Single Price DN 440 Validator Problem

Hi All

I have a Dixie Narco 440 single price machine.  It has a Mars TRC-6800H coin mech and I just installed a Coinco BA30B with the correct harness.  However once I get the coin tubes filled to the point the correct change light kicks out, the light goes dim and not out completely.  Now when it does this the validator light comes on and becomes active but won't accept any bills.  It will pull them in but returns it immediately.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do to get it to function correctly?

First of all, I would recommend filling the tubes a little more just because.. when you put a few bills in, you will be too low.

That aside, if it has never taken any bills, you should check a couple things.

Make absolutely certain that you have the right harness.  It should be a harness from a BA30B to a TRC 6800H.  I am assuming that this is correct because you stated that already.  Other than the harness, you should check to make sure that the switches on the validator are set correctly.  I don't know what those settings should be (of if they even need to be set) but I will post if I find out.

I have seen validators take bills and not register credit on Mars validators, but that's because the harness wasn't connected (whoops!).

I am really thinking that either your bill acceptor has a problem, the harness isn't connected properly (or is not the correct one, which I doubt), or the switches aren't set correctly.

I did a little quick research and the only setting that I could found that mattered is switch #3 and it needs to be ON.  I think most validators are setup to work fine with single-price machine with little-or-no switches to be set.  It's different on machine with boards (such as older snack machines) but this might help.

Try to test your coin mech by putting different quantities of change in the machine to make sure it COUNTS & it GIVES CORRECT CHANGE.  If your coin mech isn't working, your validator won't work.  However, to my knowledge, your validator shouldn't even try to take a bill if the coin mech isn't working.  Still test it.  Also, you may want to set your coin mech for something like 75 cents and 70 cents so that you can easily test the coin mech and validator without quickly draining your coin mech.  I usually set my coin mechs up for 25 cents when I want to test the coin mech and 75 cents when I want to test the validator.  I do this because I only have to change a few switches and I don't drain the coin mech nor do I need a ton of coins.

By the way, make sure your coin mech is set for the right price.  It probably is, but I messed up one time after I bought a coin mech and all of the switches were on.

Your problem description leads me to two conclusions: your validator has a problem if it's rejecting bills (is it a rebuilt unit?) and you may also have a stray ground preventing your correct hange from going out completely.

Unplug the validator's T-blocker harness from the coin mech credit line and the machine socket. Plug only the coin mech in and see if the corr chg light changes. If it now goes out you could have a bad harness, coin mech or validator. Plug the harness into the machine only and the the coin mech. Does the corr chg light change? Then plug the harness into the validator and check the light again. Then plug the harness into the coin mech credit line and check the light. This should tell you if it's the harness, validator or coin mech that causes the problem.

Send me a PM if you need any parts to repair either problem.

Everything it set and everything "works" but it doesn't work.  All the setting switches are correct best I can tell.

It works fine with just the coin mech.  Light goes out fully when the change levels are met.  Also all of the harness wires are connected for the validator, I tested all of them individually from both ends to make sure power was flowing.

At this point I have tested it with both a BA30B and a MAG50 and get the same results.  However once I unplug the validator the light goes out from its dim display. 

Found the problem.  Somebody had apparently tried to fix some broken wires inside the T-connector and didn't put it back together properly.  Found that the #5 Inhibit and #6 Enable wires were backwards.  Swapped them around and back in action.

Wiring diagram in the BA30 manual is golden ;)

Found the problem.  Somebody had apparently tried to fix some broken wires inside the T-connector and didn't put it back together properly.  Found that the #5 Inhibit and #6 Enable wires were backwards.  Swapped them around and back in action.

Wiring diagram in the BA30 manual is golden ;)

This is what prevents me from buying any more Coinco BA series.  

Exactly!, coinco BA series validators suck. When they were new they worked pretty good but once they've been in use 3 or 4 years forget it. You just cant beat the mars 2000 series & above.

Exactly!, coinco BA series validators suck. When they were new they worked pretty good but once they've been in use 3 or 4 years forget it. You just cant beat the mars 2000 series & above.

I have had several coinco BA series validators that have worked for years without issues but, due to their design, they are more prone to jams and user-error if a rookie pulls the bills out without making sure the spring-loaded plastic piece isn't set properly within the bill box.  The bigger thing is that I don't like having to mount the control box nor do I like to deal with a wiring problem.  Mars don't seem to have any of these problems and they seem to last longer when rebuilt.

Archived