Gumball/Candy Machine...best quality models/brands?

emt1581

Friday a vending machine guy at one of my jobs turned me on to the idea of getting into vending.  Yesterday I was pretty psyched and tearing up the net researching the business of vending.  Today I got the idea to ask the owner of my private practice (counseling specializing mostly in children's issues) if it would be ok to put a gumball/candy machine on one of the coffee tables or buy a stand model and put it in a corner.  Then I thought about asking the 2 pediatrition offices that refers clients to me if it'd be ok with them (same group of docs). 

I figured I'd tell them there would be ZERO peanut products inside due to allergies.  Plus I'd fill it/them with skittles or mike and ike's instead of gum balls because...well...I figured people can eat more than one servings of candy.  Gum is a buy-once kinda thing.  Plus kids and adults eat candy.  Not many 30+ adults smack away on gum balls that I've seen.  Personally I might average one every two years.

Originally I thought that a 2 head, 3 head or rotating 4 head would be the best but for classy offices I think a standard chrome/high-gloss red traditional machine would be the way to go.  Thoughts?

Rhino seems like a clean, eye-appealing, brand.  Not sure how their quality is.

I've seen old/dirty looking oak machines.  But other than Rhino are there any other brands to consider that might be better?  Is there an advantage/preference in regard to the shape of the storage (round, cylinder, square)?  Are the prices I linked to good or can they be had cheaper (new)?  Anything else to know/consider?

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

*post edited by moderators to remove possible spam.

Stay far away from Rhino!  They won't hold up.  Oak machines are great, but if you insist on something classy, then either go with Beaver with the round globe (around $100 each) or an A&A PM Elite which are less than Beavers.  Both models will practically last forever.  I'd start out with a double head and if it's really that good of a location, then possibly upgrade, but the location you've described doesn't sound too intriguing; so I'd stick with either a single or a double.

Well I shopped around and found a Round Beaver (no stand) new for $125 shipped from East Coast Vending (cheapest I found).  I will say the Beaver stands are pretty expensive compared to the other brands.  Do I HAVE to go with Beaver or are they all pretty much the same quality?  

However it's up to the places I'm asking whether I buy 1-3 of them or not.  If I get three no's, I might do some cold calling but I figured these places are places that are decently busy, with lots of kids sitting and staring at them, and I don't have tons of time to be on the phone or going door to door doing sales pitches.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Do I HAVE to go with Beaver or are they all pretty much the same quality?  

Have you taken a look at this thread:    BEGINNER'S GUIDE

Probably a good place to start.

Then afterward read several pages worth of threads under the Bulk Vending section...also very helpful.

I prefer Northwesterns. 80% of my machines are this simple model because they hold up. There's no weird tricks or anything extra you need to know to get them to work "just right" or anything, which is what I love. Ease of use. 

Good luck to you! And definitely check the beginner thread as recommended above. 

I recently got some used racks which overall looked good for the price. They are around 7-9 years old. Several  1 inch machines have paint issues where its blistering and bubbling up from underneath. I was surprised to see this on a reputable USA made machine. The machines vended toys and have been together for some time. It don't look like they vended salted nuts to have caused such damage.  The lids, bases, body, & hopper all had the problem. If the paint isn't going to last longer, why not just buy the cheaper knockoffs?

The review section has Great examples of why

Misvends mechs fall apart before your eyes

Also sun damage will do that to paint

By the way you can repaint these

The knockoffs are also plastic

Well I had an interesting experience today.  I was at one of our college campuses (and we're moving to a brand new campus next week).  So the vending guys came to pack up the snack/soda machines.

I started talking to them and at first they were sort of neutrally friendly....that is, the guy I was talking to gave me prices for everything, told me about his company being the largest in the state, country etc. 

Then ask I expressed my interest in giving it a shot it turned out to be the biggest pain with the lowest proffit margin and parts were more expensive than machines.  Ok...

So I changed the subject to how I was also thinking about gumball/candy machines.  Oh!! People knock them over and smash them, steal them, they aren't worth the hassle! 

While the guy might have been sharing his experience, it seemed like he was trying to discourage me from getting into the business.  When I sensed this I let him know that I was not from that area and lived 45min. away in a totally different region.  That didn't really change his presentation at all.

Plus the original guy I mentioned in my initial post....he hasn't returned any of my emails asking for details on certain areas of the business.

Is this how bulk vending is???  Vendors aren't sociable with each other even if there is plenty of places available and you aren't cutting in on their proffits?? 

I'm also a licensed counselor and we refer to other practices and they refer to us all the time!  No real sense of competition or any need to be offputting to anyone interested in the field. 

What gives??

Thanks!

-Emt1581

I'm still relatively new in this business but I will answer your question with my experiences thus far. I have met fellow operators in my area on this forum and through Craigslist and found them to be quite pleasant and thoroughly accommodating. I have also met vendors on the streets and that was not the case, many veteran vendors are aware of all the pitfalls in this business and the can be territorial, easily annoyed and somewhat off putting. I am speaking on generalities and I do not mean to offend anyone, but it does seem that the more seasoned vendors long for a different era of vending and are less happy with the current state of affairs. I hope that I am mostly wrong but that is my perception from my limited experience in my specific operating area. Lastly, while there are many ways to make a living vending each person has a strong opinion about the best route to success and is not willing to allow for a difference in opinion.

Archived