USI 3130 - four selections not working

rjh914

I battling a problem with a 23 select USI 3130 snack machine connected to a satellite 6 select soda machine.

Four vending motors (A5, C5, D5 snack and H5 soda) stopped working suddenly.  Called tech support and they told me it pretty much had to be a problem with a wire as all "5" selections key off the same wire.  I ran continuity checks from the control board to the top motor tray harness and found no problems.  Then ran continuity checks through the motor wiring itself - nothing wrong.  I swapped the motor from A5 with another motor.  The original A5 motor worked in this new slot and the replacement motor would not work in A5, so I know it's not the motor causing it.

I've had similar problems with this type of set up in the past and have always found a wiring problem.  I was on site today three hours trying to find a loose wire.  Is there anything else that could be causing this? 

Thanks in advance,

Bob Hill

Hill Vending 

Welcome to the forum Bob.

Do your other #5 selections work properly?  You may also have B5, E5 and maybe F5 motors in your machine.  If you have those motors and they do vend then you can rule out the keypad and the logic board.  If your selections don't include any other #5 selections then I would suspect the keypad.  Before you replace it you should try disconnecting it from the logic board a couple of times to see if that cleans up any corrosion on the contacts.  Also do as cvending recommends and try repricing those selections. 

Another thing to check is if any of the #5 selections has a bad connection on the motors themselves, looking particularly for reversed connectors on the motors.  The common 5 wire is solid blue.  Did you leave one probe stuck in the Blue wire pinout on the board and then move your other probe to each shelf's end of the Blue wire where it connects to the motors?  Make sure you do your continuity tests with no power applied or with the shelf motor header unplugged from the board.  If you have a shelf without a 5 motor you should also check for any damaged blue wire on that shelf.  If you don't have continuity to any particular Blue wire at any shelf, then check the Blue wire as it exits the shelf connector to the right of the shelf as it's very common to get wire breaks there.

Test vend entire machine. Motor test should allow it. When you push the mode button the display should tell you how many motors are present. If it is correct then do test vend of all motors and see if they all run. If so the keypad is most likely bad. If not then you have a broken terminal wire on a shelf, 

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to close out this topic.  The keypad tested fine.  Any selection that included a "5" failed (4 motors total).  I was able to change the prices.  Motor count showed 25 instead of 29.

Ran continuity checks from control board all the way to the motor and found no problems.

I replaced the control board with a repaired unit and all is fixed.

Archived