hours between the black and clear coats, otherwise the paint will bubble bad.  I do it primer first, then a light coat of black, immediately after I put on the final coat of black, wait 48 hours, put on the clear coat.  That's the ticket, I've tried EVERYTHING else as far as paint that sticks to metal goes, and few that didn't, and all the application methods.  Rustoleum Professional spray on is by far the best.

I put 2 coats on the machine as of last weekend. 1st coat on last Friday and 2nd coat last Sunday. Machine is dry but not fully cured. I can touch the paint and you can see my fingerprint. I was hoping to place this machine on location on this upcoming Thursday but I am afraid paint want be fully cured.

I use the Rustoleum Professional spray paint.  I hate rolling the machines, they bubble easily, and they looked rolled.  It looks a lot more natural with spray paint.  After I do surface prep, I put on one coat of the Rustoleum white primer, then two coats of gloss black, and then a clear gloss coat on top.  I do that inside and out on the machines, and most of the parts inside.  I always put new trim on a machine, hate painting the old stuff with dints and the other two coats somebody already put on it.  Those 4 coats of Rustoleum Professional will give you a beautiful machine that looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. 

Hi Alden, have you ever used the Rust-Oleum  2X Ultra Cover instead of the Professional Range? The reason I ask is because we don't have the Professional Range available here.

How many cans do you use when painting a machine & what is your overall cost involved on completion?

P.S - nice work with the online store on your website  :rolleyes:

Hi Alden, have you ever used the Rust-Oleum  2X Ultra Cover instead of the Professional Range? The reason I ask is because we don't have the Professional Range available here.

How many cans do you use when painting a machine & what is your overall cost involved on completion?

P.S - nice work with the online store on your website  :rolleyes:

It depends on if I'm painting a snack or soda machine.  I would say on average, after painting all the parts on the inside, I use about 10 cans on a soda machine, and up to 20 cans max on a snack machine.  At the price I pay, I average between $50-$100 per machine in paint.  That is an inside and out job, including the racks on the soda machines, trays on snack machines, and a host of other parts.

I used the 2X coverage paint, and I didn't find that it held much more paint.  The Professional series are taller, and hold far more paint.  Try buying them online.  If you buy a lot at once, the price won't be bad at all even if you have to pay shipping.

Try buying them online.  If you buy a lot at once, the price won't be bad at all even if you have to pay shipping.

Thanks.... it will probably cost me more for the shipping than for the paint but I will look into it.

Not sure about the rules/regulations regarding importing aerosol cans here either but I will look into this also.

Cheers

Kiwi

That's right, you're in Australia if I remember right.  Well then it might not be worth it, unless you could order them from a company that stocks them down there.  If Rustoleum doesn't sell the Professional series at all in Australia, then you might be out of luck, unless you can get reasonable shipping.

Archived