Royal 340?

I have a Royal 6-select machine (540? 340?) and I got a call twice last week (Wednesday and Friday) about the machine not giving change back after delivering the can.  After delivering the can, the display would go blank and stay blank for some time.  When I got there Thursday, the machine was working fine.  I want to believe it's the coin mech causing the machine to stop working as it prevents the machine from completing its cycle, but I am also afraid it could be the board.

I haven't had to change out a coin mech on a Royal like this and I did see Merlin Version 5 or 2000 series on the inner door somewhere... will this take a TRC 6000?  I believe that a version 5.2 or higher can be changed to MDB but I am not sure if that is the problem or not.  I have a TRC 6000 that I could bring but I want to bring the right type of coin mech.

Any ideas on what might cause the machine to stop operating (apparently not take money or do anything) for a while before going back into operational mode?  I did try it several times with no problems.

You can only use a 24V coin mech in either 12 or 15 pin configuration.  If you want to do MDB I believe the board has to be ver. 5.11 or later and then you need a Royal MDB harness.  I think I have the harness if you need one for MDB.

Update: I arrived on location and the machine appeared to have no power to the board (service mode did nothing, no exact change or sold out light, blank display). However, the USA bill acceptor was flashing for "low change" even though the mech was full. I brought a 9302-L with me but it needs to be repaired too eventually. I removed power for about 60 seconds and everything came back on and functioned normally. I vebded about 25 cans out without any problem.

It may have been locked up. Check the lights in your machine, an adjacent machine and in the ceiling for bad bulbs.

I'll check again but I don't recall anything near it. It happened Wednesday AND Friday. It was working when I got there on Thursday but it was not working when I got there on Monday. We'll see if I get another call soon.

Archived