My first mint box

Try to stay with restraunts especially ones that use a lot garlic in their meals. Nail salons are hit and miss but usually do a little below avg. Stay away from places where young kids work at (no responsibility) and they will eat all your profits. I don't have any karate places mainly because of too many kids.

So here is the report for the 7 boxes we serviced today...

Nail salon - On location 7 days - 15% Items Removed - 17% Shrinkage  

Tae Kwon Do - On location 7 days - 14% Items Removed - 25% Over Amount Due

Chicken Restraunt - On location 6 days - 20% Items Removed - 11% Shrinkage

Salad Restraunt - On location 6 days - 34% Items Removed - 11% Shrinkage

Learning Center - On location 6 days - 67% Items Removed - 67% Shrinkage - Lost account on owner request

Karate Studio - On location 6 days - 13% Items Removed - 174% Over Amount Due - Lost account on owner request

Insurance Place - Left On Location - Owner said he "owed 4 bucks" and the box still looked mostly full.

So what does that come to in dollars?

I averaged a bit lower than I had originally hoped for, but nothing to be ashamed of. This can definitely turn out to be lucrative, and I think I can raise my net profit if I replace the bad performers. I plan to replace the slower ones after I get about 50 or 60 boxes out, then continue until I get about 100 or so out and replace some more bad performers. The long term goal I have set for now is 150 boxes out. I messaged you with specifics on my current average per location.

I averaged a bit lower than I had originally hoped for, but nothing to be ashamed of. This can definitely turn out to be lucrative, and I think I can raise my net profit if I replace the bad performers. I plan to replace the slower ones after I get about 50 or 60 boxes out, then continue until I get about 100 or so out and replace some more bad performers. The long term goal I have set for now is 150 boxes out. I messaged you with specifics on my current average per location.

This was the basic idea that I used when I started out with honor boxes. I like the strategy and still agree with it but I must caution you to be careful with how long you let a poor performing box stay in a location. Watch out for damaged boxes, theft, and melted mints. I learned the hard way that if a location starts off bad, it usually stays bad.

I dont always count "locations", but rather, I count "stops". If I have a good anchor location in a plaza then I am more forgiving to a low performer in the same plaza since it is still 1 "stop". If a location is off on its own, but it is along a route, I will keep it if it does $8 a month AS LONG as it doesnt have ANY of the negatives that I mentioned above.

This was the basic idea that I used when I started out with honor boxes. I like the strategy and still agree with it but I must caution you to be careful with how long you let a poor performing box stay in a location. Watch out for damaged boxes, theft, and melted mints. I learned the hard way that if a location starts off bad, it usually stays bad.

I dont always count "locations", but rather, I count "stops". If I have a good anchor location in a plaza then I am more forgiving to a low performer in the same plaza since it is still 1 "stop". If a location is off on its own, but it is along a route, I will keep it if it does $8 a month AS LONG as it doesnt have ANY of the negatives that I mentioned above.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the advice. I'll take all I can get. So far I have been lucky enough to have 15 locations in 2 different spots. I am sure this will change as I begin to lose some of them. I am trying to get these out as fast as possible so I can get some momentum going. The plan is to pull any as needed that cause me to lose money, or become not worth my time. I have a ton of shopping centers near by me. I will try all of them starting with the closest first until I place 150.

• 1 month later...

Today I made my first round with the Mint Honor boxes. I had planned on checking them after 2 weeks but we got busy at work and we are working 10 to 12 hours a day and Saturdays. Anyway I didn't get to run them until 3 weeks. I am kind of surprised at what I collected. Each box started out with 100 mints

Location 1, 62 mints in box, 38 sold, $12.00. Owner made them move it to office and for me to pick up.

Location 2, 0 mints in box, 100 sold, $31.17

Location 3, 4 mints in box, 96 sold, $24.26

Location 4, 0 mints in box, 100 sold, $27.35

Location 5, 61 mints in box, 39 sold, $14.64 , this box was over

Location 6, 0 mints in box, 100 sold, $25.91

How do you guys figure your shrinkage.

Looks like I need to run them every 2 weeks

Keep them all.  Those are good ones.  I assume you are 3/$1?   So in those that had 100 gone, just figure there should have been $33 in there. 10% of 33 is $3.30.   So, about $29.70 in sales would be 10% shrinkage

So, Location 2 is a winner.  Keep that one as long as you can.

Location 3 is about 28% or so.  Still a winner.

Location 4 is less than 20%.  A winner

Location 5.   Slow but the money is all there.  Winner, winner.

Location 6 is a little more than 20%.  Still a winner.

I'd take all those to the bank every 2 weeks.  Get more in between each of those.

