Drink Machine Not Cooling

I received a call last week in regards to my Royal Vendor Drink Machine not cooling.  After my observation, I noticed both the condenser and evaporator fans were running as they should, but the compressor was clicking as if it was trying to kick on but never did.  Therefore, I installed a 3-1 Hard Start Kit today and the compressor kicked on as it should.  However, after about a min or two the compressor would kick itself back off and the condenser fan stopped running as well.  Then after another min or two the compressor and condenser fan would start back up and repeat this on and off cycle.  The temp of machine is showing 42 degrees and the machine is inside of a warehouse where there is not Heat or AC.  With this in mind the temp outside was like 36 degrees so it was already cold inside the building. 

Any thoughts on what is causing the compressor to cycle on and off in such a short period of time? 

Without the temperature inside the machine rising much above the 42 degree threshold you probably won't know if the hard start kit is really the solution since your ambient temp is so low.  What you should probably do is unplug the compressor and let the fan inside warm the cabinet up to about 45-50 degrees.  This might need to happen overnight.  Then return to check the temperature and plug the compressor back in.  When it then starts, monitor how long it runs and if it runs down below 42 to about 35-37 degrees before turning off.  If it can't go that low before turning off then you are drawing too much current from the compressor and it will short cycle.  However, when it does short cycle as it is now the condenser fan should remain running if everything is wired correctly.  If the fan and compressor both turn off then you have something in the machine causing that such as an incorrect target temperature, a bad refrigeration relay or a bad temp sensor.  The only way to check the sensor is to put a thermometer in the machine to check against what the display shows.

Thanks for the tip AZ, I will give that a try.

In regards to your statement "However, when it does short cycle as it is now the condenser fan should remain running if everything is wired correctly", see my wiring setup below.

3 in 1 Starter Wiring:

I have the smooth wires from fan and power wire wired to hot side of 3-1(black wire closes to black connector wire for compressor)

I have the wires with ridges from fan and power wire wired to negative side of 3-1 (black wire closes to white connector wire for compressor).

The common, start, and run wiring are all wired as shown on the 3 in 1 which is the same as shown on the compressor cap.

Generally when I install a hard start kit, I connect the 3 colored leads to the compressor and then tie the two 110v leads into the hot and neutral coming into the compressor.  This leaves the fan still wired to the 110v and the hard start 110v leads simply replace the hot and neutral that had been going to the compressor bell housing.  By doing this the fan will still have power any time the machine is calling for cooling and the compressor will also get power (through the hard start kit) when the machine calls for cooling.  In this way if the compressor is off while the fan is still running you will know that the compressor has overloaded the hard start kit and is bad.  Basically the same as if the compressor was still wired from the factory.  The hard start kit just replaces the factory start relay and capacitor and while it can give a bigger boost to start the compressor (hard starting) it may not work for long if there's a serious issue inside the bell housing.

Question:

How does the Royal Vendor Cold Control and Temp Sensor interact with each other?

Some folks use the terms interchangeably, but the reality is you have one or the other. Cold control is usually a manual temperature control that turns the compressor on and off and Royal used these until the early 2000s. Since the Merlin 3 and G2, they have used a temp sensor to be used by the control board to turn the compressor on and off via a relay and is the most common set up.

Archived