OpenVDI

kiwi

Can someone explain to me what OpenVDI mean?

My understanding is that it's a term VDI means Vending Data Interchange so open means being able to exchange data between different VMS companies as long as your telemetry device is capable of openVDI.

For example: Parlevels VMS can be used with USATech, Cantaloupe, Nayax telemetry devices....  so does this also work in reverse where Cantaloupe's VMS can be used with a Parlevel Box?

Are all telemetry boxes & VMS's now OpenVDI allowing you to mix & match suppliers & also protect yourself incase a company who's hardware devices your using goes out of business or are their still companies that aren't... is Nayax OpenVDI?

3 hours ago, SCOTT1963 said:

This is a pretty good article describing OpenVDI , Essentially it is an industry standard like MDB

http://www.vendingmarketwatch.com/article/10256868/open-technology-standards-arrive

Thanks for sharing this... I am just not sure if I am more confused now or before I read it :blink:

Maybe I need a picture book to explain it in a way I can understand ;D ;D ;D

Okay.... I think that the part that was confusing to me were the terms OpenVDI & NAMA VDI

What I am now understanding after reading the article that you posted is that NAMA VDI are the standards used to allow different software solutions to link with different  software providers.

I think where I was confusing myself was where I was trying to understand the difference between OpenVDI & NAMA VDI

"All info extracted, on whatever system,  can be read across all platforms".

I think that I will just leave it here before I confuse myself anymore ;D

It's enough to force a man to want to drink!!! ;D ;D ;D

So with info being able to be extracted using any system are there any preferred telemetry devices?

A lot of operators on here (TVF) seem to be using USATech hardware & credit card readers but I not sure whether this is a hardware/software choice or because of their pricing... also I believe that some of the bigger software providers require a minimum of hardware units to be purchased (maybe this has changed) so this might be another reason USATech is so popular.

Are their any other hardware (telemetry) devises that anybody would recommend?

Just now, kiwi said:

A lot of operators on here (TVF) seem to be using USATech hardware & credit card readers

Also... would anybody be able to tell me if the credit card readers that USATech use are actually re-branded oti (on track innovations) readers?  

6 minutes ago, SCOTT1963 said:

USA TECH is there own home brew.

Okay... I always thought that USATech  used oti & vivo readers (previously) but I could be wrong. They do look very similar in design.

USAT is now using the Vivo reader, but the modems are their own platform. Any reader and read a swipe, it needs a modem to translate and transmit.

While we're on the subject, ask Cajun about dat open VDI he caught in New Iberia dat one time! Had to go to da doktor twiced to git rid of it.H-eek2.gif

6 minutes ago, lacanteen said:

USAT is now using the Vivo reader, but the modems are their own platform. Any reader and read a swipe, it needs a modem to translate and transmit.

I thought vivo (vivotech) went out of business?

8 minutes ago, lacanteen said:

While we're on the subject, ask Cajun about dat open VDI he caught in New Iberia dat one time! Had to go to da doktor twiced to git rid of it.H-eek2.gif

I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read this.... ;D

2 minutes ago, kiwi said:

I thought vivo (vivotech) went out of business?

You may be right. I just cracked open a new one and it's made by Saturn. They are all pretty much interchangeable. It's the brains that make it go.

Just now, lacanteen said:

You may be right. I just cracked open a new one and it's made by Saturn. They are all pretty much interchangeable. It's the brains that make it go.

Yes... the saturn is manufactured by oti.

33 minutes ago, lacanteen said:

I am still having a chuckle about this... I think that this comment should win the award for TVF comment of the year!!! ;D

4 hours ago, SCOTT1963 said:

Sorry, I didn't know you were asking about the hardware.

Don't be sorry mate... I was asking about both the hardware and software as I was wanting to know whether a telemetry device like the one I listed above was compatible with different VMS's like parlevel for example.

I appreciate your input as your knowledge on this subject is far superior to mine B)

I have not seen that particular unit/company in the US, which is not the final word on the subject; it could be out there somewhere.  So far, I have used: Nayax/InOne, USAT, Payrange, and ParLevel.... I love to experiment but it has left me with a real mess of a system!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2016 at 8:36 AM, Southeast Treats said:

I have not seen that particular unit/company in the US, which is not the final word on the subject; it could be out there somewhere.  So far, I have used: Nayax/InOne, USAT, Payrange, and ParLevel.... I love to experiment but it has left me with a real mess of a system!!

Southeast,

Out of curiosity, which unit do you like the best from a hardware standpoint if you wernt considering software? We have used all of them Payrange, USATech(Edge, G6/7/8/9), Nayax, Coinco(Inone), MEI RDP, and Cantaloupe. Payrange was only on micromarkets and as a request by a customer and the Cantaloupe systems and MEI were taken offline over 2 years ago for us. I really like the Nayax reader because it seems to be the most future proof and reliable. 

5 hours ago, Broncho said:

Southeast,

Out of curiosity, which unit do you like the best from a hardware standpoint if you wernt considering software? We have used all of them Payrange, USATech(Edge, G6/7/8/9), Nayax, Coinco(Inone), MEI RDP, and Cantaloupe. Payrange was only on micromarkets and as a request by a customer and the Cantaloupe systems and MEI were taken offline over 2 years ago for us. I really like the Nayax reader because it seems to be the most future proof and reliable. 

The new Nayax units by Amit have a lot going for them, small, tough, easy to use and install.   I just installed my first ParLevel unit and I like the design but don't have enough experience with it yet to say it's better.   Payrange seems to work for many operators but I have had very little success with it.  Bottom line for me is all the CC systems do what they are supposed to do, so price is important.  Also, the 3G network will at some time go the way of the 2G network and require all of them to be upgraded.  Best estimate on that is 5+ years from what I am hearing, so it's not an immediate concern....

8 hours ago, Southeast Treats said:

The new Nayax units by Amit have a lot going for them, small, tough, easy to use and install.   I just installed my first ParLevel unit and I like the design but don't have enough experience with it yet to say it's better.   Payrange seems to work for many operators but I have had very little success with it.  Bottom line for me is all the CC systems do what they are supposed to do, so price is important.  Also, the 3G network will at some time go the way of the 2G network and require all of them to be upgraded.  Best estimate on that is 5+ years from what I am hearing, so it's not an immediate concern....

Nayax new VPOS touch looks amazing from a hardware standpoint but is a bit expensive. Its a single unit all built into the reader and they are saying the expected lifetime on it is 7-8 years with the technology. It has built in camera, 3.5" OLED touch screen, 4G and gorilla glass. Only certain accounts can justify the increase in price by an extra $100, but if I'm not replacing the unit for 7 years I dont see a problem. Also Nayax has a phone app just like payrange and have for a very long time so theres no need for a second unit. Nayax has a lease program as well so its affordable when doing large installs or replacing defunct 2G readers.

Archived