Would you buy this machine?

vendor

I'm thinking about buying my first machine. The machine is a combo made by USI. I'm having trouble finding another used one for sale so I thought I'd ask the experts for advise. The person selling it says she paid $3000 new and is asking $1200. Is this a good machine or should I keep looking. I know a lot of people don't like combo machines because they have to be serviced more often but I will be putting it less than a mile from my house. Would you buy this machine and what would you pay if it's in good working condition? Thanks

machine2.jpg

machine1.jpg

manual1.jpg

Unless they bought these machines in the late 90's and have owed them since then, it's doubtful they bought them new.  They might have bought them refurbished but probably not new.  Not that that means anything and what they paid is of absolutely no consequence to anyone but them.  These are decent machines and will do a good job for you.  The soda machine is 12 oz cans only and the snack is a little persnickety about how products are loaded.  In other words things might hang up more easily than in an AP or National combo machine.  I would lowball them as the machines are at least 15 years old and there is probably repairs to be made to them.  You might find that the coin mech or bill validator need service, the compressor might be low on freon (have them plug it in 2 hours before you see it), there are stupid labels in the can displays and I would put money on it that both machines are filthy. 

After saying all of that, I'm not trying to scare you away from them but only want you to know what you might find when buying them.  Go for it; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

That is not worth $1200.  You are limited to cans only, and the capacity isn't very high.  Those machines are old.  If the seller DID buy them new, they bought them well over a decade ago.  I often doubt it when the seller tells me how much they paid "new" when the machine is pretty old.

Ahh, you beat me to it Randy!

If both vendors are clean especially the can vendor. No syrup in the evaporator area drip pan clean cools good. Wiring isn't hanging from the motors. Power harness and cords are not cut and frayed in the back. Cools good then $1200 isn't bad. Try talking them down a couple of hundred.

They are a good dependable vendors if kept clean. Syrup will destroy the switches and wiring connectors. The acid will eat them up. Clean all spills. As for the compressors they are like any others they get leaks or go out. Compressor rebuild here is $325.00.

For a combo I would rather have this than a National or Ap

It's a "decent" machines, I'm certainly not a fan of USI, they're cheaply made.  Don't pay $1200 though, that's a ridiculous price, I pick these machines up for free around here from vendors that don't want them.  If they work and are fairly clean and in good shape, I'd say $800 max.

I bought four of those for $600.   One set was actually more modern and would take 20 oz. bottles and had a traditional column set up for the beverages.  I traded two of them for a Crane 171 and still have one in my garage and using one half in a car shop as a second snack machine.  From what I've heard, the combo machines are best when you need to have second location at a large facility where you already have full size machines in a primary location.

Archived