USI cb 300 refrigeration kicks off power

AngryChris

I have a cb300 that I just installed that trips the breaker ONLY when the refrigeration is about to kick on. It happens instantly when plugged in but it does not happen when the thermostat is off. I figure it's just a short in the deck. Could it be anything else? I find it hard to believe that it could be the compressor.

AngryChris

It could be a wire under the cover that powers the compressor and is burnt, grounded against metal, or the compressor is locked up causing it to trip breaker.

I had that happen to a Vendo.

After I fixed wire it ran again.

cajun

I had to transport this on its back so it's very possible that something got frayed and shorted out somewhere.  The reason why I highly doubt it's the compressor is because 1) it shuts off the breaker INSTANTLY upon giving it power (rather than waiting for the compressor to have enough time to actually kick on) and 2) I just had this deck serviced by a good company and it ran fine before I removed it from its last location because of some jerks that don't understand the concept of doing real business with someone.

Thanks cajun for bringing that up.  I am going to bring another deck with me tomorrow (if I make it in time) to try to resolve this issue.  Bringing another deck should at least enable me to diagnose if something else is going on... but I am about 80% sure that swapping out decks will solve my current problem (can't power on refrigeration).

You might have broken the compressor by laying it down especially if you hit a sharp bump or the machine laid down or was stood up hard. There is a rotor inside the bell housing that is supported by internal springs. If the rotor came off the springs then you have what's called a locked rotor and that means it is toast. If you don't have a short in the refrigeration wiring or at the cold control then that will be the cause of an instant breaker trip.

You might have broken the compressor by laying it down especially if you hit a sharp bump or the machine laid down or was stood up hard. There is a rotor inside the bell housing that is supported by internal springs. If the rotor came off the springs then you have what's called a locked rotor and that means it is toast. If you don't have a short in the refrigeration wiring or at the cold control then that will be the cause of an instant breaker trip.

Maybe, but it seems as if it would still take at least a second or two before the compressor would actually try to turn on when given power.

I swapped decks out. I couldn't tell if the other deck was working when I took it out of my garage as it was slightly below freezing. I plugged it in at my house at about 67 degrees and let it run. No frost seemed to accrue so I held the evaporator fan and noticed ice within seconds. The ice melted pretty quick when I let the fan run again. Now it's in the machine and I'll check back in an hour or so.

Archived