USI ARRRGH!

Afternoon everybody:

The  USI 3053, I have decided to go crazy on me today after moving it from storage to the bar room in Lydia,LA.

Before I brought it I tested all the trays and everything worked just fine, even the DBA i got from AZ.

Get to the bar unloaded machine brought it inside, moved my empty smaller CS-12 AP off to the side.

Moved USI into place, started loading spirals top row first, decided to test top tray with product, pulled out door switch for test mode and press 6 for vend selection press A-3 nothing, just A no 3, repeated same except I press A-4 it worked. Started checking connections for all the trays, everything is plugged in.

All the odd number buttons don't work, but the evens numbers do.

Took out all the trays, checked all motors, making sure all wires was plugged. 

Installed all trays back in machine making sure the plugs was in correctly.

Put machine back in test mode, nothing! no letters, no numbers on display!

close door, put dollar in DBA display showed $, press buttons nothing, don't matter which button I press, nothing on display but the $. 

Yes the cable is plugged for the button selection, work fine at home!

Could it be the board behind buttons for selections?

Cajun

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Frustrating for sure! Could be a pin pushed out on the A try harness or broken wire within the harness. If you test vend the entire machine will all the odd motors operate? If so then try pricing the odd motors and see if the keypad is recognizing the odd numbers. If it isn't then you have a bad keypad. If it is then bad board...

I hate USIs.... They are plagued with these kind of problems.  I almost always find any type of problems with USIs not related to the bill acceptor or coin changer to come down to the control board or a broken/cut or loose harness.  USI's control boards are often cheaply made, and their harnesses are not only cheap, but their routing is badly engineered, and they are constantly getting caught or cut by other pieces of the machine, especially during moving.

Your problem sounds very much like a broken harness somewhere, most likely on the main tray harness, not the individual tray harnesses.  Check that harness really well.  It defies all logic for there to be a problem with every tray, so we can rule that out.  If that main harness, and all of it's sockets look okay, then I'd say its the control board.  I don't see it being very likely that its the keypad.  Keypads dies over time, usually not suddenly, unless you cut the membrane badly somewhere, but you could see that. 

On this vintage USI machines I often find lots of bad solder connections on the logic board often the back of the keypad and display connectors.

If you know someone that is good with a soldering iron it is a quick fix.

Walta

LOL I had my daughter helping me clean up some snack vendors. Trays are the worst. I started her on ap and showed her how to pop the coils off things went good until I gave her a USI. She popped all the coils off the same way. :o  :o  :o 

What a mess...... 

LOL I had my daughter helping me clean up some snack vendors. Trays are the worst. I started her on ap and showed her how to pop the coils off things went good until I gave her a USI. She popped all the coils off the same way. :o  :o  :o

What a mess...... 

You're lucky she didn't cut her arm off on the USI's

Afternoon everybody:

The  USI 3053, I have decided to go crazy on me today after moving it from storage to the bar room in Lydia,LA.

Before I brought it I tested all the trays and everything worked just fine, even the DBA i got from AZ.

Get to the bar unloaded machine brought it inside, moved my empty smaller CS-12 AP off to the side.

Moved USI into place, started loading spirals top row first, decided to test top tray with product, pulled out door switch for test mode and press 6 for vend selection press A-3 nothing, just A no 3, repeated same except I press A-4 it worked. Started checking connections for all the trays, everything is plugged in.

All the odd number buttons don't work, but the evens numbers do.

Took out all the trays, checked all motors, making sure all wires was plugged. 

Installed all trays back in machine making sure the plugs was in correctly.

Put machine back in test mode, nothing! no letters, no numbers on display!

close door, put dollar in DBA display showed $, press buttons nothing, don't matter which button I press, nothing on display but the $. 

Yes the cable is plugged for the button selection, work fine at home!

Could it be the board behind buttons for selections?

Cajun

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Send it to Kiwi - he likes those machines

Send it to Kiwi - he likes those machines

Even I would pass on a USI3503 mate.. they are a bit old for my liking! 

