Royal vendors machine taking dollar bills and not dispensing product

Hi, I'm new to vending and bought a machine to put at my buddys shop. He just called and said the machine is taking dollars, returning a quarter (drinks are .75), and will not dispense a drink. The coin mech will not accept any change and returns any that is tried. The machine was working fine before this. Has a refurbished coin mech and dollar bill validator I purchased off ebay. What could be causing this problem? Tried using the search feature and the only similar problems I found were machines not accepting ANY money, But none that accepted dollars and not any coins and did not dispense a drink. It is an older Royal Vendors machine with can drinks. Thanks in advance for any help.

If this is repeatable, with the machine continuing to take bills and pay change without vending, it sounds like it's a single price machine with no credit display. If you have a credit display then the machine has a logic board and and is multiprice.

If it's single price then your issue could be a bad coin mech, a bad credit relay (doubtful) or a motor switch issue.

If it's a multiprice then you could have a bad or mis-adjusted drop sensor, a bad board or a blown fuse. The fuse holder is right below where the coin mech plugs into the machine. Push in and up to open the fuseholder and inspect the fuse that is closest to the front of the door. There may be a second fuse but it's a spare. If your fuse is blown and there is a spare, you're in luck. If the fjse isn't blown then you next need to adjust the drop sensor. You'll need to post your model number an preferrably the version of your logic board for additional help.

I will get the model number Monday, I know that's pretty bad that I don't even know the model number but I'm very new to all this. I do know that it has a coinco ba30b validator and a trc-6800 coin mech if that helps any.

Since it has a TRC6800 coin mech means this is a single price machine.  Royal's first machines were single price and they produced a few different models in varying sizes.  Since yours is a single price what you need to do first is to test the machine yourself to see exactly what the symptoms are. 

Does it repeatedly take dollars without vending?

Does it give change with every dollar accepted? 

Does it reject all coins and not take dollars now?

You might have gummed up switches on one of your motors, a jammed column that is not in the home position (home position is the front switch plunger exposed in a groove of the white motor cam), a bad coin mech not sending the credit pulse to the relay, a bad relay not holding the credit or a loose connection somewhere.

Alright, I just went and checked it out. Apparently, the machine is taking dollars (not giving a quarter back) and it will not accept quarters, but it WILL accept dimes and nickels and vend a drink like normal. When it takes the dollar, It does not give a credit and does not give the dollar back. I'm lost on this one. Someone please help me out! also, I replaced the coin mech with a BRAND NEW trc-6800 that I got off ebay and its doing the same thing as the other one. The only difference is the other one would not dispense coins using the manual buttons on the back of it and this new one will.

The TRC6800 mechs have not been produced for several years so you would not have gotten a new one. It would have been used and is not tuned properly or it would not be rejecting coins. Your dollar acceptance problem will either be a bad harness connection, a bad harness, bad coin mech or bad validator. Your only recourse is to try replacing those items one by one to determine which one it is.

The TRC6800 was NEW IN BOX from 1994!! still wrapped in plastic and had NO signs of use. The other coin mech, that was doing the same thing, was a refurbished one, also from ebay. What you are saying is that the new one is not tuned properly to accept quarters? How would I tune this mech?

UPDATE: I exchanged the coin mech with another one I had and the machine is now working. Now I just need to figure out why these other 2 aren't working and how to fix them. The brand new one takes dimes and nickels but not quarters. The refurbed one will not take anything.

Archived