Dixie Narco 501E and 276E , how to dispense 16oz monster energy drinks?

kram151

I vend 16 OZ Monster from a 276E, I haven't had any problems AZVendor's suggestions are spot on. I sell Monster for $2.50/can, I have found Sam's Club has the best price at around $1.25/can.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

AZ:  Just wondering why are you using bottle shims when they are the same size as regular cans?

Also why is it set on #3 which I believe is the same setting for regular cans if you are only vending 2 deep rather than 3?

The bottle shim is used with Monster cans because the length of the 16oz can needs the longer lip on the bottom edge of the shim to hold the second can in place after the front vends.  If you used a can shim the lip wound not be long enough to keep the rear can from tipping and falling off the lip.  The rod and spring inserted in the rotor is to space the can away from the bottom curve of the rotor so it vends quick enough to not get caught as the rotor rotates to refill. 

The setting on the cam at #3 does not refer to the number of notches in the edge of the cam.  It is simply one of three possible settings giving two notches on the edge of the cam.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm loving this forum more and more. I try to figure things out on my own first because that's how one learns but this is becoming my "go to" place for information if I don't have a manual of some type. Thanks AZ for all your help. You've helped me in the past couple of weeks since I found this site more than you know.

• 1 year later...

Forgive me for being a naive but I only have one vending machine in my shop for the employees so I am a greenhorn when it comes to terminology. I see in AZVendors response that I need a few shims for the wide column to vend Monster 16 oz cans so I did some research. This is where I am confused... I find shims for the 501e for sale and they seem like they fit on the sides of the column. I was OK with that until I did further research and found that Seaga calls shims something that stops the bottle from falling out during/after rotation. What shims do I need and are they the bottom ones that are bent steel or are they the flat plastic grids that seem like they fit in the column? FYI, I am converting a slot where I was vending Mountain Dew Kickstart cans that were vending fine??? The only thing that seems to be lacking is the bottom row of cans can slide behind the rear adjustable plate that doesn't seem to go low enough. Maybe I can lower this in another set of holes?? Thanks for your responses and have a Great Day!

Jfgold, what kind of machine are you using? If you have a Dixie narco, there are different shims for the 2 different columns. The plastic grid type are used for the wide columns only while the metal ones are used for the narrow columns only.

I must say, AZVendor is very knowledgeable , quick, and helpful.Since joining i have learned so much just reading his post to issues.

I am a vendor by heart, learned from some of the pioneers, but AZVendor has awoken my  desire to learn and share .This is a brotherhood and sisterhood i am honored to be a part of,and hope to always respect and represent well.

• Like 1

Forgive me for being a naive but I only have one vending machine in my shop for the employees so I am a greenhorn when it comes to terminology. I see in AZVendors response that I need a few shims for the wide column to vend Monster 16 oz cans so I did some research. This is where I am confused... I find shims for the 501e for sale and they seem like they fit on the sides of the column. I was OK with that until I did further research and found that Seaga calls shims something that stops the bottle from falling out during/after rotation. What shims do I need and are they the bottom ones that are bent steel or are they the flat plastic grids that seem like they fit in the column? FYI, I am converting a slot where I was vending Mountain Dew Kickstart cans that were vending fine??? The only thing that seems to be lacking is the bottom row of cans can slide behind the rear adjustable plate that doesn't seem to go low enough. Maybe I can lower this in another set of holes?? Thanks for your responses and have a Great Day!

As Quickvend said, the plastic shims go in the wide column, and metal shims go in the narrow columns.  The rear spacer is fine at it's normal height and there isn't a way to lower it.  The rear products are capable of sliding under that spacer but they don't do that on their own - it only happens if you push them back under it.  During normal vending the products will drop into the rotor or oscillator bar and stay forward.  Email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom if you need shims.

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, Snickers said:

So now we are saying to use the can shim instead of the bottle?

I've been using a can shim to vend 16oz Monsters on a few DN501E since February with no issues at all. 

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping to change out a 20 oz. Powerade for a 16 oz Rock Star tomorrow in a 276E.  I believe it has the brown cam.  Will I have to adjust for this change?   Also, do I need to power down the machine to make the change?

You need a can shim and cam should have 2 notches showing if you're going to go 2-deep. No need to power down since you won't be working with electrical components.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I see how the shim fits in but I could not get the old one out.  It appears I need to rotate the rotor so I can do the switch over.  The new one is wider than the old.  Anyway, it is Christmas Eve and I didn't want to make things worse so I will defer to next week.

Can I rotate the rotor to switch the shims?  Do I need to be concerned with rototing it back to where it was?  Any help would be appreciated.

Set the motor cam to three notches and then vend it until the rotor stops in a position to remove the shim.  Sometimes you have to pull it out while the rotor is moving so a large enough gap opens up.  You can also note the position of the rotor, remove the motor, turn the rotor to wherever you want to change shims then put the motor back on with the rotor in it's same position as before you removed the motor.  This is the long way.  I always just let the motor turn and pull the shim out when I can.

• 3 weeks later...

The customer is reporting that the machine is alternating between not vending a can then vending double.  I haven't been to the machine yet but any ideas on what I should look for?

There is more than one two-deep setting on the brown cams.  Try another one until you get it to vend properly.  If you don't have the rods in the rotor then that will cause a dry vend.  The rods hold small diameter products closer to the rotor edge so they fall when they're supposed to.  You also have to have the rod in the middle holes of the rotor front and back.

I was vending 20 oz. bottle two-deep and now the 16.9 two-deep so I didn't change the cam but I will double-check it. How about the spacing of the spacer, the one that moves forward and backward.  The guy who sold me the parts told me it should be 1/2 inch gap between it and the cans.  Will that affect anything?

With the cans pushed against the rear spacer you should just be able to get a finger in between the front can and the depressed sold out paddle.  Adjust to get that spacing.  Leaving the 20 oz cam timing means you need to adjust it to another 2 deep setting.

8 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

There is more than one two-deep setting on the brown cams.  Try another one until you get it to vend properly.  If you don't have the rods in the rotor then that will cause a dry vend.  The rods hold small diameter products closer to the rotor edge so they fall when they're supposed to.  You also have to have the rod in the middle holes of the rotor front and back.

I do have the rod and I put it in the middle holes.  I did have a problem with it staying in the holes when I first tested it until I adjusted the little spring on the end to hold in place.  I'll check it to make sure it is still in there.   And I'll try the other two-deep setting as well.  Thanks.