Think about that.  I don;t know how far away each one is but let's say you have even 10 minutes of driving between each one.  That's  1 hour of driving.  You have 45 seconds for each walking in and switching out a new box.  You have about a minute in filling each new box.  You have about 2 minutes in counting each box's money.

Add it up and you have $135 in sales on $38.80 cost.  That's a $97 profit that took you an hour and a half max. 

Make your donation monthly or quarterly.  Roll the profits into more boxes and keep going.  And keep a smile on your face when you walk in and out of these places.

I will say that the new Sheridan acrylic boxes are not as good as the older "slanted top" ones.   I assume it was a cost issue - these new ones being less cost for them.

But the square shape means that a small block has to be glued to the inside so that the lock hits it.  I can see that block coming loose over time.  Also, the top cube glued to the bottom cube....just seems to be less solid.  As they wear, that top cube is going to pull apart from the bottom.  

We'll see how well they hold up but I wish those old ones would be available.

PS - One thing I do is make nice signs cut to the inside box dimensions.  Laminate them and stick the inside of the money area.  It shows the price, my company name, the charity, etc.  Plus it covers up that money area by about 70% so that it's just not so "out in the open" with all that cash sitting in there.

I ordered 32 of the new type Acrylic boxes and 2 of them came in with the top not connected to the bottom.

I build plastic injection molds for a living. I have thought about it, if I keep doing the boxes I could build a mold for not very much money. I have several mold bases in my garage from when I sold my business. I haven't asked about the cost to run the parts. I really do think I could bring down the cost and make a nicer box.

I don't have that expertise but yes I have thought about it as well.  I don't know if a one piece design is even possible but that would sure help.  Yeah I've had the latches break pretty quickly on two of the old versions.

One that includes a slot to put a sign would be nice too.  I just stick them to the inside but it would be real easy if it included a little slot to slide a sign in.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, york peppermint patties seem to be just as profitable as snack boxes but with far less work and time.  On the other hand, it seems like they get removed more often.

I have a question for all of you that sell the yorks.  Do people get tired of them?  The snack boxes seem to be able to stay on location for several years if you get good accounts but it seems like the patties wouldn't sell too well after a while.

If you are in a place where the employees are the primary consumers of the Yorks, then yes, they do get bored with them. Locations such as restaurants or anywhere else where customers (not staff) are the primary buyers, do not have the same level of fatigue.

I started doing some various candy mixes to combat this issue. Some locations requested it, while other locations leveled off to a point that Iwasnt fully satisfied with.

That being said, I am planning on expanding into full line snack boxes at some point. While I think that the profits will generally be the same as the mint boxes, I think that they will be more long term at each location.

I will say that the new Sheridan acrylic boxes are not as good as the older "slanted top" ones.   I assume it was a cost issue - these new ones being less cost for them.

But the square shape means that a small block has to be glued to the inside so that the lock hits it.  I can see that block coming loose over time.  Also, the top cube glued to the bottom cube....just seems to be less solid.  As they wear, that top cube is going to pull apart from the bottom.  

We'll see how well they hold up but I wish those old ones would be available.

PS - One thing I do is make nice signs cut to the inside box dimensions.  Laminate them and stick the inside of the money area.  It shows the price, my company name, the charity, etc.  Plus it covers up that money area by about 70% so that it's just not so "out in the open" with all that cash sitting in there.

Loach, when I first purchased my honor boxes from Sheridan they all had that little piece of acrylic to hold the lock in place. So far away they are holding up after 2+ yrs.

To you York vendors:   While running my toy/gum route I have noticed that all the restaurants I am in have their own York boxes.  The Yorks are in the original box and price is 15-25 cents.  The cashiers have verified these are the restaurants Yorks. 

I was hoping to place some boxes where I am already yet.  But these are commission stops and I don't see these owners giving up their boxes/money for charity especially to someone they already get a commission from.

Is restaurants having their own Yorks a common issue ran into when trying to place your own?

To you York vendors:   While running my toy/gum route I have noticed that all the restaurants I am in have their own York boxes.  The Yorks are in the original box and price is 15-25 cents.  The cashiers have verified these are the restaurants Yorks. 

I was hoping to place some boxes where I am already yet.  But these are commission stops and I don't see these owners giving up their boxes/money for charity especially to someone they already get a commission from.

Is restaurants having their own Yorks a common issue ran into when trying to place your own?

I have one location that use to sell the York's but when I came in to place my box, he gave up selling his York's to letting me sell mine. This location is my best location I have. It brings in about a $100 every 2 weeks.

I have one location that use to sell the York's but when I came in to place my box, he gave up selling his York's to letting me sell mine. This location is my best location I have. It brings in about a $100 every 2 weeks.

Impressive in all points!! 

Archived