Malfunction of Change Return

laip51

We have five of a same model combo machine. All of them have ePort CC units. Only one of them is doing strange things. Within a couple of days, the quarter coin holder is empty and there is a discrepancy in income vs products. We were thinking it might have to do with the escrow of $5 the CC people put on the small sales and credit back later, and somehow it is pumping out quarters instead?  Or maybe there is a smartphone app working the CC device? It could, of course, not be related to the CC. There is, however, no sign of any physical entry of the machine. Anybody out there with similar experience? I might also point out that we only price products in .25 increments so might explain quarters only return..

Card readers don't give change back at all as the transactions are all electronic. The same applies to phone apps if your using a Payrange, etc. Your issue is probably just due to the number of bills used which would be indicated by very few coins in the coin box, especially quarters of which there should be none. Check your mech to see if it put quarters into the coin tube. If not then you need a new coin mech. If you find little change in the coin box then it's due to all thd bills used, especially if some are fives. Check if the machine will change a bill with no purchase. You might find people using it as a bill changer. Also verify that all pricing is correct on every selection.

I understand all you are saying Randy. The problem is that there are not enough bills present to equal the products dispensed by a long way. You are correct about electronic only handling of the money with CC. I am merely speculating on a possible smartphone app or electronic device that could hack the system. There are quarters present in the coin box but gone from the coin tube. The entire point is...product is being vended without pay along with the bonus of all the quarters. Even with a key, it isn't likely someone is selectively taking some products and money but not all? Our only vandalized machine was in this location sometime back. We found out later that the previous operator removed his machine after three times break in. Needless to say we are opting out of continuing service. I merely posted this to see if anyone had the exact scenario  with the quarters.

There isn't anyway to hack into a machine regardless of what people claim on the internet.  If the mech won't put quarters into the tube but only to the coin box then your coin mech is bad.  Did you leave the coin mech full of change last time?  Have you tested the machine with coins?  Do any of them give a credit but are returned to the coin return?  If so then the coin mech is bad. 

We will try the suggested coin testing. We always leave the tubes full at every servicing. The main problem here is that products are gone and the money present is nowhere near the  proper amount. We are just curious regarding the coincidental emptying of the quarter tube. If nobody else has had this experience, so be it. Removing the machine to elsewhere and having no further problem should tell us that it is someone gaining non forced entry and not taking everything.

We will try the suggested coin testing. We always leave the tubes full at every servicing. The main problem here is that products are gone and the money present is nowhere near the  proper amount. We are just curious regarding the coincidental emptying of the quarter tube. If nobody else has had this experience, so be it. Removing the machine to elsewhere and having no further problem should tell us that it is someone gaining non forced entry and not taking everything.

It could also mean electromagnetic interference, causes jackpots, coin payout etc

doesn't always have to be a theif

look for browned bulb flickering burned out lights etc

also try putting a piece of paper in between the door and pinning it there

if its still there and change is gone then electrical malfuntion

it its gone then its a thief

I use a small piece of tape on the top of the door as a seal to find out if the machine is being opened while I'm not there. I caught a maintenance guy getting into a machine and taking product this way. Come to find out, the door was not latching all the way and he would pry it up just a little to open it and visa versa to close it. It took a couple months to figure it out.

Archived