Suggestions for Debit/Credit Card

Veteran78

Rather new to the business, recently bought an existing business. Secured a new account today and they wanted the option of debit/credit cards. None of my existing machines have this feature. Any suggestions for readers and service providers?

Thanks in advance!

Glad you finally made the jump.  I never saw you post that you actually bought a route, or I just forgot since we haven't heard from you in a while.  I hope it's working well for you and congratulations on the new account you got!

You can add a card reader to any machine that has MDB coinage in it already or is capable of having MDB units installed.  The card readers use the MDB connections so the coin mech and bill validator have to already be MDB for it to work.  USA Technologies is the easiest source to get card readers from and they have the required back office merchant service to tie into the card readers.  They are also the easiest to install and get to work with your machines.  The card readers are generally about $239 each if buying in small numbers.  If you were planning to add them to several machines you might find that there is a cheaper lease deal from USAT for a larger quantity, but you'd need to check with them.

What models of machines do you want to add the card readers to?  With that info I can tell you what it will take to do this.

Thanks, it's been an interesting experience. Of course, knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have bought the business. The resources for assistance is nearly non-existent. I guess that's good in a way, as I would think that would be a gauge as to how stiff the competition is. I haven't purchased the machines yet for this new location. But a snack machine that I'm looking at buying for it is a USI 3158. I've been looking at drinks machines. The machines will be outdoors, not directly exposed to the elements, but they will be subjected to the cold and heat. It's for a new apartment complex that has 180 units. But if I'm going to add the readers, I think I'm going to add that feature at another location. But I don't remember what machines I have there. I'll look at them when I service them this weekend. This is one of my bigger locations. Have total of 6 machines, 3 snack and 3 drink; but I would only add a reader to one of the snack and drjnk machines that get the most traffic.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm not sure which machine the 3158 is because there isn't a dedicated manual for it but that model is new enough that is should be a SM6 machine and be a MDB machine. You need to know that it isn't outdoor rated so it can't be in a location that will ever get wet. What kind of spot will it be in outside and do you plan on securing the machines in cages? If you don't they will get vandalized; it's only a matter of time.

I'm not sure which machine the 3158 is because there isn't a dedicated manual for it but that model is new enough that is should be a SM6 machine and be a MDB machine. You need to know that it isn't outdoor rated so it can't be in a location that will ever get wet. What kind of spot will it be in outside and do you plan on securing the machines in cages? If you don't they will get vandalized; it's only a matter of time.

The machines won't be in an area where they'll be exposed to rain and whatnot. They'll be in a sheltered area next to the fitness center at an upper scale apartment complex. I got confirmation last night that the machine is compatible with a card reader. Just need to find a decent drink machine now.

The machines won't be in an area where they'll be exposed to rain and whatnot. They'll be in a sheltered area next to the fitness center at an upper scale apartment complex. I got confirmation last night that the machine is compatible with a card reader. Just need to find a decent drink machine now.

Since this is an apartment complex, don't be too quick to jump in with a card reader.  You need to see how good the sales are first.  You might be surprised to find that sales won't support the card reader.  Apartment vending sales are totally dependent on the demographics of the tenants.  If you have low income apartments with lots of kids running around your sales will be much higher than a complex with high rent and higher income tenants.  You might want to look into the cheaper and easier PayRange cashless device instead.  It has a lower upfront cost and no monthly fees.  

You also need to be aware of the higher vandalism rate at any apartment complex.  It's usually just a matter of time before your unprotected machines are tampered with or broken into.  Cages are the best security.

Randy,

That's cheap for a credit card reader, here we are paying over twice that amount.

That's because your money is so worthless Reel  ;D  ;D  ;D

Check with A&M Vending about an AMS Outsider - it's a very good machine and rated for exterior use which is important for liability reasons.  As I recall, A&M is located in Georgia.  This machine will also accept the card reader - and do add the cage as Apartment complexes are notorious for vandalism.

Since this is an apartment complex, don't be too quick to jump in with a card reader.  You need to see how good the sales are first.  You might be surprised to find that sales won't support the card reader.  Apartment vending sales are totally dependent on the demographics of the tenants.  If you have low income apartments with lots of kids running around your sales will be much higher than a complex with high rent and higher income tenants.  You might want to look into the cheaper and easier PayRange cashless device instead.  It has a lower upfront cost and no monthly fees.  

You also need to be aware of the higher vandalism rate at any apartment complex.  It's usually just a matter of time before your unprotected machines are tampered with or broken into.  Cages are the best security.

You raise a valid point, thanks. I think I'll forgo the card readers for now. But the manager implied that was something that should be available. I'll check into the cages. Can the cages be bought separately from the machines and install them onto the machines, or how does that work?

I have credit card readers on all my machines via USA Tech G9 units. They tie into my back end VMS (vending mgmt software) and report inventory, sales, etc (remember they do the cash as well if you choose)...They are about $8 per unit/month plus a transaction fee for every item sold. You also of course have to buy/lease the units up front....The money you save by prekitting and knowing what is going on with your business is invaluable...this is why all the big players use it.

Go on craigslist

Some folks get a local fab/ welding place to whip them up

Used 300-600 new a grand

Good point! I have a friend that does metal fabrication. Why didn't I think of that earlier...lol

You should also check with a company in Washington state called Ferrotek.  They used to build a really slick knockdown cage that, once put together and bolted down, was very secure.  I ordered a couple for a customer a few years ago and they were well designed and easy to assemble.  Being knocked down on a skid made them very easy to ship and then to transport.  They even modified one to be wider for an AP 320 frozen machine with a tower connected to it.  They did nice work.

You should also check with a company in Washington state called Ferrotek.  They used to build a really slick knockdown cage that, once put together and bolted down, was very secure.  I ordered a couple for a customer a few years ago and they were well designed and easy to assemble.  Being knocked down on a skid made them very easy to ship and then to transport.  They even modified one to be wider for an AP 320 frozen machine with a tower connected to it.  They did nice work.

Thanks. Any idea on pricing? ballpark?

Archived