Has anyone tried advertisements to get locations?

I put an ad on Craigslist once just to see what would happen. I got one response from a bar that was far out of my way in a rural area that would not have been worth the trouble to drive out there and service a machine. I turned that one down.

Heck, I've tried advertisements to BUY locations and it hasn't worked.  

I think it's because, like Makes Cents says, any business owner searching keyword "vending" is looking to buy equipment.  Any other location worth having has already been approached (and currently HAS or doesn't want) vending.  And the only way you're kicking out a current vendor is face-2-face with the decision maker.  

• 5 months later...

What about flyer type advertisement?  Like an ad at the post office bulletin board?  Or something like that, where it's thrown in potential location owners' faces, rather than waiting for them actively searching "vending" and like Rick says, in that case they're likely looking to buy their own machines.

If you have a website (even a two page go daddy type) you can set up a Adwords campaign by zip code.  Although If you have competitors in your area they may will click you to death. And be sure one of your pages is a contact form (jot form).  

Also you can run a ad in your local business journal.  Here is one we use with success:

http://www.ocbj.com/advertise/

If you aren't sure about your area just google "Business Journal ----------------" type in your city.

Archived