I wouldn't send it off the dump though.. the only thing that deserves to go to the dump is that cheap s**t in your fridge that you call beer!!!  ;D

Even I would pass on a USI3503 mate.. they are a bit old for my liking! 

I wouldn't send it off the dump though.. the only thing that deserves to go to the dump is that cheap s**t in your fridge that you call beer!!!  ;D

This from the man from the Long White Fog where men are men and sheep are wary  ;D  ;D  ;D

This from the man from the Long White Fog where men are men and sheep are wary  ;D  ;D  ;D

I think you mite have confused NZ with OZ mate.. ;D  We're not sheep shaggers!! We leave that to those fella's on the other side of the ditch.. ;D  

I think you mite have confused NZ with OZ mate.. ;D  We're not sheep shaggers!! We leave that to those fella's on the other side of the ditch.. ;D  

Uh oh, here we go again.  I figure Reel should be along any minute now - if I were you I'd duck  ;D

Uh oh, here we go again.  I figure Reel should be along any minute now - if I were you I'd duck  ;D

How did my thread go from a USI to holding a sheep hostage and what flavor of beer is better?

icon_pidu.gif icon_pidu.gif icon_pidu.gif

Flat cable going into keypad is bad.

After taken keypad off and holding cable a certain way it would work.

I already text-ed AZ for a new keypad.

cajun

How did my thread go from a USI to holding a sheep hostage and what flavor of beer is better?

I will take the blame for the beer comments!  As for the sheep.. that was all moondogs doing!! I think he secretly wishes that they had  sheep in LA!!!

Flat cable going into keypad is bad.

After taken keypad off and holding cable a certain way it would work.

I already text-ed AZ for a new keypad.

cajun

Ooooh - talk about the pot calling the kettle black  ;D  ;D  ;D

...............and why the hell are you replacing the membrane if the ribbon cable is shot?

I was able to sneak that in on two of you!  ;D  ;D

The keypad and flat cable is all made together. At least to me it is a cable.

Did not take picture of it, and I take pictures of everything.

Picture of keypad.

th_017-1.jpg

Picture of flat cable I'm talking about.

This is off a AP keypay.  cable or membrane?

th_018-2.jpg

Afternoon everybody:

When you tested the machine & everything worked did you have the DBA intalled at the time?

I have had this happen to me before when there were no spacers to hold the BA off the keypad membrane harness.

When you tested the machine & everything worked did you have the DBA intalled at the time?

I have had this happen to me before when there were no spacers to hold the BA off the keypad membrane harness.

Hey Kiwi

I did take the keypad off to clean the buttons, from the previous owner, lot of crude between buttons and plate where they install in square holes.

Maybe I did the damage to ribbon running to keypad and didn't notice it.

No mater it has to be replaced for machine to work, I left it at bar room.

I didn't feel like dragging that heavy golpher back home.

cajun

Unless you can see damage to the cable I still think you have bad solder connections where connector plugs on to the board.

Walta  

Use masking tape on those buttons so when you remove the bezel you don't go button chasing......   :o  :o  :o

That key pad membrane looks bad.... USI keypads aren't the best. Before removing it connect the new one and see if that is the problem. Walta might be right about a cold solder joint on the board...

My money is in the keypad 

• 2 weeks later...

Cajun, you must expect problems when you have old machines like the 3035 plus some machines just hate being moved, personally I think the current usi machines in particular the new vt5000 combo is a fantastic machine.

ARRRGHHHHHH ........sounds like yet another poor sheep being left wanting by eager sheep shagger Little Kiwi !!!!!!!!!!.

ARRRGHHHHHH ........sounds like yet another poor sheep being left wanting by eager sheep shagger Little Kiwi !!!!!!!!!!.

Welcome back mate... I missed all the kiwi bashing... but as for the "Little Kiwi" remark... how did you know?

Has your wife been telling you stories about me again...  ;D

I would rather be called a sheep shagger than be known for what those aussies get up to while there taking a piss at a urinal... I think they call it "bubbling" but I don't know what you would get out of doing it.

Someone did say it taste a bit like Fosters though.. they would only do it in Australia mate & maybe certain parts of California!  ;D  ;D

Archived