Spring Cleaning Time!

I think it's time for me to start really checking the volume per machine at several locations.  If they don't make enough money, clean that machine up and find it a new home!

Do any of you guys periodically do this or do you just play it by ear?

I think it's time for me to start really checking the volume per machine at several locations.  If they don't make enough money, clean that machine up and find it a new home!

Same thing I did a couple of springs ago - Your time is your most valuable asset in the long run, don;t waste it on bottom feeder accounts

That is what I'm debating right now, only bad thing about it is I could lose my profitable machine shop!

It sucks to have one good account and his other account is starting to suck!

:(

That is what I'm debating right now, only bad thing about it is I could lose my profitable machine shop!

That's often the case you get a good account but also have to service the dog of a satellite location. Unfortunately odds are pretty good that if you pull equipment out of the bad location and another vendor comes along and offers to service it if he gets the big one to go with it then you are out the door on the good location too.

I have used that exact tactic myself a number of times quite successfully.

Under these circumstances, I look at a package-deal as one account.  Add up the value of those assets and figure out how much profit you actually make.  Factor in fuel costs (if one account is way out of the way) and any other costs that you have to incur just to service the accounts.  If the account is nice and profitable even with only one good account and one bad account, then you should keep the account.  If the account is not profitable as a whole OR it just breaks even, I would approach the owner/person-in-charge and tell them that the other location is not profitable.

I would imagine that the two accounts, when considered together, are worth keeping (since the one is so good) so you are probably better off just leaving it alone.  

Its not just spring cleaning, you need to monitor the sales at all of your accounts all the time. I look at my 10 lowest sales location every month and think about what reason there is to keep them..... some are satellite dogs like cajun mentioned. My consistent lowest performer has a small USI CD6 and I give them a basket of chips and candy every month for free, it regularily does less then 20 a month so I'm losing money there, BUT biting the bullet on this one got me 2 locations that average 600-800 a week because the guy in there would not do it.

That's often the case you get a good account but also have to service the dog of a satellite location. Unfortunately odds are pretty good that if you pull equipment out of the bad location and another vendor comes along and offers to service it if he gets the big one to go with it then you are out the door on the good location too.

I have used that exact tactic myself a number of times quite successfully.

The wife of machine shop owner manages the second place and I tell her as long as they don't shut down I will keep my machines there!

The original person who started the operation had a lot more customers in and out of door, since he left it dropped way down! I guess I will just bite my tongue and be nice to them!

Tire and mechanic shop. 

Its not just spring cleaning, you need to monitor the sales at all of your accounts all the time. I look at my 10 lowest sales location every month and think about what reason there is to keep them..... some are satellite dogs like cajun mentioned. My consistent lowest performer has a small USI CD6 and I give them a basket of chips and candy every month for free, it regularily does less then 20 a month so I'm losing money there, BUT biting the bullet on this one got me 2 locations that average 600-800 a week because the guy in there would not do it.

I would keep it too!

Sometimes you can make those satellites work for you. My top account comes with a satellite location that is extremely inconvenient. However, through much trial and error and some luck, I am able to take an old DN 368 that I'm cleaning up and get in there to replace the crappy combo that came with the locale. I know what works there and losing the snacks is not a loss. I will be able to have a near empty machine every 3 weeks due to knowing what exactly sells there now.

The best part is they are very happy to be getting that old 368 and I am happy that I will now be getting a decent return for this trip.

ST

Archived