It doesn't make sense: cold beverages in cans have much larger market share than cups , why?

I'm a little confused.. if you are comparing fountain drinks to canned drinks, those are two different animals.

Fountain drinks should be consumed the same day that they are dispensed.

Canned soda (non diet) lasts for 10 months if unopened.

When you consider this, you can ONLY consume a fountain drink that was dispensed from a fountain machine, and you had to have gotten that drink within the same day.  So... you need to be somewhat near a fountain machine.

In contrast, you can consume a canned drink any place, any time, anywhere you want as long as you have one near you (which could be sitting right next to you, in the fridge, or in a vending machine).

Cans are far more convenient for people at work/home.

If you're asking about cup soda vending machines, they fell out of favor with vendors several years ago. It's too bad, really, as they had the best profit margin of any vending product aside from coffee machines. I ran several cup soda machines and loved them. The drawbacks were keeping them clean (no worse than a coffee machine), limited flavors and maintenance of the ice makers. I think the real demise was brought on by the popularity of can soda, and later, bottle soda popularity. I think Crane still will build them on request. The new ones did away with the poured-in postmix syrup tanks and now use the BIB (bag-in-box) syrups.

Archived