Still worth getting involved in bulk?

Dreaded13

I don't do bulk but I read a lot of bulk threads..... :) My assessment is that if you want to do this full time then toys, stickers, racks and cranes are a absolute necessity to survive long term.

If this is going to be more of a sideline source of income then going primarily candy, IF DONE CORRECTLY, can work for you. That means buying good used equipment, keeping your locations close together and moving to .50 cent vends when and where appropriate.

Well said (even for a full-line guy)  ^-^

IMHO, a candy-only route will achieve at best a part time income.  So if the goal is for a side or supplemental income (or simply extra beer money) then candy-only route can usually achieve that.  The margin AND volume is simply not there for bulk candy.  The only candy I now vend is Runts and I am very happy with that.  And I have blocked my ears of the SEIRENES' song of Peanut M&M's - and it is a wonderful feeling!

Having said that, a double head with Runts and Gumballs can be very profitable and would make for a nice setup for charity vending.

(Google SEIRENES if not familiar with Greek mythology)

Well said (even for a full-line guy)  ^-^

IMHO, a candy-only route will achieve at best a part time income.  So if the goal is for a side or supplemental income (or simply extra beer money) then candy-only route can usually achieve that.  The margin AND volume is simply not there for bulk candy.  The only candy I now vend is Runts and I am very happy with that.  And I have blocked my ears of the SEIRENES' song of Peanut M&M's - and it is a wonderful feeling!

Having said that, a double head with Runts and Gumballs can be very profitable and would make for a nice setup for charity vending.

(Google SEIRENES if not familiar with Greek mythology)

Again, not true.  I regularly talk with a guy that has a route of several hundred vendstars and a few racks - all candy - full time income.  

Now is that the long-term goal for him?  No.  

Is he in the process of converting busier locations to racks and transitioning to toys?  Yes.

But this mentality that candy full-time cannot be done is absolutely false.  The thing is, there's an easier way so most don't do it.  

It's kinda like the old NFL lament, "Where are all of the good tight ends at?"..."The NBA".  Can candy be full-time?  Yes.  Is there an easier. more profitable way?  Yes.

Personally, I like hearing the one sided views of each of you. Then I can discern which way to expand. Before I got into a bad business deal I was moving into racks, but modified for Uturns and stickers. It was going well. But, life happened and now I'm trying to get all of them back out again. I'm only at about 30 locations, not from lack of ability for locations, but for lack of income. I still have some restaurants and so on. 

I hear people saying toys only, and not candy. i'm assuming it's because of cost?:huh: From what I've seen on prices, not including super balls, it's all about 20-30% product cost. Or am I missing something? I know flat is cheaper. That's still at .50 a vend (currently looking for a high quality flat to sell at .75)

So if you buy from a broker for candy, you product cost is about the same. Isn't it?

That's why most full time pros only do toys and cranes / redemption with only gum and maybe sugar based candy as thier only candy

Also, good machines like oak, eagle, northwestern, aa global, beaver can be converted to toys with 3 simple part changes

I would stay away from newer eagle cabinet machines they have plastic lids and crack easy.

Personally, I like hearing the one sided views of each of you. Then I can discern which way to expand. Before I got into a bad business deal I was moving into racks, but modified for Uturns and stickers. It was going well. But, life happened and now I'm trying to get all of them back out again. I'm only at about 30 locations, not from lack of ability for locations, but for lack of income. I still have some restaurants and so on.

I hear people saying toys only, and not candy. i'm assuming it's because of cost?:huh: From what I've seen on prices, not including super balls, it's all about 20-30% product cost. Or am I missing something? I know flat is cheaper. That's still at .50 a vend (currently looking for a high quality flat to sell at .75)

So if you buy from a broker for candy, you product cost is about the same. Isn't it?

Candy has a short shelf life. Toys in general sale better than candy. That is why professionals are steering you clear of candy. Also one inch toys should be vended at .50. Don't get me wrong I still vend candy (runts and Skittles) it's just not that profitable in comparison to the other options.

realistically, I doubt that in 10, 15 or even 20 years that machines will become obsolete. We may have to upgrade, but that's about it. I mean, eventually gumballs will sell for .50 for the common, but that is pretty far down the road. 

I already have a location selling gumballs at 50 cents and they do well. You can't sell a cheap Dubble Bubble gumball at this price, but I've had good results selling Nerds gumballs at 50 cents in one location. I might try it in another location and see how it goes.

Archived