the kind of service call I love

I got a call at 3pm today. My DN 501T was not taking any money. I told them I would be there Saturday but got there at 4:30 today instead.

I get there and the USA 15 or whatever it's called is giving some credit/empty error. I didn't know what that meant At the time. It has a coinco coin mech which I rarely have any of and i'm thinking... don't be dead... I don't have a spare. So I use the super secret high tech vending trick--unplug it ans plug it back in! Viola!

Now the validator reads normal flashes so I put money in the machine and get change back. Yes! Coin mech works! Hit a selection and poof... it's not working anymore. Great...

I figured something odd was going on and I mean... my trick didn't work! I look under the rotors and there it is... a jammed can. Downstack the column, push the can down (after unplugging), restack, put money in, it works! Problem solved.

Time used: 5 minutes.

If this was a narrow column you should check the leading edge of the rotor compared to the right column wall to see if the rotor is bent. If it is you will continue to get jams.

It was the wide column.  As a matter of fact, the other wide column is currently empty because it was vending double, single, no vend, double, single, no vend, double, single, etc... I think this service call could have been prevented.  I remember loading the soda last week and seeing the stack shift downward.  I don't know why, but I didn't think much of it.  I figured my stack had simply shifted for some reason (I like to load my columns so that all 3 cans are leaning to one side or the other).  I let it go figuring it would all vend out anyway.  That exact same selection is the one that was jammed (again, wide column... selection #1)

The T model stacks will shift down at certain positions if the cans can fit down next to the high side of the oscillator bar.  This is why sometimes you will see an uneven stack in a wide column.  This is normal operation.  Your jammed can could be due to a bent anti-theft triangle hanging from the upper bar.  Check for any imperfect edges - the two ends of the triangle must meet squarely with no gaps.  If one is not perfect then remove it permanently as they are impossible to straighten and will jam or cut cans if imperfect.

Your odd vending of two, one, none and repeat (are you sure it wasn't two, none, then one, one, repeat?) is likely due to incorrect shimming in the column, the motor cam set wrong or a gearbox that has jumped a gear tooth or two.

I'm not sure on the exact pattern. It did vend three cans for every three payments though, so I believe the cam is correct. In fact, they told me it had just started doing it when they called about it last year. They were getting ready to shut down for winter so I just moved the mountain dew to an unused selection.

That triangle is definitely bent and it looked as if someone tried to straighten it. I figured it could affect the vend but I didn't think it could cause a jam.

I'm leaning toward the gearbox issue as I never changed any shims or cams on this machine and it seemed to work fine prior to that.

Archived