Snack box update

bhumphrey829

On 10/26/2017 at 10:22 AM, hope4honor said:

Bhumphrey829 i am scratching my head and really wondering what i am doing wrong when i see your theft rate. And no.....i do not think you are lying. I do feel like I MUST BE doing something wrong. 

I have about 50 boxes out now. Pulled quite a few. I have the mint pink Candy for a Cause boxes out. I am crazy about keeping product fresh. Started july - have not gone 15 days without a swap. 

I have a few - about 5 - that shrinkage is under 10 per cent. All my boxes are in retail places. I do NOT do offices (not opposed by any means - at retail i am excellent in placing - the few offices i tried could not get anyone in charge to come out and talk to me - all the same garbage....leave a card, give me ur website and Mr Smith or Jones will call u).

my boxes are with mints and snack chocolates. Each item i place costs me roughly a dime. They sell 50 cents. 2 for a dollar. The past few weeks an "average" box might have 30 pieces ate - so my cost is about 3 bucks. The average collect on that lately has been about 5.50.

Again several boxes are great. I emptied a box yesterday - 41 bucks in it. 15 pieces left. A profit of around 24 bucks for ten days. Delighted with that. 

I work a big city area but stick to the medium priced suburbs to place my boxes.  Not in the inner city.

So my question not just to you Mr Humphrey but everyone reading this - am i better shooting for office locations?? If i get office locations am i better with a more "traditional" (chips, crackers, etc)  offering with much less candy? 

Should i stick to the retail type places i now have - chinese n mex restaurants, hair and barber salons, shoe stores, nail salons and try a more "traditional" mix (chips, crackers, etc) with those type customers? Product cost will at least double - granted i will sell each item for a buck - and if a box has the same theft rate as a box that pays $5.50 now i will be upside down quick. 

What i do NOT want to do is pay a locator. Profit margin too thin. So....if i go into offices i need to learn to do myself. Again i am EXCELLENT at locating in retail. 

I am all ears. I really listen to suggestions. I am hoping you guys have some insight.  

You know...I am no way like the master....Mr. H and all,but plastic acrylic boxes are awesome. Big bag of bite size candy...14 bucks...one box takes half a bag..anything over 7 is profit!(after charity of course!)

On 10/30/2017 at 8:01 AM, hope4honor said:

Thank you for also responding Jerry!

So when you have thise acrylic boxes Jerry what price do you set?

are they doing pretty well?

It's bite size candy. So it's only a quarter. I also don't stress that they don't have to have a quarter for each piece of candy.

2 minutes ago, hope4honor said:

How do you stress Dont need a quarter? (Sign that says 4 for a dollar?) just curious. 

I think that he meant that he doesn't worry about the shortage (as long as he's not getting ripped-off).  Correct me Jerry if I'm mistaken. :)  As with any Honor System (whether mint or lollipop boxes or the honor snack trays), shortages ARE a part of the system.  You can't eliminate shortage, only try to minimize it.  So what I believe Jerry is referring to is that as long as he's making money, he's not "stressed" if he averages 20 cents an item. :) 

On 11/4/2017 at 11:41 PM, bhumphrey829 said:

I figure this will probably be the last "good" average til after the holdays.

Hey Buddy!  Nice week!  GREAT USAGE!  I don't think the holidays will catch you this early.  My experience is that the 3 weeks leading up to Christmas are some of the BEST weeks of the year.  Then, of course, the bottom falls out during the two weeks of Christmas and New Years.  I think you have a few more weeks of good volume.  Way to go, Bryan!   :) 

1 hour ago, flintflash said:

Hey Buddy!  Nice week!  GREAT USAGE!  I don't think the holidays will catch you this early.  My experience is that the 3 weeks leading up to Christmas are some of the BEST weeks of the year.  Then, of course, the bottom falls out during the two weeks of Christmas and New Years.  I think you have a few more weeks of good volume.  Way to go, Bryan!   :) 

Thanks buddy, by they way, do you still put the same amount of products in your boxes even during the "slow" period or do you cut back?

13 hours ago, bhumphrey829 said:

Thanks buddy, by they way, do you still put the same amount of products in your boxes even during the "slow" period or do you cut back?

We always pack 70 items in each box, regardless of seasons or "down" periods.  This keeps things easier for my packers to continue their routine and also for my drivers when working shortages.  The slower times are generally only a few weeks, and then things are back to normal.  If we have 2 or more boxes at an account, we may down them (remove) a box, but otherwise, we stay consistent.  Just manage your inventory by looking for longer shelf life items for those slower times.  Also, that's a great time to really change up your menu and pack some different things to keep the interest in your box.  Our slower times are not drastically slower, because we strive to make changes in the inventory to keep the customer looking in our box for the "new" items.  Hope this helps! :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 8:11 AM, flintflash said:

I think that he meant that he doesn't worry about the shortage (as long as he's not getting ripped-off).  Correct me Jerry if I'm mistaken. :)  As with any Honor System (whether mint or lollipop boxes or the honor snack trays), shortages ARE a part of the system.  You can't eliminate shortage, only try to minimize it.  So what I believe Jerry is referring to is that as long as he's making money, he's not "stressed" if he averages 20 cents an item. :) 

Pulling $19.00 and up out of acrylic box. Not worried if each piece is accounted for. I've only used half a bag.... Win/win for me!